“The Hanger Experience”

Ranked #4 of 146 Restaurants in Juneau
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is our fourth time to Juneau in four years and the third time to the Hanger on the Wharf. Last year we made the mistake of not going to the Hanger and ended up at a non discript bar, terrible service and were never to return. The Hanger is quite special as you can "hang out" on the outdoor deck and watch the goings on in the harbour - sea planes taking off and landing, the odd paddle boarder in the harbour and the collection of cruise ships and people. We were one of the latter. We come back to the Hanger because of the exceptional service, good food and ambiance, albeit bar like yet somewhat interesting because of the views. This time around for afternoon lunch I had the Hanger Club @ $11.95 and two Alaskan Amber Ales - ummm good! My wife had the Hanger Cobb Salad @ $12.95 which she found too big to finish. The salad was accompanied by a large glass of Sauvignon Blanc. All in all a do not miss the opportunity to "hang out" when in Juneau.

There are newer reviews for Hangar On The Wharf

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was told to go there for food because it was really great. I must have picky taste buds because I found the food really average. I had the salmon and I found the sauce too sweet, the rice was just plain, white rice and it did not look good - in fact, I make better rice than that. The steamed vegetables were over-steamed and were mushy. The service was hurried and not genuinely friendly. Yes, there were smiles, but they were not 'real' smiles, just because they have to.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We landed at the Hangar after a day of kayaking Mendenhall Glacier. It was perfect! Great spot to grab a beer and enjoy a bite to eat. I had halibut and chips- delicious! We were able to sit and relax, enjoy the view, and have a beer until it was time to move on to the next adventure... highly recommend.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

On a recent trip to Juneau this restaurant was recommended to us for lunch. I am very glad we took up the recommendation because it was a fantastic meal. My partner and I both had the salmon chowder to start and it was bar none the best chowder I've ever had - I'm still thinking about it! Our mains (fish+chips and salmon burger) were also delicious. The service was good and the restaurant is a bustling place with a nice view of the water and water traffic.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just stopped for a beer - great view from the bar. All the food is apparently fried, tho, and the place smelled like one big fryer.

Been to Hangar On The Wharf? Share your experiences!