WINNER WONDERLAND

Super 8 Juneau
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
“Yikes”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

I spend an average of about 50 nights a year in a hotel room and can honestly say this is the worst hotel I have stayed in in the past several years. While the staff was courteous, there is little they could do to make up for the condition of this property. Filthy would be an understatement, the bed spread had several burn marks/holes and the box spring was so filthy it was just plain gross. I guess I expected more from a Wyndham property.

Room Tip: Choose another property.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Super8Juneau, General Manager at Super 8 Juneau, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for your review although we are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are not going to disagree with you about the condition of our hotel. It is older and definitely needs updating, to which we have already started to do (the bedspread you mention has been removed.) Our housekeepers work very hard at ensuring you arrive to a clean room but it is hard to see that sometimes, given the age of the furnishings.

Our new property owner will be refurbishing the hotel so by this time next year, we will look like a completely different hotel. Our staff is very excited to get everything done and to share the updates with all of our guests. In the meantime, we do offer a clean, comfortable stay at one of the lowest prices in town with complimentary amenities such as a continental breakfast, shuttle service and wi-fi.

Thank you again.

(907) 789-4858

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

The pros are the shuttle, pretty good b'fast, comfortable bed, and friendly staff. The cons are tired and somewhat rundown feel to the place. My room was remodeled it seems, but some of the lights didn't work, the bathtub was worn; there were bits of debris on the bed sheets (not bugs), unwelcome perfumy smell in the halls. The carpeting may have been chosen not to show dirt, but unfortunately just looked dirty. Stayed two nights, but after the first night, no cleaning or maid service--appears the room was forgotten. Got an unwelcome wake-up call at 4:30 am, the first night--didn't ask for one.
It is an easy walk to a bus stop for downtown Juneau or Mendenhall glacier (though one has to walk a mile or so to the glacier still.) Fred Meyer is an easy walk too.

Room Tip: The front rooms face the road and traffic is noisy, especially if you open the windows. Can't r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Super8Juneau, General Manager at Super 8 Juneau, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you the time for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear about the issues you experienced while staying at our hotel. First, my apologies that you experienced a couple of concerns with your room during your stay. If you have have the opportunity, I would appreciate a few more moments of your time so I can research the situation and address it properly. Additionally, I will address the housekeeping staff overall.

We also wanted to acknowledge that we are aware of the carpet needing to be replaced and rest assured, we will be doing so in the very near future as we are preparing to be refurbished. Our hope that when it's completed, you will take the opportunity to come visit us again.

Thank you again for the feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to hear from our guests!

Shorewood, MN.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Very basic motel. Reasonably clean rooms/property except for the windows, which were so filthy that you could hardly see out of them.. Beds very hard, as were pillows. The best thing about this motel is the staff. They went above and beyond for me. Taxis are difficult to come by in Juneau and when the manager( Nicole) tried to call one for me and was told it could be a couple of hours before one could come, she asked her airport van driver to take me to my destination downtown, which is a 9 mile drive. Very grateful for the service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bellingham, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

This has been the worst stay I have ever had. The staff was very rude and used a lot of profanity along with making the guest wait for service. They did not have uniforms and the staff stayed on site and would come to the lobby in pajamas. Our keys kept deactivating and we would have to keep getting them reprogramed everyday. The staff said it was our fault because we put the keys next to our cell phones or credit cards. This couldn't be true because we left one in the room instead of taking with us to see if it was true after the first day, but still all our keys still deactivated. Our beds had brown stains on them and housekeeping came into our room even though we had a no service sign on our door. On another occurrence when I asked for new towels from the housekeeper in the hall she told me they didn't have anymore because they where in the wash and she didn't seem to care I needed more. Another housekeeper came down the hall and told the first housekeeper her uncle was at the front desk and off they both went. I never heard back about the towels. When I was down at the front desk another guest came in and told the front desk agent that someone had left their lights on in there car and gave them the license plate number. I was in the lobby for another half an hour and recalled the front desk agent not doing anything about the car with the lights on. Why do we give our license plate numbers at check in again? When I talked to the General Manager about what had happened she didn't seem to really care about what had happened and told me a ridiculous story her staff had told her. She said the hotel has been up for sale for a long time and she would say things are worn there and needs improvement. Seems like the staff does whatever they want and she doesn't have a clue. This was our family vacation and everything else but our hotel stay was wonderful.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
My apologies to you that your stay was not what you had hoped for...we certainly want to provide every guest with a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price. As we discussed, we couldn't provide all of the services you had wanted and you did certainly make sure you left us a poor review. Since you've done so, and as I shared with you when we talked, I'd like to address your concerns:

