“Really great lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
Anchorage, Alaska
“Really great lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

They sure know how to cook a corned beef sandwich, yum!

This place is a little hard to find, despite the fact that it is near the corner of Front St and Main. It's on the second floor of a multi-shop business and way in the back. But look for it. There was a board on the sidewalk near the entrance directing me to it. Food's good, and the prices are good, especially considering that this is Alaska at the height of tourist season.

Visited July 2013

Toledo, Washington
“Decent sandwich, good soup”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Fairly good food but a real budget outfit: Cheap chairs and tables etc. Also, it was very HOT and there is no ventilation AT ALL. I would get it to go or have them deliver.

Visited May 2013
Juneau, AK
“Cheesesteak sandwich: meat and bread were good; the rest, not quite so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I visited Grumpy's for lunch on a rainy morning in April 2013.

It was a few minutes before noon with only one other set of patrons in the place. I had been here before a few weeks prior and had the Reuben sandwich. My impression of that was that it was a good sandwich, just not enough of it for the price charged.

This time, I ordered the cheesesteak sandwich. Being a Pennsylvania native, I am always interested to sample other locations' versions of the Philadelphia classic. I have yet to find a place that is equal to or better than PHL. After my visit to Grumpy's, that record stands.

My order came out about five minutes later. The sandwich was served with a large hoagie roll and featured a standard amount of rib-eye steak (not too much, not too little). The meat was genuinely good and flavorful. There were all manner of peppers in the thing, some yellow and some orange. I didn't see any onion at all. Come to think of it, there wasn't a lot of cheese in it either.

Hey, it tasted good, don't get me wrong. But for $10 and the use of the sandwich name, they should strive for a little more authenticity. Given my background, my expectations are probably somewhat skewed.

The staff is very pleasant and friendly. The chef made sure to thank me when I left, and I thought that was a nice touch.

Grumpy's definitely has cultivated a following and is a popular lunchtime option with people who work downtown. If I worked downtown, I would probably visit there regularly.

• Visited April 2013
Juneau, Alaska
“Great food, homestyle feel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Love this place. Fun and family friendly with awesome food. Its obvious they use good quality ingredients. The food is very satisfying. I will definitely go back sometime soon.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Fun and tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly staff, excellent pastrami. Bread on sandwiches is awesome! Plenty of seating. Good selection of drinks.