“Don't Expect Much” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
Sitka, Alaska
“Don't Expect Much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I feel like this hotel has gone downhill in the last few years. My husband and I travel to Juneau at least once a year and have for several years. In the beginning, this hotel wasn't the best or the nicest, but at least it was clean and somewhat maintained. It's always been one of the cheaper hotels in town and for less than $100 a night we couldn't complain too much.

However, this last Thanksgiving we decided to give them one more chance. Unfortunately, this hotel has declined rapidly in both customer service and cleanliness. One of the ceiling tiles in our room was completely missing, exposing wires and probably 20 years' worth of mold and dirt. In the bathroom, most of the lightbulbs were burned out. The curtains in the room were broken and extremely difficult to open and close. Although our room was "non-smoking", every time the vent kicked on our room filled with the smell of cigarettes. Even the TV looked like it hadn't been upgraded since the 80's.

We're generally pretty easy going people when it comes to cheap hotels, we don't expect/ask for much, but on this particular trip, our room was not serviced a single time. The first full day we were there, we came back from shopping and expected, at the very least, clean towels and a made-up bed. However, the room had not been touched. We went to the front desk and let them know nobody had cleaned our room, and requested a set of fresh towels. The girl at the desk was nice enough and apologized that our room hadn't been cleaned, so we expected that the situation would be remedied the next day.

The next day, after being gone most of the morning/afternoon, we returned once again to...absolutely nothing having been done to our room. No clean towels, no made bed, not even a fresh packet of coffee.

The 3rd day? You guessed it. Our room still had not been touched.

Upon checkout on the 4th day, we informed the front desk yet again that our room had not been cleaned a single time during our entire visit and asked if we could please have a discount, since part of the package when you pay for a hotel room is a basic level of service/cleanliness. The girl informed us that it wasn't up to her, apologized, and said she'd call the owner and give us a call later in the day if there was something that could be done.

Three weeks later and, you guessed it, no phone call.

That will be the last time we stay at the Breakwater Inn. Between the completely run-down rooms, the cigarette smell, the lack of any kind of maid service whatsoever and an owner that obviously only cares about the income from long-term residents of the hotel, they clearly don't need our business. Too bad.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Angi C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Half Moon Bay, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

If you're planning in staying here, don't. Stay anywhere you can, but do yourself, and your future health a favor and sleep in your car if you need to.
This is by a huge margin the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. I knew I may have a problem the moment I stepped into the lobby. Run by a trio of misfits you may find in a dead-beat bar at the far end of town, throwing down shots to the local drunks. The so called manager, a self acclaimed bad&$$ appeared to have just rolled out of bed, unshaven with a distinct odor of 'I just don't bathe very often!' What this guy knows about hospitality is scary. Lobby was pretty much a reflection of the manager, really dirty, stained, and in need of a change.
You'll know you're in a flee bag hotel on your way to your room, trust me. Many of the rooms on the lobby level are taken by long term tenants. Clearly the last resort for some.
The room was absolutely disgusting. I can stomach the dirt bag manager and the other stuff, but the room needs to be somewhat clean. There were missing tiles in the ceiling, stains on the walls, hair including pubic hairs in the bathroom. Vanity light bulbs out, leaks from the bathroom on the higher floors. The bed was probably 15 years old, lumpy with a distinct sag. The room had no air conditioning, with the outside temp too hot to close the window. The room had a door to a deck, but almost a common deck. Unfortunately, most of the tenants are smokers, and with the decks being small, your windows open, they may as well be smoking in the room.
I struggled through the first night, but decided to leave in the morning. This was way too much to bare. The manager refused to not charge me for the second night I was booked in for. He would not give me the owners email, but did give me the hotel email, hello! He basically ripped me off, and refused to allow me to go upstream.
Spend the extra money and get a real, clean, safe place to stay

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Brice T

Travelers are raving about these Juneau hotels

Los Gatos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

There is good reason this inn is ranked #15 out of 16 hotels in Juneau (16 being the worst). I checked into this hotel in May. The room was filthy (dirty curtains and bed spreads) and reeked of smoke. I asked for another room, but was told there were none available. I actually had to leave the room/hotel after being in the room for 20 minutes (the smoke smell affected my asthma). I asked for a refund, but was denied. I would not recommend this inn to anyone visiting the Juneau area. It's sad to see this establishment in such poor shape. I am a frequent visitor to Juneau and I remember when the Breakwater was a great place to stay and the restaurant a good place to dine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Nini95033
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

this motel it's a nightmare .....old looking, not clean ,very noisy room, not a fan to move a little bit the air ,no breakfast ,no restaurant ,no pool, nothing around here , downtown it's a 30 minute walk and not 10 like the guy in the lobby will like to let you believe. Personally I will never come back here not even in a emergency. I will die on the street but not in this crapp

Room Tip: there is no good room stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank skuff-13
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The room was clean and the staff was helpful. The lounge was old school. The restaurant was a convenience. The views were priceless. Being that it is within walking distance of downtown was helpful. Overall the hotel was worth the price but I would not have wanted to pay much more more for it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank 19trekker72
New Orleans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice, once in the summer of 2008 and again in 2012. It is right across the street from the Aurora Basin boat harbor so it is convenient for anyone arriving in Juneau in their own boat. I arrived by kayak after paddling the Inside Passage from Bellingham, Washington and the location was perfect for my needs.
Both times the rooms were clean and faced the waterfront with a nice view. The first time I paid $100 and the second $110 for a room for one person. There is a restaurant in the hotel with a nice view of the waterfront and good food for reasonable prices. It is about a 30 minute walk to downtown along the scenic waterfront. A grocery store, hardware store, various restaurants, and laundry mat are within walking distance

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Carlsbad, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Worst hotel on the planet. First I booked because their website listed a pool and fitness room under hotel amenities, what it did not say is that the pool they were referring to is some kind of youth rec center two or three miles away that is not in anyway associated with this hotel,meaning you have to pay extra. Bottom line, they lied about their amenities.

This place obviously cares about their bar and restaurant before their hotel. However, beware of the restaurant too - they serve Costco hotdog buns as their form of garlic bread. Do not eat or stay here, especially if I don't have healthcare insurance.

Hotel- you can't open windows on one side due to traffic noise, the other side- drunks that are loud, belligerent and smoking non-stop. I got 0 sleep the couple of nights I was there. Drunks everywhere, next door, outside, in hallways.
Place is dirty and gross, staff is not friendly at all, they act like you are a pest and annoying them.

Loud, dirty, rude and dishonest - sums it all up! Saving a bit of money is just not worth it, even if you are broke. Pay extra $10 a night elsewhere and you will have much better time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo