“Unexpected- not in a good way.”

Frontier Suites Airport Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect when I booked this hotel for a business trip. It was one of three suggestions, and just slightly cheaper than the Goldrush downtown (which I heard good things about later.) I was lulled by their claim to be "One of Juneau's newest hotels."

After staying there, I wonder if it is a new hotel because it was previously a minimum-security prison or nursing home? Nothing looked new. The inside of my room reminded me of my Aunt Barbara's house before she got into collecting those creepy dolls. There were cigarette burns in the linoleum in this nonsmoking room. The decoration scheme appeared to be "random empty baskets." The Breck shampoo and plain bar soap did not scream "amenities for the business traveler," unless of course you're assuming that a business traveler is a man, and the kind of man who doesn't care about grooming.

On a positive note, the bed was very comfortable.

My room was missing the following "luxury" amenities: a dead bolt, air conditioning, a do not disturb hanger, and curtains. There was only a battered paper shade to block out the "midnight sun." My key card didn't work consistently, which the staff blamed on me for probably putting them too near my cell phone. The "free high-speed internet" is not wireless, despite the AT&T store located inside the hotel. I returned to my room one night to find the door hanging wide open, probably all day after the maid service. I spoke to the desk about it, and they did not seem concerned.

The hotel is not close to anything if you don't have a car, so if you forget your contact solution, you might find yourself directed to walk down a highway at 10:30 pm to the dingy Superbear grocery store.

Room Tip: Don't take rooms facing the noisy parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
8  Thank dr_jbd

Reviewed June 6, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Frontier Suites for two weeks. It was like we had our own little apartment. We were able to cook wonderful meals together and enjoy the living space when we wanted to relax. Terri (front desk) was so helpful and genuine - very welcoming and pleasant. We will definitely come back to Frontier Suites in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wow421
Reviewed May 27, 2011

We stayed at the Frontier Suites for 5 nights while waiting for our next connection on the AMHS. They accept pets, charging us $150 for the 5 day stay. Going into the room, it seemed nice and clean. We stayed in a kitchenette suite located in Wing B, which was well laid out. The beds were comfy and the kitchen was stocked with pots, pans, and all utensils needed to make meals. The only thing was that the kitchen had a small, bathroom sized trash can, so it needed to be changed a few times a day since we primarily cooked during the stay (very inconvenient). Second, the bathroom smelled a bit like mildew. On a closer inspection, there was a nice layer of mold on the underside of the commode. Also, they only stocked two towels; I had to go all the way back to the main office to get more (every day, as they seemed to only want to leave 2 towels when housekeeping went by). Washing clothes was an adventure. There is only one washer/dryer set for the 3 buildings, located in Wing B. It was convenient for us (just up the stairs), but they were DISGUSTING! The set smelled and had not been properly cleaned in some time. The hotel also owns a rental complex, where another other laundry facilitiy was (big, commercial sets). It also smelled horrible, as was $2 per wash (only $1/wash on the set in Wing B). We rested well on all but one night, the folks above us sounded like a bull in a china shop during the weekend. I called the front desk twice to assist, but the noise persisted until about 1:30 am. They apparently checked out the next day and the rest of our stay was fine (as long as the was no neighbor above us). On our last day, a new housekeeping group provided services and mentioned that the old staff had recently been let go. The hotel staff seem very nice and were accomodating to call the day before checkout to make sure we did not need additional days. The Booyah Grill restaurant on the property was great; there is also a Domino's Pizza which is convenient for a quick dinner. I do appreciate the pet friendly facility; hotel management has the tools and potential to make this a great stay.

Room Tip: I haggled price down to $89/night for mid-May stay
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank suts11
Reviewed November 17, 2010

This hotel was a very pleasant surprise. We stayed two different times. The first time they promptly picked us up at the airport and took us the next morning to the ferry. When we returned from Haines, we called as the ferry was docking and they were there just a few minutes later.

Both times the suite was very clean and very large and in very good condition.

Normally you expect to pay a lot in Alaska, at $99 for the night including transportation to and from the ferry and airport, it was a great deal.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angeles
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Building A, although attached to frontier suites is not the same. You are in a tiny studio apt. Majority of the staff is fantastic however the manager at the front desk is rediculous. Dont waste your money on building A, nor associate with the day manager. When i moved out, he wouldnt give me a trash bag because " i technically was not in his hotel" . Give me a break! How are you a manager when you lack customer sx skills?

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank juneau_10
Reviewed July 15, 2010

We stayed here for 1 night in June. Having landed at the airport at 10am we called in the hotel in the hopes of leaving our luggage until check in. However, despite the early time we were told our room was ready and we could have it straight away! We had booked a suite which had a kitchen, bunk bed, sleeper sofa and double bedroom. The room was much nicer than the pictures on the website which don't do it justice. There is no WIFI however there is free wired internet and the hotel even supplies network cables for use with laptops, free of charge. Throughout our stay the staff on reception were very helpful and the shuttle bus provides free transport as far as the brewery and back. Due to our afternoon flight, we requested what time we needed to check out and were told we didn't need to check out until 2pm. Our only criticism would be that the hotel is over 10 miles from Juneau itself and the shuttle bus will only go as far as the brewery making getting into Juneau difficult without your own transport. However, our room itself was very nice and the service provided by the front desk was excellent. I'd recomment this hotel to anyone visiting Juneau.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank KaiserChiefs
Reviewed June 6, 2010

The room was great, minus the lack of air conditioning on some of the very few hot days Juneau has; we had to leave our windows open and it super noisy. The staff was great and the place was clean. I would stay again.

3  Thank CassieRo82