“The best gourmet food in Juneau”
Review of The Rookery Cafe

The Rookery Cafe
Ranked #7 of 145 Restaurants in Juneau
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Rookery Cafe is an independent bistro, coffee shop and bakery located in the heart of downtown Juneau.We are proud to serve coffee from Stumptown Coffee Roasters, one of the hightest rated coffee roasters in the nation. We are their only wholesale account in the state of Alaska, and will make sure you get the best cup of coffee you have ever tasted. All our baked goods are prepared onsite, and we provide fresh rolls, danish, croissants, muffins, cookies, cupcakes, and more! Breakfast is served from 7 am to 10:30 am Monday - Friday, and 9 am to 12 on Saturday. Lunch is served from 11 AM - 3 PM, and we serve amazing had crafted burgers, sandwiches on our own focaccia, a variety of salads, and soups made from scratch daily. At 5 PM, Monday through Saturday night, the dinner menu is served. Reservations can be made for parties up to 16. High quality small and large plates, salads and snacks from our seasonal menu will please the most distinguished of pallets. Draft beer and wine by the glass, carafe or bottle is available daily. We are open Monday - Friday from 7 am to 9 pm, and Saturday from 9 am to 9 pm. You will always find something amazing at The Rookery Cafe!
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Food is amazing! Everything that our table tried/ordered on the two separate occasions was delicious. It is pricey and for the most part worth it, because I don't cook this way nor have the interest or patience to do so. The ingredients are fresh. However, $15.00 for one crab cake was a bit over the top.

Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Very good food and coffee. Friendly service. Great location in downtown Juneau. Popular with locals and that says a lot!!

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We had been meaning to go here for dinner for a long time but their schedule and wait times were always a deterent. We finally went and were just dissapointed. We enjoy their breakfast, but their dinner was pretty awful. I ordered the tomato rice bowl. It was a bowl of severly overcooked, virtually inedible rice completely drowned in soy sauce with some diced tomatoes, spinach and an egg thrown on top. My boyfriend had a plate of bland pasta with overcoomed, dry prawns and a teaspoon of crab (the crab was cooked properly). The people next to us leaned over at one point and quietly asked if our meals were as bad as theirs? We also didn't appreciate the claim to serve local foods and then serve their winter king ramen as a "winter king salmon sausage rolled with pork belly" - I was glad I asked the waiter about this dish before ordering it! We like to give places a second try, maybe this was an off night....

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Overall the food was ok. But a friend got a burger that was really rare and didnt say anything til the end of the meal. Then myself and my girlfriend checked it out and yeah.... it was pretty rare. I felt they should've comped my friend half her meal cost. We were tactful bit I guess not clear about it. Bottom line, people get sick from rare burger

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My fist time to Juneau and so TripAdvisor was my guide for dinner and the fact that I don't have a car on this trip kept me Downtown. I am so glad I found this place. The decor IS cafe...looks like a funky local coffee shop/cafe.
The menu immediately dispels any thoughts of "just a cafe." I am somewhat familiar with different foods but had never seen Tomato Bibimbap. Feeling adventurous, I gave it a try. After a few minutes of enjoying a local Alaskan APA, a HOT rice bowl was brought to my table. The bowl seared the contained rice to give it a crunchy somewhat roasted flavor. The chili sauce was incredible when mixed with the house-made kimchi and a lightly poached egg.
The staff was attentive and has a wonderful mix of friendliness and professional helpfulness.
As others have mentioned, the noise in the high-ceiling room is a distraction--especially since the sounds of the dish-room resonated throughout. I felt it added to the charm but I can see it as a drawback.

1  Thank BalchInnkeeper

Been to The Rookery Cafe? Share your experiences!