- First, of course I care...if I didn't care, I wouldn't have reached out to discuss the situation that occurred during your stay. And the situation in question happened late at night. Unfortunately I am not available to work a 24/7 hour shift so yes, there are some things that will occur outside of my working hours.
- The housekeeping situation has been addressed...that person is no longer working for our hotel and we are truly sorry that they didn't take care of your request immediately, as they should've done.
- Yes, we do recognize that we are in need of refurbishing...which we are preparing to do.
- Unfortunately not every guest provides us their vehicle information, even though we do ask at check in. The owner of the vehicle in question did not, and since we couldn't contact every room because of the hour, we didn't have any way to identify who the car belonged to...a guest or a guest of a guest.

And my suggestion, in the future, please do not leave your small child alone in your hotel room. My Assistant Manager, who luckily happened to be staying at our hotel, was able to come downstairs and take care of your son who came looking for his mother. We waited 15 minutes before you came back to the hotel in an effort to try to avoid contacting the authorities. While we do understand, during your conversation with us, that at the hotel you currently work at you allow your guests to do that all of the time, we simply cannot allow that to happen for the safety of the child. The numerous things that can happen are frightening and something we would never want to occur to any of our guests.

I'm sorry we had a difference of opinion and that your stay was affected as a result. We do wish you well in the future and appreciate the time you took to discuss and then share this feedback with us.

Rachael Ray, GM

Travelers are raving about these Juneau hotels

Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

I had read a review that said the Super8 was "shabby, yet functional." It had the best price and was the closest hotel to our base of operation. My expectations were not high. The room was quite stuffy upon our arrival, but the stale odor was gone after a few hours of having the window open. Our room was on the back side. With the window open, the traffic noise was noticeable until late into the night. The room would not have been comfortable without opening the window as there is no air conditioning. Our friend whose room was on the front side said that he heard people coming and going all night. The beds were comfortable. I do not believe our sheets were changed during our ten day stay. We had to ask for clean towels several times. The breakfast was basic with no deviation. It was adequate. The gentleman who manned the breakfast area was friendly and attentive. I did not expect much and was not disappointed. I think I would probably try another place if I returned.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Whitehorse, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Yes, Super 8 is not where you go for an exceptional stay. This one is much like any other. However, the front desk staff was friendly and although she was trying to solve 3 problems at once, she was smiling and professional to us.

The room was exactly what you would expect. I chose this motel partly for the price and partly because it was a few miles out of town and I thought it might be a bit quieter than the downtown ones. I was wrong. It's on a busy Hwy and was almost continually noisy.

It was not a particularly warm day, raining in fact, but the room was so stuff one could hardly breath. Opening the window was our only choice, which would have been fine but it had to be closed to go to bed because of the Hwy din. How about at least putting a ceiling fan in as I can understand not wanting to put AC in because it's seldom hot there LOL.

Breakfast was the typical offering and was OK for the price. There is a convenient Mc Donald's and a grocery store in the parking area.

Room Tip: Try to get as far away from the Hwy as possible
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

First of all when I got there the elevator wasn't working all the time, the room was ok the bed seemed unmade I asked for more pillows cuz I had two bricks and they said they don't have anymore pillows just laying around the sink was clogged and molded. The bathtub had brown rings. They never took out the trash it's was really loud there. Always honking outside. Plus they took the money out of my account then did it again 2 days later and won't refund me the money customer service sucks when you ask for them to call you back they never do and you get attitude I think next time I will spend the extra money and stay some where else

• Stayed June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Super8Juneau, General Manager at Super 8 Juneau, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback to us. We are truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and would like to take this opportunity to address your concerns individually.

- During your stay, you unfortunately never mentioned any issue with your sink being clogged. Had you done so, of course our maintenance would take care of it for you immediately.

- Again, the issue with your sink could've been resolved at the outset. And while our tubs are older, and well worn, they are definitely clean. If you felt there was a concern, a call to our Front Desk would've resolved these issues immediately. Also, when you checked out and mentioned the sink issue, I personally inspected the room myself and did not observe any brown rings or mold. I truly wish you would've mentioned something during your stay.

- If you would like your room to be serviced, you would need to ensure you do not place your Do Not Disturb sign on your door. If the Do Not Disturb sign is up, we will not enter your room to clean it.

- We've had no reported issues with our elevator during the time of your stay. We do however, have guests that can keep the elevator open while they are waiting for others to join them...which will obviously cause delays for others who are waiting on different floors. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We would've liked the opportunity to demonstrate our customer service during your stay. We regret that we were unable to do so.