“I don't think you can do better!”

Salmon Catcher Lodge
Ranked #4 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Kenai
“I don't think you can do better!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Salmon Catcher Lodge Aug 21-26, 2013

Lodge staff was very proactive in making sure that we had every opportunity to fish and see the beauty of Alaska. When weather caused our float plane flyout to be canceled, lodge staff immediately rescheduled our float plane flyout to another day and then made arrangements to have us fish for salmon on the beautiful Kenai River. On the day we were scheduled for a deep sea halibut fishing trip the seas were rough and the boat Captain chose to not go out. That was no problem because the lodge staff immediately checked weather conditions in Homer, AK and got us on another larger deep sea vessel for the afternoon and we caught our limit of halibut. Second attempt at float plane flyout was successful and we saw the beauty of Alaska from the float plane as well as more salmon fishing. All of the fishing guide services which were arranged for us were absolutely fantastic. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Salmon Catcher Lodge. The lodge personnel cleaned, vacuum sealed and froze our fish. They even shipped them to us! The lodge owner, Terry, made it all come together quite nicely while Chuck and Adriane were very kind and generous to supply us with whatever we needed. We would love to go back to Alaska and when we do Salmon Catcher Lodge will be where we stay. The cabins were beautiful and nicely appointed with modern style kitchen, satellite, big screen TVs, lovely furniture, and the bathrooms were nice. The grounds were immaculate and cabins were located with trees all around which allowed the area to be serene and peaceful. I cannot compliment the staff enough for making our vacation absolutely perfect!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rick E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Galveston, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was highly impressed with the quality of the accomodations, personnel, and fishing at the Salmon Catcher Lodge. We called the Chamber of Commerce to question them about further recommendations, and they suggested the Salmon Catcher Lodge.

When I called the Lodge, I spoke directly to the owner, Terry. He handled every bit of our details and we spoke with him frequently during the stay for all of our Alaskan questions. His family is also very kind and helpful. My husband and I are from Texas and were quite discouraged at the prices and the reviews for hotels, motels, and B&B in Alaska. All places started at $170 since this is Alaska's peak time for outdoor activities and we went in the middle of the salmon run. Terry was generous with his time, and he offered us such an amazing price for our stay.

Noteworthy Points:
--This is not just a B&B. This is literally a five-star, spacious yet comfortable home on the Kenai River--which has amazing fishing--with open access to full kitchen, a grill, your own Mac computer, living spaces for relaxing, several porches to use, televisons and cable, a fancy massage chair, and very easy access to the Kenai. It is literally a two minute walk down to the water to fish.
--The attention to detail is impressive. For example, roses were placed in the rooms. The kitchen has two sinks, the stove is gas, there are ionized water available to drink, all patios have very comfortable furniture to sit, the fireplace is very nice, the carpet is super plushy and clean, each room has several closets, the rooms had energy efficient lights, there was gun storage and safes to use, the closets are large, each room had at least two beds, there was an upstairs game room with pool and ping pong, the stairs that led to the dock to fish were sturdy. One of the rooms had a tiled bathtub that included a fish mural on the wall. The entire place is tastefully decorated with Alaskan memorabilia, and is updated.
--At the mere age of 15, Terry's son, Adrian, was our own personal salmon fisherman expert. He taught us how to salmon fish, talked to us about ideal conditions, patiently helped us through repeated snagging of our lines, taught us how to set up our poles, and gave us the best spots on the dock. He really wanted us to catch a fish and helped us with everything we needed. We were quite successful and caught quite a few salmon! We also had access to Terry's boat to fish as well--but we did not need to use it since the dock fishing was so successful.
--Typically when I stay in a hotel or B&B I get the sense that the rooms are not cleaned very well and the places tend to smell musky. This Lodge absolutely did not feel that way. It was clean, airy, and comfortable. each room could sleep several individuals.
--The Master bedroom has a bathroom with a spacious jacuzzi tub. The lights are dimmable, and the areas surrounding the tub and tiled in great detail with natural colors--it was very romantic, particularly for our honeymoon.
--I was terrified of bears attacking us on the banks of Alaska while fishing. But the location of the lodge is not very condusive to bears thankfully and I felt very safe (there are bears around [it is Alaska after all] but we did not see any). We did see moose around, and it was amusing to see a female moose floating down the Kenai River past our lines, minding her own business and very relaxed :)

Since we recently got married and purchased a home, money is tight. We were expecting to stay in crappy motels for our honeymoon since that is all we can presently afford. Terry and the Lodge allowed us to have a real honeymoon with wonderful accomodations at such an affordable cost. Plus, it gave us two minute access to some of the best salmon fishing in Alaska. It cannot be beat.

