“One of the best picks we made for excursions”

Gastineau Guiding Company - Juneau's Premier Guiding Company
Ranked #2 of 81 Tours in Juneau
More attraction details
Owner description: Gastineau Guiding has been offering small-group fully-guided wilderness experiences to Juneau travelers for over 20 years. Step into Alaska with a passionate and professional Certified Interpretive Guide. Our guiding mission is to provide each guest with a sense of wonder about this special place we call home. Our modern fleet of custom built safari vessels provides the best vantage for viewing and photographing marine wildlife - whale sightings are guaranteed. Join us on a specialty trip by land & sea tailored to your interests: Juneau's original - Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari; Tour of the Year - Alaska's Whales, Glaciers & Rainforest Trails; The science behind the scenery - Discover Alaska's Whales (Science Adventure). Guided rainforest hikes with glacier views and alpine treks for active visitors are also available. Custom Group Tours and Charters are also available for those traveling to Juneau independent of a cruise line.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was such a great tour! My sister and I took our first cruise to Alaska the last week of September, 2013. We were on a Princess cruise, and booked online before we embarked. I picked it based on the description of a small group and the boat designed for taking photos. I did not know that when I booked us on a "photo safari" that we would be getting such professional and welcome advice on how to actually take some great pictures.

Our guide, Hugh, was so great with everyone, no matter what kind of camera they were using. He was also very knowledgeable about the area, the flora and the fauna, and tried to share as much as he could in such a short time. I got some really great advice and took quite a few pictures that I'm really proud of, as well as getting information from someone who clearly loves where he lives and what he does.

The rain forest hike and the glacier were fun,and I got a couple of great shots thanks to Hugh. After the hike, there were even snacks and water waiting for us on the bus - a welcome surprise, but the best part of my day was getting out on that boat with Captain Jim and seeing the whales. We spotted plenty of other creatures as well - porpoises, Stellar sea lions, and a few bald eagles. The special boat makes a huge difference - I felt like I was right in the water and it was a blast shooting pictures - I shot over 300 that day!

I learned a great deal about my camera and even more about Alaska - Hugh and Jim are very passionate about what they do and that came through loud and clear. My sister and I had one of our two best days of the cruise on this excursion. Book it - you won't be disappointed!

Mary Lange and Sandra Taylor from Calgary

2  Thank MzzMolly
Write a ReviewReviews (2,455)
All reviews
in 47 reviews
"nature walk"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Taking a princess cruise tour to Alaska, you have a plethora of choices-this is the one to choose in Juneau! It was booked as a photography safari/whale watching and Mendenhall glacier, it was that and more. Gastineau, didn't over book the group, so our guide was able to help everyone, ( wish I could say that about more of our excursions)while in route to the harbor we were given tips on photography on a flat screen presentation, our guide Skip Gray was truly invested in everyone there getting the best photos with whatever level of camera you had. Took us out for some one on one basics before we actually got to the boat, ( helped us with settings on our cameras).
The captain of our boat was just as knowledgable about getting us out to actually see some whales, as Skip was about photography. We saw plenty of whales and both guides never failed an opportunity to allow the best opportunity to get some shots. Skip is a native Alaskan, and that helps make a big difference, more like someone genuinely sharing their love for the area then someone just there for the season.
Next we were off to Mendenhall, and it was great to get to walk in the woods and close to the glacier instead of just looking at it off of another vessel.
Excellent all the way around! Our guide Skip Gray was one of the best guides we had the entire trip. One of the tour groups of our trip we will remember if we should ever go back on our own.

2  Thank tea_tymes4
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Came in off a Norwegian cruise ship on 9/24/13 looking for some cool hikes. Decided to go with Gastineau (booked through cruise line) to see Mendenhall Glacier. Glad we did! Austin was the best guide I've ever had: incredibly knowledgeable (was identifying flora and fauna rapid fire, taught us about glaciation), good pace, and just a funny character overall. Never a shortage of stories from him! I would highly recommend Gastineau and Austin, thanks for such a great day!
Nick

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We took this tour while on a Princess cruise. It was an excellent tour! Our guide was Caitlin OMeally. Caitlin was extremely knowledgeable on the tour and could answer any question we put to her. She was also very knowledgeable about the plants, etc. on Mount Roberts. Touring Juneau and then taking the tram up Mount Roberts was a very exciting experience. Touring Mount Roberts and seeing original totem carvings was a learning experience and there were so many excellent photo opportunities. We were sorry when the tour ended. I would recommend this tour to anyone stopping in Juneau.

1  Thank Louise F
See more reviews
Reviewed September 28, 2013

One of the better tours I have been on for quite some time. Hugh Carey was our guide and he was very knowledgeable with the area. He has a great sense of humor too. I had never been on a combination tour of learning your camera and how to take great pictures along seeing the sites. Hugh was great in describing how to take great pictures, no matter what camera or mobile device you were using. He continually checked with us to ensure we were taking quality pictures. We went on to the whale watching and Hugh again explained the best way to get that perfect picture. A great experience in total - thanks Hugh

1  Thank Jim B

Travelers who viewed Gastineau Guiding Company - Juneau's Premier Guiding Company also viewed

Been to Gastineau Guiding Company - Juneau's Premier Guiding Company? Share your experiences!