I am a prior Alaska resident, now long removed but recently took a self guided trip with a good friend and our sons, aged 7 and 9. We stayed in the Westin Grand in Vancouver but as our travel continued north, we stayed at lesser luxury but increasingly unique and memorable places. I strongly considered staying at the best rated places but knew that staying near the airport made a car or taxi necessary to go back and forth.
I decided to stay downtown at this hotel for location. I knew the Baranoff around the corner was "nicer" but for the price for small rooms and little charm wasn't worth it. I must say I was surprised by our experience. We stayed in a suite, supposedly haunted, and had a great time. It had windows to open for ventilation, was high enough that we were not disturbed by noise, and had a fun bar for the dads to get a beer/drink. We had a great stay....sure it is dingy, occassional smells of marijuana in the halls and laughter and music coming from rooms but it is a living place.....except for the ghost in our room. It is a place for those looking for adventure, fun and a central location. Sure it isn't the Westin but keep a seasoned traveler attitude and enjoy it for what it is and keep your expectations low.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An historic hotel located in the center of downtown Juneau, the Alaskan is on the National Register of Historic Places. It was opened as a hotel in 1913. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Alaskan Hotel & Bar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Alaskan Hotel And Bar
- Alaskan Hotel Juneau
- The Alaskan Hotel & Bar Juneau, Alaska