“It Is what it Is”

The Alaskan Hotel & Bar
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I am a prior Alaska resident, now long removed but recently took a self guided trip with a good friend and our sons, aged 7 and 9. We stayed in the Westin Grand in Vancouver but as our travel continued north, we stayed at lesser luxury but increasingly unique and memorable places. I strongly considered staying at the best rated places but knew that staying near the airport made a car or taxi necessary to go back and forth.

I decided to stay downtown at this hotel for location. I knew the Baranoff around the corner was "nicer" but for the price for small rooms and little charm wasn't worth it. I must say I was surprised by our experience. We stayed in a suite, supposedly haunted, and had a great time. It had windows to open for ventilation, was high enough that we were not disturbed by noise, and had a fun bar for the dads to get a beer/drink. We had a great stay....sure it is dingy, occassional smells of marijuana in the halls and laughter and music coming from rooms but it is a living place.....except for the ghost in our room. It is a place for those looking for adventure, fun and a central location. Sure it isn't the Westin but keep a seasoned traveler attitude and enjoy it for what it is and keep your expectations low.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank snydersonthego
There are newer reviews for The Alaskan Hotel & Bar

Reviewed August 8, 2012

The Alaskan isn't the newest hotel around- but that's part of its appeal. After a negative experience at the Juneau Hostel, I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the staff at the Alaskan. We booked a room that was too smoky for us, and the management upgraded us at no extra charge. Also, they were helpful in providing us directions and information about the town. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed at the Alaskan Hotel in June for 2 nights. I'm not into staying at 4 or 5 star establishments, all I wanted was a bed and working wi-fi, which is what I got. The hotel itself is nearly 100 years old, and it shows, but to me, that aged character really appealed. My room was something out of the early 1900's, and I used a shared bathroom down the hall. They were fine. The hotel bar was great, the staff friendly, and the price for what you get was reasonable. Not for everybody, but for me it was perfect.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Graeme J
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Spent 4th of July in Juneau. This is a old hotel built in the 1900's. nothing fancy but, fun for a place to crash and convenient to walk everywhere downtown. No elevators and not for those expecting top of the line accommodations. The front desk folks are all international and a little hard to understand for instance I asked where the closest laundromat was only to find that I had coin operated facilities on my floor. There's a pretty happening bar downstairs with lots of live music, so worthy of a nightcap.

Room Tip: Pay extra to have a private bathroom, so worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pattislater
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Alaskan Hotel & Bar in June and could not have asked for a cooler place. Great for the independent traveler. The location can not be beat. The room was comfortable and had the feel of yesteryear. The bar was great and a lot of fun with live music and nice friendly people. The decore with its stained glass lamps, rich dark wood bar and old pictures certainly brings one to imagine this gem in its heyday. Thank you Ken for a great stay. We would definitely stay at The Alaskan if we find ourselves in Juneau again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen H
Reviewed July 9, 2012

(This review is for the hotel only, not the bar.) I recently stayed at the Alaskan Hotel on a quick visit to Juneau, and found it to be an amusing experience. The hotel will be 100 years old in 2013, and you can tell. The floors are creaky, wallpapered halls are like something from a horror film, and the rooms are cramped. On the upside, I didn't hear any noise from the bar, my bed was comfortable, and the shower had great water pressure. Don't expect any perks like tiny shampoos, but come with a sense of adventure. The hotel is located right downtown on Franklin Street, within easy walking distance of the shops, restaurants, aerial tram, and other highlights. For a traveler on a budget, this is a fun choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not directly over the bar.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Didn't have super high expectations given price for such a great location, and noting it is above a popular bar. However it is not a place to stay if you plan on sleeping before midnightt or 1am. Unfortunately the entire building vibrates with the heavy base in the bar (I was on 3rd level) until 1am most nights during the week, and much later on Friday/Saturday nights. Can easily overlook the odd-smelling room and questionable cleaning of linen for dirt cheap cost, but when you can't function during the day because of noise in the room, it is just not worth it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends