“Excellent Stay at Grandma's Feather Bed”

Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was delicious every morning. Nice to have a hot breakfast. Beds were very comfortable. Not close to downtown, but had a shuttle that was very accommodating. I would stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Sonja C, Customer Service Mgr. at Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for your kind remarks about our hotel, the Best Western Grandma’s Feather Bed. We appreciate your comments concerning our staff, service and accommodations. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at Grandma’s and look forward to seeing you on future visits.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a quaint hotel and the smallest Best Western hotel, as I understand it. It is quite close to the airport but apparently out of the flight pattern for arrivals and takeoffs as noise from such was not evident. It is reasonably close to many sights and including the aquatic tour harbor and ferry terminal. The beds are very comfortable and rooms are quite large and have been remodled. The rooms upstairs require carrying things up to your room via the stairs and the entire hotel is not handicapped friendly. They have a shuttle service that took us to many sights (of course we tipped the driver) within Juneau including trips downtown Juneau on a scheduled basis. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The food was absolutely wonderful and we ran into some locals who said this was often their dinner destination for a night out.

Room Tip: Try to get a ground floor room if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Sonja C, Customer Service Mgr. at Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

We appreciate your honest review of our property and restaurant. With 14 rooms decorated and designed uniquely, Grandma's is a charming place to stay while on business or pleasure. Our staff strives to make every stay comfortable and enjoyable. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you on future visits.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Grandma's Feather Bed- its really a love story here. There were problems - it was a extraordinary heat wave - 85 degrees, inconcievable for any place in Juneau to have ac, plus our bay windows were all sealed shut, only one window opened, turning our room, the biggest and most wonderful 201, into a solar oven. I had packed proper attire for 30-70 degrees, but there's no way I could have known to bring swim gear. Service is about problem solving and attitude, and with their help, two fans, bags of ice just down the hall, good spirits we had a blast.
We could see into the Frontier Hotel next door, much like a neighborhood at the Jersey Shore. There was no dissembling. The toilet broke by midnight, and someone came quick, but they couldn't fix it until morning. The next morning it was fixed while we had breakfast, then the bathtub/shower was clogged, that was fixed while we were out. Look, these things happen and it's all about how it is handled. They *thanked us for telling them* about the issues and *attended to them immediately*. It really was like we were staying at a friend's house.
They offered us a cooler room downstairs, but the big room was just so gorgeous, I couldn't give it up, heat and all. It was like having the master bedroom in a friend's house, and the front desk was just below the stairs out my door. I never used the phone. You should know that all calls go through the sister hotel, the bw country lane, and that is also where the laundry is. I think it's only a couple doors down the road but in the heat I wasn't going to bother going there. If I needed it, they would have arranged a shuttle. The bus stop is also pretty much just outside the door, you can see it from the porch sitting on the rocking chairs- which is also big fun. There's bus schedules but only the locals can really predict when the bus wil come. Husband and wife team Brian and Pam, taking consecutive shifts sorted out everything for us, we took the hotel shuttle to Fred Meyer to buy swim gear and food for the generous fridge. Breakfast was as great as you have read, served cheerily, and just the way you want it. Nice people seem to stay here, we made friends each day. Cute little breakfast nooks accomodate families for an intimate gathering to recount the days of fishes caught, bears and whales seen... Dinner was a show stopper. I had the best seafood fettuccine of my life- and I am a food snob. This was better than any top rated NYC bistro, or anything from Paris to Antibes. I think the fettuccini was home made? Made with fresh caught salmon, halibut... I had it three times. They carried the trays up the stairs- room service! You know the restaurant is something special when you see people coming to dine from outside the hotel every night. Pam's children are the same age as mine, she gave the best tips on where to go swim and play. 1000 blessings on them for Disney Junior in the room! The Internet never failed (except when the power went out for the neighborhood for some hours). I didn't have lunch there but saw picnic spreads prepared and picked up. A weird thing happened, our phone rang- the only time we were there. An officious woman blathered on about a problem with incidental charges- no one ever spoke to me this way at Grandma's, even reserving on the phone and calling back a bazillion times to make them insane with requests and changes to our reservation- I told her I would just go sort it out with Bryan, who was just downstairs. Turns out it was a scam. Bryan jumped right on it and tried to track down the caller through the switchboard at the Country Lane. Somehow the scammers have figured out how to ring the room at the #1 rated hotel in town, so be careful, never give your credit card info out over the phone, no matter how protective the staff is of you. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It's the only place we've ever been where my 5 year old son was actually crying because he didn't want to leave.
I apologize if most of this sounds like the other reviews, we're all speaking with one voice, saying the same thing. This place, and most especially it's people, rock. I miss it, and them.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SingleMomTravels

Thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth and informative review of Juneau and our hotel, the Best Western Grandma’s Feather Bed. We always value our guest’s feedback concerning our service, restaurant and property. We apologize for the issues that came up during your stay, but pleased that our staff handled them immediately and to your satisfaction. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This small Best Western is ideal for anyone who needs to be near the airport and who likes a clean, quiet, efficient hotel. The rooms are a little quirky but just fine. Good bed, clean accommodations. Attentive, energetic staff. I can't say enough good about this place. I will always stay there when in Juneau.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your kind remarks about our staff, service and accommodations. We are pleased you enjoyed Grandma’s unique charm. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We expected a great experience from the research we did, but what we got was several levels higher than expected. Pamala was the manager most of the days we were there and she and the rest of the staff seem to have one goal in mind and that is to make the guests as comfortable and at home as possible. I would rate our stay as a little under an outstanding visit with a family member. Eliza on the evening shift was also a delight to interact with, as was all of the staff.
We are Best Western fans and we feel this is the very best hotel experience we have ever had.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonja C, Customer Service Mgr. at Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, the Best Western Grandma’s Feather Bed. We sincerely appreciate your kind comments about our staff. Seeing comments such as yours is very rewarding and motivating to everyone involved. We are pleased we were able to meet your needs for this particular trip. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to seeing you on future visits.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

As a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday, I booked a room at Grandma's Feather Bed.

We're a young couple, and I wanted to make sure that the room we got had a more modern look to it. I had also asked to have the jacuzzi tub in the main section of the room.
I booked the room online and included this information in the 'Room Request' section, but did not expect it to come through.

When I arrived, the woman at the front counter was extremely helpful and allowed for me to tour 3 rooms to decide on the one that I would like.
The first room she showed me was the one that I had originally been assigned, and it fit my request perfectly!

The staff at Grandma's Feather Bed are absolutley fantastic and I can't wait to book again!

Room Tip: Choose Room 203 if you're looking for less of the 'country room' feel. There's a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind remarks about our staff, service and accommodations. We are pleased you enjoyed Grandma’s unique charm. As you mentioned we are fortunate to have many different room configurations. Our staff is always willing to accommodate requests and help our guests find the right “room” for them. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Wonderful place to stay and eat. The staff were all super helpful and nice. We ate dinner there, which was very good and large portions. Breakfast was great as well. There is a nice trail nearby and they are 5 minutes from airport. Only inconvenience is that shuttle downtown runs ever other hour. We will be staying there if we ever return to Juneau.

1  Thank MidwestTravelers049
Sonja C, Customer Service Mgr. at Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, the Best Western Grandma’s Feather Bed. I want to let you know how much we appreciate and value your feedback. Our goal is to consistently provide you with excellent service and accommodations. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to seeing you on future visits.