“Wonderful meal”

The Rookery Cafe
Ranked #6 of 145 Restaurants in Juneau
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Rookery Cafe is an independent bistro, coffee shop and bakery located in the heart of downtown Juneau.We are proud to serve coffee from Stumptown Coffee Roasters, one of the hightest rated coffee roasters in the nation. We are their only wholesale account in the state of Alaska, and will make sure you get the best cup of coffee you have ever tasted. All our baked goods are prepared onsite, and we provide fresh rolls, danish, croissants, muffins, cookies, cupcakes, and more! Breakfast is served from 7 am to 10:30 am Monday - Friday, and 9 am to 12 on Saturday. Lunch is served from 11 AM - 3 PM, and we serve amazing had crafted burgers, sandwiches on our own focaccia, a variety of salads, and soups made from scratch daily. At 5 PM, Monday through Saturday night, the dinner menu is served. Reservations can be made for parties up to 16. High quality small and large plates, salads and snacks from our seasonal menu will please the most distinguished of pallets. Draft beer and wine by the glass, carafe or bottle is available daily. We are open Monday - Friday from 7 am to 9 pm, and Saturday from 9 am to 9 pm. You will always find something amazing at The Rookery Cafe!
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just when we were starting to think that there was no good food to be had in Juneau... We discovered the Rookery! Let me start by saying that we were not so thrilled by the breakfast - we were reeled in by the Stumptown coffee and disappointed by the less than expert execution (our caps looked nothing like the picture as advertised and the pastries were dry and average). But being from San Francisco I admit we are spoiled in this area, so our standards might have been a little high there... However, our dinner was fantastic. I wish I had written this sooner to remember everything our whole group had, but I do remember my dish quite well - fresh scallops, crab and shrimp in a light curry sauce - which was absolutely delicious (and extra delicious with a side of rice). The place isn't terribly large, so if you're competing with cruise ships or locals on a weekend night, it probably makes sense to make a reservation. When we went, we dropped by the restaurant shortly after it opened for the evening and put our name down for a couple of hours later, which seemed to work just fine. The restaurant seemed full the rest of the evening. This restaurant is on the top of our list next time we visit (next to Tracy's crab shack, which is awesome).

Reviewed September 6, 2013

No reservations, closed Sunday night. Smallish and fills early. They have one large community table in the center and smaller tables around the edges. Our group of 6 arrived about 5:15pm and took 6 places at the common table, leaving about 6 of 16 open. Recipes are seasonal, and use unusual ingredients that are fun, unexpected. Lamb chops with a Moroccan spicing for example, unusual yellow and pink beet salad. Highly recommended for folks that want something well prepared and not the same old same old menu.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I ate here a while ago. It was inexpensive but, I got sick. They didn’t keep the food hot enough (40-140 danger Zone) I think it was because of the Chicken. I don’t eat out often but I was truly disappointed with this place. I hope the health inspector doesn’t have to shut them down.

TheRookeryCafe, Owner at The Rookery Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Hello, I am sorry to hear you felt you became ill after eating at The Rookery Cafe. I would love to know a little more about your visit, your review says you ate here in December of 2012, and we did not serve chicken then, so i am unsure what it is you might have eaten to make you ill.

We work closely with our local Food Safety and Sanitation office to ensure the quality of our work environment and the health of our customers, and will continue to be vigilant about the quality of the food that we serve and the manner in which it is served.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

A small and lively cafe, open for breakfast, lunch & dinner. It has an eclectic menu; the food is well prepared and reasonably priced. It is popular with locals year around, as well as summer tourists. Great place for coffee and a sweet. Full disclosure - I live in Juneau and this is one of my favorite places to go for a meal.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had a very nice dinner at the Rookery. My husband had Steamed Halibut Buns for an appetizer and a beautiful lamb chop entrée. I had a nice beet and goat cheese salad and the Syrian curried halibut. The food was tasty with a very nice presentation. The service is friendly....maybe a little slow. All in all, a great eclectic dining choice for Juneau. We would definitely go there again when in Juneau.

Been to The Rookery Cafe? Share your experiences!