Tripadvisor
Juneau
All reviews grocery store ferry terminal downtown juneau budget hotel motel style three nights twin beds shuttle service pleasant stay within easy walking distance location was perfect in town small kitchen living area nothing fancy comfortable room sandpiper
Selected filters
Reviewed September 21, 2019

We visited Juneau as a part of our tour of Alaska which we did for our honeymoon. We arrived at Juneau airport late one evening and had one day to explore before our ferry out of Auke Bay the following night. In terms of accommodation, The Driftwood is a functional, clean motel in a good location for Downtown Juneau. The free airport and ferry transfer service makes this a really cost-effective option if you are just passing through. We asked about the possibility of paying a half day rate for the next day as our ferry wasn’t until late the next night but this could not be accommodated, which I was a little confused by as the motel did have vacancies. Luckily they offered to keep our luggage for us for the day and there was lots to do in Juneau to keep us busy all day. Overall, we would stay at the Driftwood again if we needed a functional room and access to transfer services.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2019

We spent a week here, between arrival and departure on Columbia ferry sailings, and found the bed and pillows comfortable, the bathrooms clean and in good shape, and the kitchen a handy convenience (though we hardly used it other than the coffee maker and microwave). The cleaning service was very good, and the people at the front desk very helpful. The shuttle from and to the airport was efficient and punctual. It is true that the hotel is, shall we say, well-weathered and the furnishings minimalist, and our room did not provide a good first impression. But my wife quickly spread our belongings around and made it look more or less like home. It is, as others have pointed out, more motel than hotel, but it was quiet, with little traffic except in the morning when customers for the adjoining breakfast place started showing up (we sometimes joined them). Those seeking luxury might want to look elsewhere, but if you want a comfortable room in easy walking distance of town (and of the nearby whale stature), and at a reasonable price (for Juneau), then the Driftwood is a good choice.

Room tip: Second floor may be best for longer stays.
Date of stay: September 2019
Reviewed August 16, 2019 via mobile

We had a cruise departing from Juneau and planned to overnight at the Driftwood. Our flight was delayed and we missed our connection. I called the hotel prior to 2pm to cancel our room to be told that the we needed to cancel before 2pm the day BEFORE our arrival so I was stuck paying for two rooms I wasn’t going to use. This was not communicated correctly when I booked the rooms. The spoke directly with someone at the hotel who was very difficult to understand. He emailed me the manager info saying I would need to contact him. I have emailed multiple times both him and the general reservation email with zero response. I am requesting a receipt for the charges and I have gotten absolutely no response from the hotel.

This is just about the worst customer service I have ever experienced while traveling. I would not recommend the hotel to anyone unless you love hassles and poor service.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Charles C, General Manager at Driftwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2019

This review should be taken down.

Not only have I personally spoke to this customer, she continually writes reviews hoping that I will pay for her mistakes. This customer did call to cancel, her shuttle pick up, not her room, at one hour before her arrival. As I have repeatedly explained, I do not read minds and as a destination, Juneau has set times when arrivals on major airlines come in. Thus we have a 24 hour in advance cancellation policy.

Reviewed August 14, 2019

I've stayed here for more than ten years, sometimes more than once a summer. It was never modern or stylish but had a certain homeyness, and in recent years some improvements have been made: flat screen TV, nicer towels and bedding. However, in some ways, it's perhaps worse. The carpeting didn't look clean; I would not walk barefoot on it. The toilet and bathtub were stained--hard water? I reserved a shuttle to be picked up at the airport, online as requested, twice. But no shuttle. When I called, they said they had no record. When pressed, they had a lot of excuses but nothing like sorry for the inconvenience. It the past, one had to call from the airport for the shuttle, but it came. There's no point to "efficiency" if it doesn't function. For going to the airport, the front desk had carefully taken flight number, number of persons, etc., but in the morning, figured out there were too many people for one shuttle. Luckily, a second was available. My advice: call to confirm any pickups. Leave plenty of time to get to airport or ferry.
The shuttle driver who finally picked me up at the airport was very friendly and interesting.

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed August 11, 2019

Hotel could use upgrading. In order to get into 1 bedroom you have to walk thru the other one so probably better for a family rather than 2 couples. Otherwise very clean, beds are comfortable even my 6'4" son-in-law was comfortable in the double bed, quiet, and plenty of hot water and water pressure.

Date of stay: July 2019
Charles C, General Manager at Driftwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2019

Thanks for staying. We strive to make every guest comfortable and love to hear the feedback.