“Awesome Experience!”

Ketchikan Shore Excursion: Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour
Ranked #1 of 97 Tours in Ketchikan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This tour is also known as "Deadliest Catch Crab Fishermen's Tour". You can come aboard the "Aleutian Ballad" crabbing vessel as seen on season 2 of the Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch". Depart Ketchikan Alaska for a 3 hour trip to catch king crab, snow crab, octopus, fish, prawns and more. This tour also features some of the best eagle viewing on the planet. Share the allure and adventure that draw fishermen to the sea. Fishing legends that have worked the Bering Sea are your guides, some you may have seen on TV. The vessel has been retrofitted for guests comfort and fun, with a "live" tank on deck to allow for closer viewing of the wondrous creatures brought on board. Guests stay warm, dry and comfortable while we sail calm and protected waters. This is the REAL ALASKA and you won't want to miss it! Age limit for this tour is 5 years old due to maritime regulations.
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed an Alaska cruise in mid-July. We filled our time in the three ports we visited with recommended excursions. We went whale watching in Juneau and rode the White Pass and Yukon train to Frazier, BC from Skagway. Both were very decent excursions and we had a wonderful time and got some great pictures. However, the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour put them to shame. We boarded the Aleutian Ballad when it was almost full and still had great seats! The demonstrations, stories and anecdotes shared by the crew and captain were very entertaining. Allowing the guests to participate by holding the day's catch of crabs, starfish and prawns added an interactive experience that you really don't get on most excursions. But the highlight was the stop we made about half way through. They told us to grab our cameras and find a spot with a view and then they started tossing chunks of fish into the water. First one beautiful bald eagle began flying toward the boat, then another and another and another... There must have been twenty bald eagles circling and swooping down a few yards in front of us. It was absolutely awesome! If you're ever in Ketchikan, be sure to check this one out.

2  Thank Melinda M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was a fun, entertaining, and informative excursion with so many fantastic photo opportunities!! In addition to all the different types of crabs we were tutored in how they were fished, a passenger spotted a whale and they turned the boat and brought us to the within a few yards of this magnificent mammal and we all got numerous photos. A pleasant surprise was when they took us to an eagle nesting area and pitched in fish and we were rewarded with 30 minutes of eagles swarming overhead and diving to retrieve the fish. I have so many beautiful pictures of the eagles! I booked this excursion for my husband as he is a fan of the Deadliest Catch series (the Aleutian Ballad was in season 2) and I have to say I wasn't expecting a lot of enjoyment for myself but I must say I loved it!! The crew went out of their way to make it a memorable time for us all and shared some very heartfelt stories of their experiences upon the sea. I would recommend this excursion to everyone.

2  Thank RheaJeena
Reviewed July 23, 2013

All crew members are nice and helpful, there are stories, demonstrations, learning and sightseeing. All places are good and you may go up and down the decks, you may touch and hold the crabs. All in all a great time.

2  Thank mdommdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Brilliant trip,a real pleasure to spend time on this crab boat,with these guys,total respect for the danger of the job they do,great trip,saw and learned so much, captain Dave true gentleman, you MUST do this trip. Thank you guys.

2  Thank CraigRoma
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We really enjoyed this. I would definitely do it more than once. Fantastic photo opportunities. Learned alot about fishing in Alaska.

1  Thank Lon_Yaeger