Review Highlights
Amazing

This tour was the highlight of our Alaska vacation. We are so grateful to Dan and our guide Sam... read more

Reviewed August 31, 2020
LS2220
New York City, New York
Epic Experience

There are a lot of amazing wildlife experiences in Alaska, but the experiences offered by Pack... read more

Reviewed August 18, 2020
dalef595

Recommended experiences in and around Juneau
from $870.77
from $139.75
from $47.25
from $870.77
More Info
All reviews admiralty island float plane their natural habitat chichagof island salmon once in a lifetime great family experience smooth landing scenic flight southeast alaska amazing wildlife rain pants bucket list item unique experience beautiful waterfall highlight of our trip sow
Selected filters
Reviewed August 6, 2018

This was a disappointing experience. We paid a lot and saw virtually no bears just a couple walking around. The plane ride to Admiralty Island was fun. Great views and real experience to take off and land on water. Very smooth flight. The guide was very know,edgeable but I did not realize this is a bear sanctuary and you cannot go on hikes to find bears and never off the Park Service two trails. You are stuck seeing bears at one or two of the viewing areas.

I have been on bear watching tours in other areas where you see much more.

Honestly I would save the $800 per ticket and choose a different type of tour. Maybe other groups are more lucky but the morning group also was disappointed (I was told when we talked to them upon arrival).

Definite not the guides fault, but it was just a underwhelming experience.

Date of experience: August 2018
Dan K, General Manager at Pack Creek Bear Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2018

Thanks for your comments and I'm sorry the trip didn't live up to your expectations. Wildlife is never a sure thing and some days are quieter than others. This does sounds like a "slow day" at Pack Creek. This has been a strange summer with lots of warm weather which has had an impact on bear sightings. While we love sunny Alaskan days, the bears seem happier with cooler, wetter weather. These are some of the variables we don't control, and some of the chances that are always involved in a wilderness wildlife experience.

Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

This was a rough July: zero inches rain means rivers not running, salmon not running, bears laying in wait (and out of site). We went to an alternate location in search of said furry critters (half-day trip). Everything was great, including the hiking, bear scouting, scenery, and plane ride (saw a couple bears and a whale out the window). We did see a bear exiting the river. You can’t blame Dan for the bear shortage!!! Everything within his control he did most excellently, we were happy to travel with him, and would love the chance to go again!!! (On a rainy month).

Date of experience: August 2018
Dan K, General Manager at Pack Creek Bear Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2018

Hard to believe we're asking for rain in Southeast Alaska! Thanks for coming along on this scouting mission. A big part of what thrills me about Alaska are the vast spaces I haven't gotten to explore yet. This spot was new to me and I really enjoyed getting to see it. Typically we hope it won't rain, but I am glad to see the clouds return!

Reviewed July 16, 2018 via mobile

This was our first day in Alaska having travelled from London the day before

The guide Mya was fabulous and lead the group well and her passion for the brown bear was foremost

The flight over was lovely spotting a bear on the creek

The permitted area covered by the rangers based there is quite small

We watched a brother and sister pair from quite a distance from the viewing area followed by a mother bear which crossed the river delta

We walked up the first part of the trail looking at the bear habitat

We had a surprise passing of mother and cub on the way down

One slight negative at the end of the day was a very aggressive pilot from Alsakan seaplanes who just barked at us to get on the plane as quickly as possible left me to walk on float unsupervised , managed to knock my head on the wing
He continued to bark at us to get our seat belts on as if we were escaping on a military mission Definitely should nit be working in a tourist facing industry!

Overall a very special day ; Im glad we have more bear viewings coming up in Kodiak, Brooks and Katmai

Date of experience: July 2018
Dan K, General Manager at Pack Creek Bear Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2018

Jon,
Thanks for coming along and glad you got a great introduction to Alaskan bears in a beautiful wilderness setting. I am very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience with the Alaska Seaplanes pilot. We have addressed the issue directly with the pilot and I hope you'll get in touch with me so that I can learn more about it and apologize directly. Safe travels!

Reviewed June 4, 2018

I live in Juneau so am used to seeing and being around bears, but nothing like this. It’s one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had. I’ve been out there 3 times (late May and early June) and on every trip seen at least 5 bears and have had several pass me at a distance of only ~10 feet as I photographed them. The guides are outstanding (have gone out w/ Bjorn, Hannah & Mya, and each was professional, friendly, very knowledgeable, always put safety first and, most important, got us great opportunities to watch these beautiful animals doing their thing in their natural environment. It’s pricey, but unlike many things that are, these Tours are worth every penny ... an experience you’ll never forget!!!

Date of experience: May 2018
Dan K, General Manager at Pack Creek Bear Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2018

Thank you! Pack Creek always has the potential to be amazing, but for us the focus is on a small crew of outstanding guides to make the trip special. By focusing on small group tours, we are trying to make sure that every person has the chance to have a world-class experience. Also, it's more fun to go with a team instead of a crowd! Thanks for your enthusiasm and appreciation of these wild animals.

Reviewed November 19, 2017

Our entire two week trip to Alaska was centered around the Pack Creek Bear Tour

We booked it with Ken Leghorn (who has since passed) approximately a year in advance...This is suggested as slots are extremely limited

Our float plane trip with filled with the most amazing views

Our guide, Bjorn was perfect...Very knowledgeable and very much concerned about the safety of the group

A once in a lifetime journey made all the more memorable by Pack Creek Bear Tours

Awesome!

Date of experience: July 2017
Dan K, General Manager at Pack Creek Bear Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2018

Thanks for your review Randy!
I'll pass your compliments along to Bjorn.