“Great saloon!”

Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed May 21, 2013

During our cruise ship stop in Juneau we thought we would check out Red Dog Saloon. There was a wait to get in so we did not get to experience the food or atmosphere. It is like stepping back in time. Very authentic and everyone seemed to be having a great time.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

If you have some time to kill in Juneau, want to enjoy Alaskans on tap, and be entertained by a great one-man show, this is THE place to sit down for awhile. Yes, sit down! DO NOT stand on a stool to reach an unmarked spot to document your visit. Most places are not off-limits for writing your name(s) on the wall BUT apparently there are limits to what you can do to reach those areas. I would surely go back and stay on my backside!! Didn't quite have time to try the food. The time we spent there was FUN and should be experienced by any adult with a good sense of humor. Easily offended prudes (and children) should probably avoid - at least if the Indian is in action.

1  Thank Caryl_Whitlatch
Reviewed May 12, 2013

While visiting Juneau we stopped in at the Red Dog for lunch. We were the first ones there just before a cruise ship pulled in. We were greeted by a very vivacious young lady who was a great host. I tried a couple of "duck farts" and they were on the money. The food was very good and the price was not too bad. They invited us to come back after the entertainment started. We stopped in the gift shop and picked up a couple unique trinkets to take home. A good place to check out when you are in Juneau.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Had some VIPs in town for a convention and we went to the Red Dog Saloon for lunch. The food was tasty and plenty of it. I took half of my burger home. The rustic layout of the place is very enjoyable. I passed around my "sharpie" so my guests could sign "something. Turned out that another group from our convention also showed up for lunch and we took photos. I recommend the food, although it is the typical tourist prices. The gift shop also has lots of stuff.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

After catching the Red Dog on Drinking Made Easy we knew we needed to stop in before leaving Juneau. We each grabbed a beer and a duck fart and settled in for some people watching. When we first arrived it was a little quiet since the weather was poor and it was early. By the time we left there really wasn't any seating available.

The floor is covered in an awkward layer of sawdust and the bathrooms, walls, ceilings and seats were all covered in various notes and nuggets of knowledge from past visitors. I imagine you could spend hours reading them and still not see every single one.

By far the best part of the visit was the salmon dip we had as an appetizer and it was stellar! Something so outrageously simple, with big chunks of fresh salmon and some simple butterfly crackers. If you like salmon then you need to get this!

Been to Red Dog Saloon? Share your experiences!