“His name is Rod”

Westmark Baranof Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is one of those places I wanted to give a good review to but, there are to many things to overlook. First the good, this is a really old hotel by Alaska standards so it hold a,ot of history and charm. The lobby and bar have lots wood and are nice places to sit and spend time. The Rooms are old but remodled and beutiful, not run down. The things that should be left alone they have like the interior doors, and the windows still open all the way.
But the two rooms I have stayed in are small, very small. Sound proffing is non existant, we heard every conversation in the hall. We heard every flush of the toilets in the adjacent rooms. The first morning I was woke up by showers and toilets and by the guy the next door asking Rod where he wanted to get coffee!
Parking is a night mare, in fact some one ran into my car and the lady at the car rental said it is the site of the most damage.
To be fair Juneau has old narrow streets on steep hills, made for foott traffic not cars.
The strength of the is place is the staff, they will go the extra mile to make your stay the best it can be.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Foodsthegame
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments about your experience when staying at the Baranof Westmark.

We have a variety of rooms at the Westmark. On your next visit to Juneau I would like to give you a tour of our rooms and show you the different room types we have to choose from. Sometimes in the summer it is quitter on a higher floor.

In the past several months we upgraded all of our hotel rooms with new mattress and flat screen TV’s and newly carpeted 70 of our rooms. We recently upgraded our elevator and we are continually upgrading the property. Please contact me anytime and thank you for your input.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

As others have said, there aren't many choices in Juneau for hotels. I chose this one mostly for its downtown location, which was very convenient. The first room we were given -- King suite on the 6th floor -- was pretty dismal. Out of date, smelled bad. We asked for one of the renovated rooms and were moved to a king suite on the 7th floor. It was better and provided us with a clean, functional place to stay for 6 nights. The management at the desk made an effort to give us a room that we would be happy with, and the housekeeping staff are really great -- very clean. Our room faced the back, so it was very quiet. The bed was comfortable. Our heat stopped working in the middle of our stay, so the management delivered a space heater. This hotel should be a lot less expensive for what you get. A decent 2.5-star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

We appreciate that you took the time to offer us your valued feedback. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. Being centrally located in downtown Juneau allows our guest the flexibility of visiting shops and the water front all within walking distance of our front door.

We continually renovate our hotel and have all new bed’s and top of the bed program. We are in the processing of installing new carpet this week! Another project we anticipate in the spring will be a newly painted Westmark Baranof!

We hope to see you again very soon and appreciate you recommendation.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

In Juneau there are not many choices - keep this in mind. Rundown:

Room: When I checked in I was given a king suite. The room was not remarkable - I would compare it to a Fairfield Inn. It was about low end average. It was clean and the room was fairly large. Basically a very small one bedroom apartment. I had a corner room and it was very drafty. It did not really bother me but I could see it being a problem for some.

Wireless: It worked well.

Location: Downtown - you could walk everywhere.

Food: I ate at the diner for breakfast, it was not great at all and a little rundown. I would probably go elsewhere to eat, there are other options in town.

Parking: The lot is in back and it is extremely cramped. If you have an issue w/ this sort of set up I would look for another option.

Bottom line - I'd stay here again due to the options in this city. It is an old hotel and you can tell an effort has been made to keep it up. Historically it is a good place to stay as far as saying you did. For this city it probably deserves a four star but compared to other cities - high two star low three.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

I want to thank you very much for taking the time to write your opinion and for sharing such a positive comment about the Baranof Westmark on tripadvisor.com. I am pleased to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay.

It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and I am glad to hear that we succeeded. Thank you so much mentioning our housekeeping staff, it is our mission to keep our facility updated and rooms comfortable
We hope to see you again very soon and appreciate you recommendation.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I spent 3 nights there this past weekend. The room I was in had a nice view of the water. One of the down sides of having a room facing the water is that you end up hearing all the noise from the street. I was woken up a couple times during the night/early morning by people talking as they were walking down the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Mountain side if you want to sleep through the night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 13, 2013

If you’ve been to Juneau before or follow Alaska politics you’ve heard of the Baranof. The first time I stayed there I remember my room being gray and showing its age. This year (Feb 2013) I was in a 3rd floor room and it was spruced up—the paint was a cheery yellow, the bathroom had been overhauled, and the bathroom floor felt heated. The first room assigned to me was right across from the elevators and ice machine. I requested a move to a quiet location and my wish was granted; I recommend the mountain side of the hotel. The café offers a great breakfast. The Gold Room is great for dinner—you may need a reservation, especially during the legislative session—and they have a signature salad that is really terrific. The hotel is in a great location if you want to see downtown, especially on foot. Parking is free but very limited.

Room Tip: Request a mountain side room for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for choosing Baranof Westmark as your home away from home while in lovely Juneau and for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We’re elated to hear that you had such a pleasant time during your recent stay! We set out each and every day to create unforgettable experiences to our guests and from the looks of it; you were able to accomplish exactly that!! Its reviews like yours that keep us all inspired and committed to providing the best possible service to all our guests!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Alright.... We do not even know where to start....
1. Parking lot is too small and everyone parks too close to each other.
2. The restaurant is extremely overpriced.
3. The room was way too small and outdated.
4. No ventilation anywhere with mold in the bathroom.
5. Small beds with not enough pillows. (We had to exchange the pillows because they were too old)
6. Room temperature impossible to regulate ( it was way too hot and stuffy)
7. Overall service terrible and unfriendly.

Finally, the ONE bright spot of the whole hotel is the breakfast/ lunch cafe. Great food, great service, great environment!

Highly recommend to stay at any other hotel and stop by for the breakfast here.

If all the other hotels are booked, stay in your car! About the same size with better air!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Ekaterina-William

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have stayed a few times here, and the staff is very helpful. Well located for visiting the Capital. A little expensive, but Juneau in the winter is that way everywhere. Has meeting rooms that are helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and I am glad to hear that we succeeded. Thank you so much mentioning our staff, it is our mission to keep our facility updated and rooms comfortable.