Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed
Super 8 Juneau(Juneau)(Great Value!)
$81
$119
$168
$159
FourPoints.com
Best Western Country Lane Inn(Juneau)(Great Value!)
$122
BestWestern.com
Juneau Aspen Suites Hotel(Juneau)(Great Value!)
$104
Juneau Hotel(Juneau)
$119
$113
Hotels.com
All reviewsmade to order breakfastb bshuttle servicemendenhall glacierbreakfast was includedsmall hotelclose to the airporthuge jacuzzi tubgrandma's houseroom ratedowntown juneauodd hourscharming placecold breakfastbreakfast was amazinga wonderful place to stayshower curtain
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Grandma's Feather Bed lives up to all the positive reviews it has received. The rooms are great with the feather bed, whirpool, and overall decor. The other highlights for us were the charming young staff members and the excellent restaurant. We only stayed for two nights but ate two breakfasts, one lunch, and two dinners there. We enjoyed some of the best food we have ever eaten in a restaurant. Favorites included the beer battered halibut, fried chicken, and Carolina chicken. We highly recommend it for lodging and food.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My husband and I picked this hotel in Juneau over the others because of the good reviews. I know that Juneau isn't a place to find great lodging so I suppose that relatively this might be an OK hotel experience. But that said, it really needs some TLC to move it from average to special.

First, I'll start with the positives: Friendly and accomodating staff. They moved us when we requested it and were always happy to be of service. (It should be noted that the staff is comprised of university students from a college in the lower 48...so what you don't get in hotel "expertise" is made up by their upbeat attitude and a good level of competence). One of our shuttle drivers gave us excellent advice on where to eat and what to see. Speaking of shuttles, the hotel does offer a shuttle service to and from the airport, as well as several scheduled trips downtown and back over the day). The airport is near by the hotel but downtown Juneau is about 20-25 minutes away. I liked being outside of downtown Juneau because the downtown gets mobbed when the cruise ships are in.

We found the rooms spacious and quiet (altho' the jacuzzis in other rooms can be heard). Friends of ours who stayed here on the second floor found the rooms noisy, though. I liked the jacuzzi in the room, because it was nice to soak after a long day hiking the Juneau area.

Breakfast was plentiful with a lot of options. The hours of breakfast were quite long, to allow for early risers and sleep-ins. The beds were comfortable, but do have added height to them to give them an "old-timey" feel. I think they could lose that feature. Nice towels and an abundance of them.

Now for the weaknesses:
The rooms are cut up in crazy fashion with extra stairs and banisters and "fake" windows that look out on to the hallway (?). This place built as a specialty hotel to look like an old fashioned house, but the room layouts are just weird. The carpets and all the furnishings are quite worn. We had a nice quilt in one room, but the other rooms we were in had quilts that looked overly washed and tired. The decor, and in fact, the concept of the hotel comes straight out of the 80's with too many fussy, dust-catching details, peach and green color scheme and pine-y furniture. New carpets and window treatments could help a lot to spruce the place up.

While the breakfasts were fine, I would absolutely discourage people to dine at the hotel for dinner. Since there were a number of favorable reviews for the restaurant, we decided to try it. Everything seems to come out of a can or frozen food container. And what kind of restaurant serves sweet fry bread as an appetizer? I had the pasta, and I swear that it was frozen Buitoni with stale pre-shredded parmesan on top. The rolls were store-bought Walmart-style. All I can say is that downtown Juneau has a few really good and fun restaurants with some great fish dishes, like The Hanger . Don't miss those! If you don't want to go downtown, the Travelodge just down the road has a Mexican restaurant which isn't too bad, and it has a wide menu and a bar.

All of that said, in the future, I'd probably stay at the Travelodge and just expect an average experience, rather than come to this hotel. It just didn't warrant the extra money we spent. However, southeastern Alaska is the star here, not the hotels.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jenkins_2004
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Grandma's is a wonderful place. We stayed for three nights here and absolutely loved it. I do not think I have ever had a bigger room ( room 201). Everything felt new and clean. The beds actually do have down feather beds on top as well as down pillows. Very, very nice. All of the staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very nice. We did not have a chance to eat dinner hear, but the menu looked nice and I heard from other guests that the food was good (and reasonably priced). We used the hotel shuttle the first two days and rented a car the third to go to some places out of town. I think you could get by just with the shuttle and using the city bus, but the car gave us the greatest flexibility.

Be sure to take the Adventure Bound Tracy Arm trip if you can. It was the highlight of our two week trip in Alaska as was our stay at Grandma's.

Room Tip: I think all rooms would be great.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Large rooms with very nice decor, tub (jacuzzi!) in rooms, excellent beds, clean, friendly staff, good breakfast. Only a pity that no wine is served in the restaurant, but there is a good wine- and beer serving restaurant nearby (Travelodge). Far away from the center, but just take the bus (30 minutes service during daytime). Very recommendable hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Recently stayed for 3 days. The location is extremely convenient, especially if you rent a car from Rent-a-Wreck. Location was near glacier, food store, and not that far from "downtown" and all other tourist sites . Loved the breakfast that was included- your choice of 3 options from a hot menu, plus anything from the continental offerings. Whirlpool tub was a real treat after hiking all day, and the staff was always friendly and helpful. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: The AAA rate was the best available price for me.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple