Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed
Great 4.5/5
Juneau Hotel(Juneau)
Great 4.5/5
    Good 3.5/5
    All reviewsmade to order breakfastb bshuttle servicemendenhall glacierbreakfast was includedsmall hotelclose to the airporthuge jacuzzi tubgrandma's houseroom ratedowntown juneauodd hourscharming placecold breakfastbreakfast was amazinga wonderful place to stayshower curtain
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed September 6, 2011

This is a nice inn; the rooms are comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. Our room had a very odd layout, though; the tub was practically next to the bed. The service was very good, though their downtown shuttle doesn't run very often and picks you up about a 10-minute walk from downtown.

Also note that the laundry facilities they talk about are in their sister hotel, Country Lane, which is about a block and a half away. As is any luggage storage you may need.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
    1  Thank MattyC33
    Reviewed August 31, 2011

we stayed 3 days before going on a small ship cruise.this hotel is close to the airport but a long,long way from downtown.they do have a shuttle but it basically only runs every 2 hours until 7pm so some planning is required.
    the rooms were clean and reasonable motel standard.the whirlpool bath is useless if you want to take a shower.the room had nowhere to hang bath towels and the hanging space for clothes was almost non existent.we lived out of the suitcase basically.the hotel had no bottled water available and ran out of tea except for the highly flavoured variety.because of the location you basically have no choice but to eat at the restaurant.the food on one occasion was very good but on another inedible.one last comment the owner imposes a teetotaler policy in the restaurant..no alcoholic beverages are available and you are not welcome to bring your own.the young staff were friendly,helpful and apologetic for the hotel's shortcomings.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
    4  Thank johnmcintyre
    Reviewed August 20, 2011

Very small with not too many rooms, warm, clean, just like back at home. Book in advance but stay here if you can!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
    2  Thank JRH152
    Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at Grandma's Feather Bed. It was a delightful place to stay. Extremely comfortable bed and pillows. We had breakfast (complimentary) and dinner there. The food was quite good and we were served large portions. The whirlpool bathtub was comfortable and a welcome relaxation after a busy day. While I enjoyed my stay there were a few things that I thought were a concern. First of all, their website said they were located two blocks from the airport. It was closer to a mile. I had planned to walk back to the airport to pick up a car but was glad they had a shuttle when I saw how far it was. While the bathtub was nice, you had to step into it......about 18 inches. If you have trouble bending your knee or have other joint problems this would be very hard to get into. You also had to get into the tub to use the shower. Behind the tub were two walls of mirrors. I don't know about you but looking at myself as I shower is not something I care to do!! I did not see any way to get to the second floor other than climbing stairs. if it would
    be hard to climb and take suitcases up the stairs I would request a room on the main floor. Also, there was no place to sit and relax (lobby).
    Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed August 4, 2011

My wife and I put a good deal of stock in the many reviews on Trip Advisor. We usually book reservations based on others' experiences at this place or that. Still, all the five-star reviews of Juneau's Grandma's Feather Bed almost seemed too good to be true but we decided to "go with the flow" to see if we would come away with the same feelings. We did and then some! Grandma's is simply a wonderful place to stay and it is easy to see why it has been rated the number one hotel/motel/bed and breakfast in the Juneau region. Everything about the establishment speaks of quality, from the complimentary shuttle service from both the airport and/or the marine ferry terminal, the friendly and welcoming young persons who man the front desk (most of who seemed genuinely anxious to help in anyway they could though several did have a tendency to be somewhat less concerned about customers than they should be), the wonderful breakfasts in the morning, breakfasts that go so far beyond the norm in most establishments these days as to put them all to shame, even those that charge an extra "arm and a leg" for their food, something Grandma's does not. One of the nicest "pluses" is the free shuttle service to and from downtown Juneau--the motel is roughly eight miles away near the airport which, in turn is located away from the cruise ship docks-- which occurs throughout the day for anyone without a car. (As an aside, however, I wish we had decided to rent a car in which to see the Juneau area because even with the shuttle, one is forced to wait for it in some cases far longer than one might like. It also only goes downtown. It cannot, for example, drive anyone even the four miles to the famous Mendenhall Glacier since it is forbidden by local law from doing so).

No lodging establishment, of course, should be rated highly if its rooms and especially its beds are sub-standard. Grandma's clearly are not. Indeed, it is hard to describe the rooms at Grandma's in anything but superlative terms. Though the rooms are often strangely shaped, each contains a bed that is ultra-comfortable, a huge tub with several comfort settings, a mini-refrigerator and microwave, a small but serviceable table, and on and on. Can one find fault with the establishment? Of course, especially if one sets out to nit-pick. Personally I found the tub rather hard to get into and out of and the countertop rather too small and cramped but these "negatives," if that's what they might be called, are swiftly offset by all the many positives.

Grandma's claims to be the smallest Best Western motel in that firm's huge chain. Having stayed in literally hundreds of such places through the years, we can say, without fear of contradiction, that it is also the best. We had never been to Juneau before this trip. We want to come again. When we do, there will be no other place for us to stay than Grandma's Feather Bed.

• Stayed: July 2011