$129
Orbitz.com
$129
$115
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe real thingwatering holeshared bathred dog salooncharm and charactervery cool placeprivate bathroomheart of downtowncruise shiplocation is greatnothing fancyroom was clean and comfortablevisiting juneaubrothelcruisers
Reviewed August 20, 2017

I love historic hotels. I love hotels with a shared bath. I like saving money, supporting some place local, and not feeling like I'm staying in a generic room I could stay at anywhere.

So the Alaska hotel was an easy choice for me. It was also the wrong one. The place is not super clean - the bathrooms were a little gross - and it smells off. Or at least our room did.

But what may have been the nail in the coffin for me is the price. At around $80 a night it's reasonable, but when you add in that you have to spend $20 + each way to get to the airport, and more if you're taking the ferry, for a quick trip you're much better off at one of the hotels in town with a free shuttle. And I really just can't imagine more than one night in this place.

But it does have character! And the front desk staff are great!

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
alaskan1913, Owner at The Alaskan Hotel & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would love to talk to you more in fact. I have the 2nd floor showers on the schedule to remodle this Sept right after labor day. they do need it. You are exactly the guest that I primarily feel is my area. so if you are unhappy then I am unhappy. Are you coming back to Juneau in the future? I would love for you to tell me in depth what you think. What room were you in so I can look at it. I also paln on recarpeting many rooms as well

Reviewed August 13, 2017

I stayed here for 4 nights and for me it was a perfect gateway to all the delights of Juneau. Yes it is old but the historic value was worth the stay. I booked a queen with kitchenette and ensuite that was clean and tidy. Only down side were the staff at reception did not acknowledge my presence but continued talking with each other. If you are wanting a historical place, book the executive room as I did. If you want a modern, minimalistic hotel this is not the place for you. I would stay here again if ever in Juneau.

Stayed: July 2017, traveled solo
alaskan1913, Owner at The Alaskan Hotel & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2017

Thank you for the good review. I will look into the staff not being attentive.

Reviewed August 13, 2017

Since the airing of the TV show 'Hotel Impossible' the improvements are amazing. The owners have poured heart & soul into upgrades. It sparkles in my opinion and I like staying there. It's close to the heart of old Juneau and within walking distance of many attractions & amenities. This part of Juneau does have its seedy side.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a unique hotel close to the history of the gold rush period, choose The Alaskan.
  • Stayed: July 2017, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positie review. I appreciate it.

Reviewed August 10, 2017 via mobile

I generally love historic hotels but after this one I will be Leary. I was careful to read reviews and know that you must read between the lines. When we arrived the street this hotel was on was filled with lots of derelicts. Now I realize this is not the fault of the management but it is not welcoming. The people working there were not that nice but someone did offer to carry my luggage up to the room. There is no elevator. Then while registering I had to initial in Ten places that I wouldn't have guests in my room after hours. This too should have alerted me. The shared bathrooms have signs to remind people to flush and I feel uncomfortable with this.
The hotel is historic and there are some neat things about it. We had a room with another set of steps. The room had a bathroom, loft and kitchen. Not sure why there was a kitchen, perhaps it goes back to the days this place was even more of a flop house, it wasn't usable. The carpet in the room was filthy as was the shower curtain. Honestly I felt afraid to get near that curtain in that tiny shower. Not to mention there is a serious mold problem around the shower drain. The bed was uncomfortable but the sheets were clean. I would have asked for my money back but I reserved through an online booking Company. There is no parking for your car, no breakfast and no free shuttle provided.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank esopus35
alaskan1913, Owner at The Alaskan Hotel & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I will address the shower curtain issue and investigate what is unusable about the kitchen. No one else has had any issues with 311. Most people request that room.
Thank you again especially for the sepecifics.

Reviewed August 10, 2017 via mobile

I don't think I've ever stayed in the worse hotel. First they put us in a room with two beds – one was like a taco lower in the middle and high on the edges. The mattress should have been thrown out long ago.

The room had one window that opened on the stairway from down on the street so we couldn't open it and therefore have no ventilation in the room. It smelled stuffy and moldy.

They moved us to another room that was like a dorm room two twin beds barely enough room for the two suitcases. At least it had a window we could open and get fresh air.

I recommend you play a little more for a better hotel but do not stay on this one!

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
1  Thank MSDurrant

Thank you for thaking the time to review the hotel. I will look into which room you were in and see what can be done to make it better.