“Diamonds International and Royal Caribbean Scam......”

Diamonds International
Ranked #7 of 34 Shopping in Juneau
orlando
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Diamonds International and Royal Caribbean Scam......”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

On July 3, 2011, I purchased a pair of diamond stud earrings from your store in Juneau, AK under unprecedented circumstances for me. Once removed from the situation and able to process the information and experience that occurred, I realized I had been scammed, harassed, pressured, and brainwashed.
On board the Rhapsody of the Seas, Royal Caribbean cruise ship, I viewed the jewelry in the ship store, and Mr. ? gave Mr. ?, the personal shopping guide my number to my cabin. At that time, I did not think any further about looking for diamonds in Alaska! ?, the personal shopping guide called me, and stated he would arrange a time for the manager, the manager of the DI store in Juneau to show me some 2ct. diamond studs. He arranged this for 12:15 p.m. on July 3, 2011.
That day I was touring the city with my twin 8 year old boys by myself. At 12:15 p.m., I did not want to break the appointment James had arranged with Shashi, so I dropped in the store. Whoosh! Vultures descended. I had never met James, but he was there and met me. The manager ran over and pulled out ONE pair of stud earrings. The personal shopper I never met before stood by and never said another word, even when I turned to ask his advice. The manager never showed me any other choices guaranteeing me this 1.85 ct diamond stud earrings with EF color and NEVER mentioned the clarity. He just kept saying this was the best pair, and these are the ones I should buy while he was also pushing me to buy a necklace or a new ring! Like other professionals I deal with, he was not. Most people recommend you think about your purchase first. Suddenly, I have three men circling me, the manager being the leader. (What I mean by that, is you can tell this is all a staged game that the cruise ships and DI have concocted!) RCC's shopper slipped away, and I NEVER saw or heard from him again. My twin boys are sitting over on seats waiting on me, and I am waisting the time I have to see the beautiful city of Juneau being brainwashed and coerced to purchase something for the price he knows I am willing to spend. Under any other normal purchasing experience, I would not have bought these earrings. I know, because I have been in many stores, and I have walked out. I did purchase these earrings for $6,000, and they look like junk because of the setting and the I clarity that was never discussed with me. Once the manager ran my credit card and the purchase was made, he disappeared and turned over the business to somebody that I never even knew his name. Both the manager and this man guaranteed me I could return the earrings within 30 days if I wanted to do so. That is why I made the purchase, and that is why I want to return the earrings for the full purchase price immediately.
After making my purchase under duress, I was horrified at what occurred next. To set the stones in screw backs, this person took my twins and myself across the street to a “back alley” that appeared very dangerous and deserted. It scared my boys and me! Now, I feel stupid for even trusting this guy to take me up stairs to a back room that he stated was the living quarters for the DI workers. I wouldn’t let my dog live there! For all I know, there could have been someone waiting there to rob and rape us. Thankfully, that did not happen. The man was there that changes the settings. I was afraid to leave the stones thinking they might switch them. I left as quickly as I could because I was scared, and I picked the earrings up about an hour later at the store. I thought I would be receiving a “Certified” set of stones.The manager stated the studs were certified, but I find out when I pick the stones up they are NOT certified. Only a certificate with DI’s sale price and diamond color and clarity. When I looked at the posts, after getting back to the ship, the posts are crooked! Junk!! What a joke! The manager guaranteed me these earrings were“steel!” Mr.? on the ship stated that they were not steel, but a “good deal.” I don’t like to make ripples, especially on a vacation, so that is why I am doing this now. I would have raised my concerns on the ship, but everyone is so busy making a sell or an extra dollar of their schemes.
This whole transaction was a scam. All of this was completed while under duress and coercion which is illegal. Furthermore, my life and my children’s lives were placed in jeopardy by taking us to a very unsecure and secluded area.
I am hoping DI will honor what was stated to me, especially since the situation they placed me in was threatening, and refund my money.

Visited July 2011
45 Thank lingOrlando
ATekel, Manager at Diamonds International, responded to this review, December 19, 2015
Dear Valued Guest,

On Belhalf of Diamonds International we apologize for this experience that should have never happened to you! we know this happened years ago, but we would like if you haven't fixed your earrings to make this happen for you and if there is any other pending situation as well, our email is alaskamarketing@shopdi.com

We have worked hard on having the best staff and service and we do wish to have this situation turned around for you,

Have a lovely day,

Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“What a rip off!!”
Reviewed December 28, 2009

In May of 2009, my husband and I went on an Alaskan cruise for our 10th anniversary. Upon arriving in Juneau, AK we went to the Diamonds International store and talked with a salesman about upgrading my present diamond. He showed us the Crown of Light diamond, and we supposedly purchased a .92 carat one (We had all of the papers documenting it was indeed that). After arriving home, we had the diamond appraised twice, and neither of the appraisals came anywhere close to what the diamond was supposedly worth. After futher investigation, we found that it was only a .57 carat diamond, so they had switched diamonds on us. 2 months after they set the diamond in my ring, the setting also fell off. After jumping through all of the hoops that they demanded, I finally got my money back. They were the ones who should have been jumping through hoops to fix the situation, but I was the one who spent countless hours on the phone and computer trying to get my money back. It was a very unpleasant experience. I would never reccomend that anyone purchase anything from this company. It was a huge SCAM!! Buy locally, it's much safer.

36 Thank AlaskaIA
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our stores, we greatly appreciate all feedback as we use it to make our company better.

On behalf of Diamonds International I would like to sincerely apologize for your negative experience in store,We sincerely apologize for the situation you had to go through

Please email us at alaskamarketing@shopdi.com to follow up and revise your case completely until we find a solution that is most satisfying for you.

It will be a our pleasure to help you with this,

Many thanks
Western Washington
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“research before you buy”
Reviewed August 24, 2008

I'd been looking for a new watch and was encouraged to check out Diamonds International's watch store in Juneau by Bruce - Holland America's shopping guru. I am normally a die hard price/quality researcher. I read reviews on items and then search to find the best price I can from a reputable dealer. In this case I acted on impulse and paid $1190 for a Tag Heuer watch. After returning home, I found that I could've purchased the same watch locally for $900 and while there would've been tax on top of that, it still would've been a couple hundred dollars cheaper. I love the watch & it'll remind me of my amazing vacation in Alaska, but I count this as a lesson learned and won't act on impulse again in the future. On a brighter note, my girlfriend bought a watch at Blue Diamond in Ketchikan (also recommended by Bruce) and she got a Citizen Eco-Drive watch for $300 out the door and the best price I could find on it was about $410.

17 Thank K9RESQ
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to review our store and service,
We apologize on behalf of Diamonds International for this experience,
We hope you visit us in your next vacation,

Many thanks,

scottsdale
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Watch Out - The Cruise Liner Leads You To Diamonds International - Rip Off”
Reviewed February 2, 2008

My very kind husband wanted to buy me a diamond for our 25th. He attended the ships talks about shopping for gems. My husband had a talk with the lady who gave the shopping seminars on the ship and was convinced by her that the only place to go in Juneau was D.I. for a great deal. Long story short, we were set up big time! I mean she, the shopping expert, was even at D. I. when we came back to the store after our excursion to continue looking at diamonds (hmmm I wonder who told her to show up - the General Manager of the store knew we were coming back cause we told her we would. And guess what the more expensive stone that we were shown was already set in a setting and sized to my finger - very smooth - my poor husband was really set up and of course once the ring was on my finger, no way would he say no - to have all these people around oohing and ahhing- and there were quite a few, and then looking at him and saying - what do say- isn't it beautiful on her? It was a very special moment and the Holland America port of call agent, agent couldn't get over how beautiful it was and how beautiful it looked on my finger. She even assisted D.I. in getting my wedding band sized and my other ring put on a pendant and delivrering it to our state room - gee, we were so impressed with her helpfulness, we insisted that she take a monetary gift of $100 from us. - a token of our gratitude for her advice and work.
Because of insurance reasons as soon as we came home we went to the internet to find an appraiser - never dreaming the ring wouldn't appraise close to the purchase price.
The ring was appraised here by an extremely reputable appraiser who also teaches and is loaded with credentials, to our complete shock - $15,000 less than the price of $46,000! thats a 33% difference ! We were "assured" by the General Manager of Diamonds International that the ring would appraise for at least the $46,000 price. (Because, I being an accountant ,looked at her straight in the eye before we left and asked, " you are sure this will appraise for this price?")
Okay - its 6 months later and we are still going through hours and hours, letters and letters, the run around game. Holland America doesn't want to assist - even though - we purchased the diamond thinking it was backed by Holland America and the port of call agent was looking out for our best interests in these ports. Diamonds International will not take the ring back, we cant send it back without a getting some kind of mailing authorization number We are told by the PPI group which Holland America referred us to ,is that we have to have it appraised by an "international" appraiser and guess what the nearest one is in California (gee no one told us that either at time of sale.) I'm sure if we had known what we know today, we would not have purchased a diamond on the trip and especially from diamonds international.
The sad story here is -based on my internet research, is apparently many people on a daily basis are ripped off and dont know it or know it and don't have the resources (time or money) to make it right. I mean add it up, couple thousand dollars here, several hundred there, tens of thousands here - every day - what a scam. My husband and I are more upset over how Holland America and Diamonds International do business and how so many people just have to accept their - what some people may characterize as -"shady dealings" - more than the huge discrepancy in the price.,We will be okay, however, they ruined the memories of our 25th wedding anniversary and I cry over the thought of how they worked my husbands love and kindness for me to their "greed and dishonesty." Please never buy from Diamonds International and Never go on a Holland America Cruise. We are not finished fighting - Next step Attorney General in both Alaska and NY. Thank you.

78 Thank cmannaz
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Diamonds International I would like to sincerely apologize for your negative experience in store, as a company we pride ourselves on the upmost of customer satifaction. We sincerely apologize for the situation you had to go through

It will be a our pleasure to help you with this,