New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Juneau Hotel

Juneau Hotel
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
Sydney, Australia
“It has Everything including the Kitchen Sink”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

Juneau Hotel is about a 10 min flat work away from the city centre towards airport. Not a hard walk even pulling bags except it was raining! The usual check in time is 3 pm unfortunately it turned out to be 4.30 pm ! When we finally got in after many apologies we had room 1205 -full kitchen and dishwasher, lounge, table and desk, main bedroom, bunk room with a double and single bunks, bathroom with jet bath and washing machine and tumble dryer AND 3 TV's - due to late check-in the main receptionist gave us free washing powder as she explained the lake near the glacier broke its banks and many people were evacuated to hotels therefore making them run SO late!
Juneau hotel has 5 "rooms" possibly 6 meaning the 6th which is interconnecting has no bathroom facilities . Room 1403 (no bathroom)/1405 are interconnecting to make 1 large "apartment", 1407/9 has 2 bathrooms plus everything else , 1404 (upstairs) large bed and living area,1408 is open plan. ALL rooms have a full kitchen (+dishwasher) washer/dryer , TV's bathroom, bedrooms and are very clean , spacious and comfortable . The hotel has free high speed wireless Internet!
Juneau city centre is very touristy and due to the low cloud cover we couldn't go up the tram (cable car) as visibility was non existent! We did wander around and visited the museum which was holding an "empty chair" exhibition to remember all the American Japanese who were gathered up and put in detention during the war and visited the Parliament House building.
Juneau hotel has a shuttle to down town/airport/ ferry!
Washing powder/tumble dryer pads are available for purchase at reception but cheaper to bring your own.
It has vending machines adjacent to the lobby for snacks.
Downtown has 2 small convenience stores within a pharmacy and a bottle shop to purchase snacks/dinner - the bottle shop one has a better selection.

Sleep Quality
1 Thank trina027

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Red Deer, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

I thought that by personally booking with the manager (FiTi sp) that our stay would be guaranteed - not so - our room was given away after 3 months of verbal confirmation with the manager and day of arrival confirmation call. When we arrived at 2300hrs - room was given to someone else and no real explanation offered other than .... Sorry we gave your room to someone else. Then they wanted to charge us a room rate that did not apply to the substandard room they put us in. Very disappointed. If you can - stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SMRTTraveller11

Travelers are raving about these Juneau hotels

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

In January 2014 I reserved a "luxury suite" for 2 friends. This was to be a room with 2 beds, kitchen, laundry facility in room, just a big room for $179 a night. We checked in around 2-2:30p.m. and was told the room wasn't ready, that was okay. Then in the next breath they tell me that they changed rooms on us. We were getting a handicap room.

She took us down to look at it and there was only 1 bed in the bedroom and one of us, me, had to use the sofa bed. Not the best sleeping on those. She offered me a folding bed which isn't much better. Then she said I could put the folding bed mattress on the hideaway bed. That turned out to help some. It was just a pain to set up each night. I had no dresser, night table or closet space. She also said we would have a much bigger bathroom with tub. I wasn't planning to dance in there!

When I went back to the front desk I mentioned that I was paying $179 for 2 beds and since this had only 1, why isn't the price lower. Well, she told me she would work a special price for me, $139! When I went on line I found out that is the original price for that room anyway.

This room had an outside entrance near the parking lot which was convenient since we had lots of camera equipment to haul in and out each day. It wasn't fancy but it was clean. They washed up a couple of our plates and utensils twice but didn't refresh our coffee supply. Towels were replaced.

The morning I left was too early for their shuttle so I arranged for a cab from Yellow Taxi to pick me up at 4:30a.m. I came back to the office at 4:20 with my last suitcase just as he was pulling out. The girl at the desk called them and the dispatcher was rude saying they come 15 minutes early, no one told me, She proceeded to say how he left at 4:20 and should have waited till 4:30. She then called another taxi company and he was there in 12 minutes.

The room was quiet even though we were along side the Douglas Bridge.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep with windows open, don't get a room on the bridge or main road side.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Charleston, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

First, the staff was wonderful and very friendly; however, the amenities ended there. My wife and I traveled to Juneau to run a race and we learned quickly that the advertised courtesy airport pickup ended at a certain time. Indeed, our return trip to the airport also was too early. Our trip to the actual race at 9 am did not qualify as well: the courtesy travel was nonexistent. The room was very drab and outdated. I don't have complaints about the cleanliness, but there was no carpet and the tile flooring was cold. Moreover, the staff did not change our linens or refill the coffee service. The topper was the the soothing crooning of a drunk sitting and singing outside our bedroom window in some overgrown weeds comforted us as we tried to sleep our first night there. Wife and I walked downtown each day which was probably a mile away and wasn't a bad walk, just not a pretty walk.

Location
Wanaka, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Not in the best location, you do need a car to visit downtown, about 5 minutes drive. Apartment was clean and comfortable with a separate bedroom. We didn't notice the noise from the bridge and found the kitchen reasonably equipped, though lacking a toaster. The laundry facility was most useful.

Littleton, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed here on a recent trip to Juneau for 2 nights and had a third night scheduled after a trip to another town on a return trip (more about that later).

We were picked up at the airport by the courtesy shuttle which was quick since the airport is about 10 minutes away from the hotel. We then checked in and were assigned room 1408. We entered the room which is at the end of the hall on the first floor. We quickly discovered that this was an ADA room, which was a disappointment since we were not informed when we made the reservation 5 months in advance. If I would have known that we would be in an ADA room, I probably would have stayed elsewhere. I would have been fine with the ADA room if it was designed correctly as I have stayed in ADA rooms before. The MAJOR design flaw was that the shower was located between the toilet and the sink with no shower curtain!! That means, when you take a shower, the entire bathroom floor gets wet. REALLY, REALLY inconvenient for anyone who uses the bathroom after someone takes a shower. Adding a shower head seemed to be an after thought based on the configuration. We also speculate that the room was a converted meeting/conference room. This was evident with the fluorescent lighting and the big GREEN ILLUMINATED EXIT SIGN. This made it a little challenging to sleep with the bright green glow. I also have to note that the room was at the end of the hall which was the closest to a major street intersection. This would have probably been ok if we didn't need to open the windows, but we did since the room was very warm when we checked in (no A/C). So, we took the traffic noise in-lieu of having a hot room to sleep in. The concrete floors (no carpet) were also cold in the morning which helped to wake us up. The only positive thing that I can say about this room is that the beds were comfortable and the room appeared clean. It was definitely not a Suite as advertised. What also irritated me was that after we checked out the room, we went to the front desk and requested to be relocated. She indicated that the hotel was sold out and we could not move, but when we checked in, they pulled out our room key from a group of at least 8 rooms. My assumption was that they gave us this room as here were two guys that could probably stick it out. At $200 a night, we were not about to stick it out.

The next morning, we requested to be relocated to another room and were accommodated. We were given a room on the third floor and was a vast improvement (although any room had to be better than 1408). This room too was a little warm and faced the intersection so we again kept our windows open all night. Fortunately, we were pretty tired from our activities during the day and the noise from the traffic was tolerable. This room was a true suite with a separate room for the beds and had carpet!!! The room was clean and had the amenities that were advertised on the website.

The breakfast was very minimal with coffee, fruit and packaged pastries. I would not rely on this food if you need a full stomach.

The hotel itself is also about a mile from downtown where all the shops and restaurants are located and was walkable (about 20 minutes or so).

I mentioned previously that we had a third night reserved, well, we cancelled that reservation and stayed at a Best Western that was closer to the airport (I have a separate review for that).

The staff was not friendliest, nor the rudest. It also seemed that their computers were always down and a lot of new staff was being trained while we were there.

My recommendation to management would be to ONLY use room 1408 for disabled individuals. Really, this room should be converted back to a meeting room.

Since this was my first trip to Juneau, I learned a lot about the town. Next time, I will stay a hotel that is closer to downtown and not next to a major intersection. If you do decide to stay here, I would recommend a room that faces away from the intersection. I did not make the reservation and I did not review it on trip advisor prior to my trip (lesson learned).

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 1408 and get a room that faces away from the intersection.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Scott876
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

What a pleasant surprise to find a diamond in the rough! Beautiful hotel. The staff, especially Monique, were extremely professional, friendly and went above and beyond to make my stay a great one. The corner room on the 3rd floor was a great place to watch the fireworks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo