“Wonderful, unique hotel in Juneau”

Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I think I've stayed in just about every hotel / motel in Juneau and this week I was delighted to discover the Best Western Grandma's Feather Bed! What a nice treat!! I stay in a different hotel every week and they're all pretty much the same, but Grandma's Feather Bed is truly unique. This former restaurant is really a fun stay -- every room is different, but all have very deep, jetted soaking tubs, wonderful beds, reliable wifi / internet access, and lots of quiet. It's a great place to work, but I'd be very comfortable bringing my husband back for a vacation stay. The staff seems quite young, but very dedicated to making guests feel welcome and ensuring every need is met. There's a small restaurant attached that provides good, solid food options and breakfast is free with your stay. A very, very nice option in Juneau. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the room that used to house the salad bar -- very unique arrangement, but fun! I've...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Sonja C, Customer Service Mgr. at Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for your kind remarks about our property, the Best Western Grandma’s Feather Bed. We highly value your feedback concerning the service and accommodations at our property. The staff at Grandma’s is always striving for excellent customer service. It continues to be our goal and priority to make every stay a memorable one. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The service of all staff members was excellent. The waitstaff in the dinning room were friendly, quick, and helpful. Checkin/out staff were also very nice. The room was clean and smelled great. The jacuzzi bathtub was great fun for a valentine's weekend away. The food was excellent, especially compared to some restaurants in Juneau. The bed was a little stiff for my liking but still comfortable with the feather down blankets and pillows. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room at the top of the stairs and the ice freezer was just down the hall along with a soda...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonja C, Customer Service Mgr. at Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our property. We are always striving for excellent customer service in both our hotel and restaurant. With our restaurant open to the public Monday thru Saturday, we hope to see your family and friends back soon. Look for our daily specials which can include local seafood and freshly ground hamburgers. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you on your next weekend getaway.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I just love Grandma's continental breakfast. You are able to choose up to three items off of the made to order menu, my favorites are the custom omelettes and french toast. Thanks Pam for remembering how I like my omelettes. The hotel staff are so accomodating and friendly that it feels like a second home when I stay here. I've stayed in most of the 13 rooms and it is always fun to see which room I'll be in for the week. It keeps traveling interesting. The featherbeds are so comfortable, you are allowed a free gym pass each day to the nearby Alaska Club, and having a jacuzzi in your room is so relaxing after a hard workout. Needless to say, I will be returning to Grandma's.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back on the upper level are the most quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate your honest review of our property. With 14 rooms decorated and designed uniquely, Grandma's is a charming place to stay while on business or pleasure. We are glad you enjoyed the made-to-order breakfast that is included with your stay. Our staff strives to make every stay comfortable and enjoyable. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you on future visits.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

During repeat visits over the past three years the Best Western Grandma's Feather Bed inn has consistently offered friendly, welcoming accommodation for me. Guest rooms are not one's typical, every-room-is-the-same-cookie-cutter-model one finds in chain hotels but rather has different decor in each room with a homey, "Grandma's house" atmosphere. During each of my many stays, the different rooms have been spotlessly clean.

One important note....For people who are petite or physically challenged, it is important to know the bathroom shower/tubs can be a bit of a challenge to get into and out of. I am tall with long legs but still find I have to be a bit of a mountain climber to get into and out of the tub/shower combos in each room I have reserved. However, the front desk staff told me they can accommodate guests in a more typical bathroom set up in at least one guest room (or perhaps more than that). It is best to enquire about the tub/shower set up when making reservations with the front desk.

Every room I have stayed in has been very nice with a coffeemaker, microwave and a little refrigerator in each room. Complimentary Wifi has always performed well with a fast connection. I prefer the upper level rooms but it must be noted that one has to haul one's luggage up a tall staircase if staying on the second floor. There is no elevator. Sometimes a desk clerk can assist with one's luggage but if a large group of people coming off of a ferry are all trying to check in at the same time (this has happened to me), be prepared to carry your luggage to your room by yourself. If this is an issue, be sure to request a room on the first floor.

A very filling Alaska-sized breakfast is included in the room price. One can select hot food off the menu plus there is always a selection of breads, fruit, juices and coffee on a common table in the breakfast room.

Speaking of food, Grandma's Feather Bed offers meals at dinnertime. I confess I was skeptical of what dinner would be like at a small Best Western inn. However, during my last visit my husband and I were thoroughly exhausted after our day's activities. Too tired to drive to a restaurant we ordered room service from the restaurant downstairs. It was delightful! Even in Southeast Alaska many restaurant chefs manage to mangle salmon by overcooking it but my wild Alaskan salmon was prepared to perfection, slightly rare inside while crisply seared on the outside. It was deja vu all over again the next night---too beat to go out to dinner---so we repeated the room service dinner order. Once again, it was excellent. Portions were generous as well. Chef Mac was minding the kitchen. He did a wonderful job.

At the time of my last visit to Grandma's (August 2012) the restaurant had no liquor license but we purchased our own vino at Fred Meyer's for our in room dining experience. Be sure to check with the inn for any updates on this.

Chris, Chef Mac, Pam and Tanisha were all very friendly, helpful hotel personnel during our most recent stay. There is no concierge or activities desk at this small property but the staff will try to help with suggestions if you need them. Otherwise it is best to do your homework ahead of time about what to do in and around Juneau.

The inn offers a complimentary shuttle service to pick up or deliver guests to the nearby airport or ferry terminal. Since the hotel is located outside of the busy tourist district---a welcome plus for my tastes---the shuttle also transports hotel guests into Juneau and back if they do not have their own transportation. Bear in mind that some tour operators will also pick up guests with no cars at the inn. I recommend renting a car if staying in Juneau to allow more freedom in one's schedule. Due to high demand during tourist season it's best to reserve one's car as early as possible if visiting during the busy summer months (however, during off season I have been able to rent a car the morning of the day I needed it).

After trying several other Juneau lodging options, mostly large hotels, Grandma's Feather Bed has consistently been the friendliest and most accommodating property in which I have stayed. It is easy to recommend this little inn.

Room Tip: I prefer the upper level rooms since any overhead noise is annoying to me. The only room I stayed i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Whalegeek

Thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth and informative review of Juneau and our hotel, the Best Western Grandma’s Feather Bed. We always value our guest’s feedback concerning our service, restaurant and property. Excellent customer service is something our staff is always striving for. It is always our goal to make every stay a memorable one. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Great Staff! Thank you Kayla, Bryan, and Pam for your wonderful services! The food was delicious I recommend going there if you only have one night to stay and the rooms have a hot tub whirlpool!They have a shuttle if you need it. I believe James was my driver. The staff is nice and friendly if there is a problem they do their best to resolve it. and they have a fitness hook up at Alaska club which is by safeway but not in the hotel.

Room Tip: ask the staff they will tell you their favorites. I recommend room 201 even though it might get a li...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Gator J
Reviewed December 16, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank KJP429
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Grandma's Feather Bed provided the perfect weekend staycation, from the convenient location to the in-room hot tub to room service from the restaurant downstairs. Breakfasts are great, and if the house coffee leaves something to be desired, there's a great espresso place across the street along with a fantastic massage studio.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple