All reviews bubble room in town restaurant staff front desk staff an older hotel bed was comfortable westmark bella keli downtown alaska pat russell heritage capital mt
Selected filters
Reviewed October 11, 2018

This is the third time I have stay at the Baranof. Unfortunately we were booked during a major renovation. The lobby was torn apart with dust and dirt everywhere. The staff seemed to be in permanent dress down mode so that you couldn't tell the staff from the guests. The restuarant wasn't in top form either and served wine that was off and overdone crabcakes.

Room tip: mountain views are the best
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Relax50655913997, Guest Relations Manager at Baranof Downtown, BW Signature Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Baranof Hotel. I want to apologize for the disarray of our hotel and for the inconvenience it caused during your stay with us.

We are currently in the process of wrapping up our lobby construction project and changing our restaurant menu. I was sad to hear that you had such a unsatisfying experience in our restaurant and I would encourage you to give us another chance in the future as we are continually working to improve in all areas.

I assure you that next time around we will be a much better place to stay without the dust and better food!

Reviewed September 25, 2018 via mobile

Don’t be fooled by the other reviews like I was. I booked this room for 5 days and that will be cut short to 1 day. First thing I do whenever I get to a hotel is check the bed. I found TONS of hair on the sheets and what looks like dried blood on the pillow. So disgusting. And the rooms are so tiny I could not even wheel my suite case around to the bed. When I notified the staff of this, the lady only replied “oh that sucks”. Not impressed one bit. I will never be back. I paid through Expedia for 5 days, therefore I got no refund. But that’s better than risking contact with bed bugs or lice.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank CheyRoseH

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at the Westmark Baranof Hotel. We appreciate feedback such as yours, to know when we have completely missed the mark.

I was very disappointed to read of your experience during your stay with us. I know that an apology doesn't change the experience you had with us, but we want you to know we are sincerely sorry.

There are physical aspects of the hotel we cannot change, but we will address all issues you brought up with cleanliness and customer service.

Please accept my apology and I assure you that we are working to correct all of your mentioned issues.

Reviewed September 22, 2018

The Westmark Baranof is a hotel under renovation (at least I think so). The rooms are older, but fairly well appointed. One thing I didn't like is that the in-room thermostat didn't work, and we had to open the windows to keep things cool.

That said, it has a good location, attentive staff, and is an upper-mid-range hotel property - nothing fancy, but not at all like a motel. I'd probably stay there again if I were to visit Juneau, but I'll say that it's nowhere near as nice as the Westmark hotel in Sitka.

One more thing: the food at the in-house restaurant is fine, but expensive ... unless you're tired or pressed for time, I'd find some of the more interesting restaurants in Juneau instead (especially if the cruise ship folks are either gone or on their boats).

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Relax50655913997, Guest Relations Manager at Baranof Downtown, BW Signature Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us here at the Baranof Hotel. We have been under some construction to update our lobby, restaurant, bar, and we are working to update our hotel rooms. As a hotel built in 1936, we have our challenges but we are glad you took advantage of our location in Downtown Juneau and we hope that you will choose to stay with us again when you travel to Juneau.

Reviewed September 19, 2018

You can't beat the location of this hotel and you can't beat Keli....she made it incredibly easy to book excursions and her recommendations were spot on for what we were looking to do. Having Keli's desk at this hotel makes this hotel worth every penny and I will be staying here again on my next trip to Juneau, AK. Thank you Baranof and thank you, Keli!!!

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us here at the Baranof Hotel. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, and I agree that Keli's Concierge in our lobby gives those visiting Alaska a clear vision of how to spend their time while in the 49th state. I appreciate your kind feedback and we hope to see you when your travels bring you back to Juneau.

Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here nearly a week. Worst week of sleep in my life. Walls may actually be made of tissue paper, neighbors were all clearly audible through the walls at normal speaking volumes. Wallpaper was ripped, peeling, and dirty. Carpet as thin as the walls, drawers in furniture wouldn’t stay closed, and the showers...oh my. Forget being able to control the temperature—it’s going to be whatever it wants to be, frequently 6 or 7 different dramatic highs and lows throughout a single shower. The pressure was ok, which is a blessing because you want to get out as fast as you can. Service isn’t great either. Midway we just flat out ran out of toilet paper because housekeeping never supplied a spare roll. Finally, don’t even bother with the restaurants. They’re understaffed and the staff that is there isn’t interested in doing much. We spent 30 minutes in the bar one night with maybe 3 other parties present and were never able to even place an order. You can probably do worse, but it should be pretty easy to do miles better. The night lights in the bathroom say that it’s owned by Holland America, so I guess it’s slapped together just enough to keep cruise ship passengers under a roof on overnights, but it’s definitely unsuited to any kind of multiple night stay.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family

Hi Kate,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us at the Baranof Hotel. I know post-trip there is very little we can do, but I want to let you know that we are sincerely sorry for all the issues that you experienced while you were here. We have been in the midst of a very large project to improve the hotel in all areas. We have been updating and remodeling our lobby, and rooms and I'm sorry that you were staying in one of the rooms that hasn't been updated yet. We have transitioned away from the Holland America line and we are looking forward to offering a excellent hotel experience in Downtown Juneau. I hope you consider giving us another chance if your travels bring you back to Juneau.