“Stinky Alaskan”

The Alaskan Hotel & Bar
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I too stayed here after reading reviews about a lovely historical hotel in my travel guide. I booked room 311 which has it's own bathroom and kitchenette including microwave, fridge and stove. Rate online said $120 incl tax...not true. $134 after tax per night plus $50 deposit.
Be prepared to haul your luggage up the stairs with no assistance.
The hotel stinks. It is supposed to be non-smoking, but people smoke in the shared restrooms. The smell was making my kid's and my eyes burn. The halls smell bad. There is no moldy smell in this room though. The room has curtain rods, but one window is bare. There are no mosquito nets so you cannot leave the windows open at night. The room is quite warm...and the mosquitoes are huge! Closets are missing knobs, pictures have screws sticking out of them, handle of stove is loose. Bed cover is stained and does not smell very good.
There is no hairdryer available for use. The room has a scale though...in case you want to weigh yourself.
Laundry facilities are available, but the hot water to the washers has been disconnected. Load $1.50.Dryer $2.
This room does not have as much bar noise as one of the others.
Desk staff not too helpful and have limited English.

• Stayed: June 2011
5  Thank GinaUys

Reviewed September 16, 2010

Why didn't we read TripAdvisor first?? We arrived at 7:30pm on a Wed night; no one was at the desk. Eventually a young man appeared and tried to help although he was not an employee (he later was the guy who parked his two bikes in front of the stairs totally blocking access). Later a young woman appeared and seemed to know a little and was able to check us in. Parking is two blocks away. Once the cruise shIps leave, the businesses close and the area becomes very seedy. No woman should stay there by herself. As mentioned before, there's a $50 damage deposit, the doors are locked at night, and no one is available from 2am-8am (at 8am an employee goes around knocking on doors to see if you've left - tells you something doesn't it?). The hotel smelled (like stale beer my husband said), it is not restored in anyway, when we opened the door to the room it crashed into the bathroom door, the bathroom door couldn't be opened all the way because it ran into the foot of the bed, there was very LOUD music from 9:30-12:30. When we went down to the desk to complain the young man there said we should just hang on until 12:30. There is no sound proofing at all! Our room was advertised as a kitchenette: apparently that means two electric burners with the cord wrapped in electrical tape, small fridge, microwave, no dishes or utensils or linens, NO COFFEE POT. Oh and by the way, NO ALARM CLOCK. The hotel could be quite cool with a little effort but obviously the owners don't want to put in the time. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank spinachlover
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I don't think I have to add anything else,except that manager is so greedy that after I bring dead mouse into the front desk from my room he wouldn't even give me any discount!

4  Thank Chrisations
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We were excited about staying at this historic hotel. It had been recommended in a guidebook which did NOT prepare us for the fact that it is now essentially a flophouse. The desk wanted a $50 deposit for any damages we might cause and there was a sign posted that all visitors must leave by 11 p.m. plus anyone not inside the hotel by 2 am would be locked out until 5 am. To say the people coming and going were a bit seedy would be an understatement.

I do hope the management restores this great hotel to its former excellence.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank nea49
Reviewed August 4, 2009

The guidebook said this place was basic but that it was clean and had historic charm. The outside is definitely charming, but inside it is filthy, noisy, run down. We had to switch floors because NONE of the shared bathrooms was usable on our original floor and the staff told me they had no intention of cleaning them up (prior occupants soiled the seats in one and the other was clogged). In our 'new' room, the window was broken. The owner came up to give me some duct tape to 'fix' it myself and he implied that I was lucky he didn't charge me for breaking it. The bathroom on that floor did flush and wasn't smeared with waste, but the toilet seat came off in my hand when I tried to lower it.
The place is popular with the frat crowd so it is noisy and smoky (despite the signs throughout saying no smoking because of the historic all-wood construction). The staff were indifferent at best and rude more often.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank debbiebrooklyn
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I wanted to travel just like a pioneer, without camping out, I wanted basics, a bed and a toliet and historic- surroundings---so there is no hairdryer, coffemaker, no hotel wake-up call etc---
my room was cute in a very old=fashion way--yes there were some areas that could have been touched up, but I did find it to be clean--aliitle cold so I asked for another blanket--I
had no phone or clock--so I used my cell phone for an alarm as i had some very early trips planned---I did have a tv---It truley met my needs--resturants are right there, the barnoff
hotel is just a few buildings up for a nice place for breakfast and lunch--closed for dinner,
best to go to red dog saloon-just a block away and the hotel is mins away from the tracy
arms tour and a few blocks away from the main dock.-----

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank pennyhenny743
Reviewed September 2, 2008

This place was truly a dump. Noisy, smelly, dirty. We paid extra for a bathroom and the shower didn't work at all. No adjusment was made to our bill.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank timbz