“Awesome Day”

Weather Permitting Alaska - Whale Watching
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a marine mammal education company that has incredible whale watching trips. All of our trips are designed to fulfill your particular adventure desires. From four hours of whale watching, to a photo safari, to a two-week trek into the wilderness, we can make your dreams come true.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We had a very awesome day. With only six people on board, it was one of the most thrilling experiences I have ever had. We saw many Whales, and Sea Lions. Our crew Captain Bob and Harry were awesome. We got a late start due to the lateness of the cruise ship, but that didn't stop us from getting the full time. Everyone was flexible and it worked out great. We couldn't have asked for a better day. And the Brownies were great. :)

1  Thank Terryterp65

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our extended family of 9 had the boat/crew to ourselves. Captain Bob and First mate Harry were determined to make our trip a success. Both were extremely knowledgeable and their personal experiences in the area were fascinating. The tradition of eating the freshly baked brownies to spot the whales sure paid off. We spotted Humpback, one with a calf, Orcas, and at least 100 Sea Lions sunning on the shore. On the way home we also spotted Dolphins/Porpoise. All had a wonderful morning and the staff was very accommodating, detouring to the airport to drop off part of our group. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who will be in Juneau.

1  Thank Lynne T
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was wonderful. We saw so many whales. We were so close to them, right next to the boat swimming. Alaska is wonderful, I see why my best friend lived there such a long time.

2  Thank Joy9114
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Captain Greg's Weather Permitting Alaska whale watching tours come highly recommended. Weather Permitting's tours are offered on a small boat with a wide flat platform that is perfect for photographers. Sight lines are excellent with plenty of room to move about. A tiny platform for viewing at the stern of the boat is also accessible to guests. On the several excursions I booked with Captain Greg, there were no more than six guests on the boat at one time. While the boat can accommodate more passengers, Captain Greg prefers to keep the number of guests low to offer a more enjoyable whale and wildlife watching experience (ie, there is never a crowded elbow to elbow, fighting-for-a-position-at-the-rail experience on Captain Greg's vessel).

Humpback whales are frequently found foraging very close to Juneau so the sail to where the whales may be found is generally not long at all. One never knows what humpback whales will be up to at any given time but it is a fair bet to say one will see whales during one's time on the water with Captain Greg. Leave your expectations at the dock; you may see whale flukes of sounding humpbacks or if fortunate, spectacular humpback whale cooperative bubble netting and breaches but the best part of all is being near the whales. Other marine wildlife is often spotted as well (harbor seals, Steller sea lions draped on buoys, and if very fortunate, resident or transient killer whales). On clear blue sky days views of mountains and glaciers from the boat are superb plus Point Retreat Lighthouse on Admiralty Island offers Weather Permitting guests great scenic photo ops.

Frequently working with marine biologists,Captain Greg offers a wealth of knowledge about marine mammals that he happily imparts to his guests. A veteran of working with many different film crews and well known photographers, Captain Greg is courteous toward photographers and guests on board, doing his very best to offer the best angles, backgrounds and lighting for whale photography/viewing.

If one does not have their own transportation to the harbor, Captain Greg will pick up passengers from cruise ship docks or local hotels.

The only thing I would change about Weather Permitting Alaska's whale watches is the time spent on the water. When scheduling day trips to photograph whales, I prefer longer, full day whale watches since the more time one spends on the water the better the chance of observing incredible whale behavior. Shorter duration whale watches are the norm for all operators in Juneau. Additionally, since there are soooo many whale watch vessels as well as commercial fishing boats and sport fishing boats based out of Juneau, time spent with feeding whale groups or a serial breaching humpback whale has to be "shared" with other boats. This is not Weather Permitting Alaska's policy but simply the way commercial whale watching is done in Juneau's crowded waters. Still, the whale watching can be spectacular so if you want to sample Juneau's whales, give the fine folks at Weather Permitting Alaska a try.

Oh, I'd be remiss if I did not mention Mrs. Captain Greg's superb famous chocolate brownies. They are worth the price of the trip!

2  Thank Whalegeek
polar109, Owner at Weather Permitting Alaska - Whale Watching, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your very kind words. The whales enjoyed seeing you as much as you enjoyed seeing them. In regards to full day trips we can, and often do them. We even have had week long photographic expeditions which includes kayaks so you can get those eye level shots. We also have the option of having people like Flip Nicklin and Mark Kelley come with us and provide some photography tips. Flip works for National Geographic and is the best and most famous whale photographer in the world. Mark is the most famous photographer in Alaska and you probably have seen Mark's books on your cruise ship. We hope you come back and spend a day with us. I will tell the whales you really enjoyed meeting them. Thanks so much

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have to admit I am a southern belle and have to be treated with the utmost care. As soon as we boarded the uniquely designed boat with its indoor seating, I knew my husband and I were in for a treat. And, quite literally we were. Our captain's exceptional wife joined us with a tray of her locally famous Belgian chocolate brownies, and we set sail. The southern belle gained her sea legs and was soon out on the outer deck with the rest of the small group of adventurers. I was like an excited kindergartener when I spotted the first "tail" of the day. This was the heart of the tour: our captain (a former engineer was so very skilled) that he maneuvered us to sighting after sighting of these majestic creatures. It went deep with me, this being akin to other forms of nature. My husband and I were thrilled that, of all the excursions available, we went with Weather Permitting!

6  Thank Toran I