We will absolutely come back here again. Thanks again to Terry and his family for an amazing experience and honeymoon stay :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linda S
delray beach
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Had an opportunity to stay at Salmon Catcher for four nights in early July on a family fishing trip with father and brother in law. Loved the PLACE. Really nice property. Nice staff and Bill who runs the place is great and seems to know everyone in Kenai as well which is never a bad thing!
Unfortuntalely, no king salmon this trip buy great fly out for silvers and our day halibet fishing was awesome.
Would definitetly recommend a stay and definitely use all of Bill's recommendations for fishing guides. All great people.
Hope i get the chance to return someday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank josh d
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My 14 year old son and I stumbled in to Kenai with no itinerary and wondering what to do. We went by the Chamber of Commerce and asked a volunteer what we could do in Kenai. He said "Fish!". Being from Texas, we didn't have a clue how to fish in Alaska and what was required. The volunteer at the Chamber also mentioned to call Terry at the Salmon Catcher Lodge because Terry just called and said he had an unexpected vacancy. I called and Terry answered the phone. Immediately, I realized that I struck gold in finding Terry's place. He was so nice and inviting and told me he had a cancellation and would love to set me up with a room and answer any questions I had about the area and the fishing.

I met Terry and his manager, Chuck at the lodge. They were warm, inviting, helpful, and treated us like family. Terry even invited us to his home on the river where his young son accompanied me to the tackle store and told me what kind of fishing license to purchase. Without even asking, his family showed us how to fish from the bank on the Kenai river. My son and his son were instant friends and the rest of Terry's family was incredibly nice. I'm still pinching myself at the luck in finding Terry's number. Terry's son cleaned and filleted our salmon and we were eating fresh salmon our first night.

We ended up staying one night at the lodge and two nights at Terry's home, which he also rents out as a bed and breakfast. Every detail was first class. Hardwood floors, granite counters, expensive bedding, commercial kitchen appliances. I can't emphasize how impressed I was with everything we experienced. The most shocking thing was the price. We paid no more than what it would have cost for most of the rundown motels in town. Unbelievable.I also inquired about halibut fishing in the Cook Inlet. Terry made a phone call and had a captain ready the next day for a fishing excursion. He could have done the same if I had wanted a float plane trip. They even process your fish and hold in their commercial freezers in the lodge!

If you are looking for an honest person and family man to take care of you...look no further. Book your trip early. I can't imagine any vacancies once word of this beautiful place gets out. I'll be planning next year's trip soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Todd S
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

My son and I decided to come to Alaska for a spur of the moment fishing trip. I was somewhat concerned about being able to book a trip on short notice. I feel Terry and Bill went out of their way to accomadate us. In my opinion, bang for our buck we could not have sone any better anywhere else. The facilities were virtually brand new. They have the ability to process your catch on site. We were booked with outstanding guides for all our guided fishing trips. We were so impressed we will diffenately return next year if my schedule and budget allow me to. I would highly recommend Salmon Catcher Lodge to anyone looking to go to Alaska.

• Stayed June 2013
Albuquerque
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My son and I stayed for five nights at the Salmon Catcher Lodge on a recent trip to Alaska. We loved the spacious suites and the appliances and furnishings. The proprietor was very helpful in every way, and we had some nice conversations with him. I loved the quiet in this country setting. Black-out shades would have been nice, as it never really got dark in June in Soldotna. The other improvement I would like to see (and the reason for 4 stars instead of 5 stars) would be for the lodge to serve breakfast. It was a nuisance to have to either cook breakfast everyday or go to a restaurant for breakfast, especially since we had some early times for guided fishing trips. I cannot figure out how anyone could provoke rudeness from the proprietor -- he seemed like a really jovial and nice person to us. If you come understanding the limitations of the lodge, you are pretty much bound to have a good stay here. Let's call it 4.5 stars!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SalmonCatcherOwner, Owner at Salmon Catcher Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Christopher. Thank you for your input that has brought to my attention an opportunity to become better at what we do. As of the 2014 Season we will have a light complimentary buffet breakfast and will have blackout drapes in all units. A 15% discount on your next visit for your inconvenience. Looking forward to meeting you next visit Terry Johnson Owner Salmon Catcher Lodge
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Recently spent here a week here while fishing the Kenai & Kasiloff Rivers. The place is a top notch lodge.
You can find more expensive lodging, but I doubt any nicer. It is a large facility with cabins or rooms to handle larger groups. It was almost empty during our stay, so not quite sure why the manager put us in the second floor unit below his third floor residence where we could hear him walking around or talking on the phone. The two bedroom unit was very nice, clean and roomy. Nicely furnished with even a big screen TV for the playoff sporting events that were going on last week. We did need a trip to the market for essential things like coffee, dish soap, salt. plastic bags, etc. The manager, Bill Davis, was helpful and might well have provided these things as well had we asked. He helped freeze our catch for shipping home and advised us an extra airline bag is much more economical then Fedex shipping of our catch. He arranged a pleasant and productive halibut trip through Riverbend at Deep Creek and a very enjoyable fly out through Talon Air to Wolverine Creek where our guide, Mark, was excellent.
The lodge is off the beaten path and not on the water, but it is in a quiet forested location and worthy of a stay

Room Tip: Individual units will be quieter than the multiple level units.