“beautiful view if not foggy”

Goldbelt Mount Roberts Tramway
and up
Juneau Whale-Watching Cruise and Brewery Tour
Ranked #12 of 90 things to do in Juneau
More attraction details
Owner description: A six-minute ride up a 1,670-foot mountain slope.
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is a quick and easy spot to view the area. I think it is over priced but they have you captive..once at the top you do see forever and it is lovely. There are some nice trails to walk and you able to hike all the way back down the mountain if you are so inclined. If you plan to do that go early as it takes a while!

5  Thank hortonms

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Great view of the area, plus got to see a real bald eagle - up close and personal - at the top. It was in a rehabilitation setting. Also had a nice meal at the top of the mountain.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Originally, out plan for Juneau was to take the Blue Bus to Mendenhall Glacier and walk some of the trails. When we arrived, we decided we'd just walk around town for a while and maybe get some lunch. I caught a cold (yep, 90 degrees in Alaska and I catch a cold) so I wanted to find a drug store to stock up on cold meds. After doing that, we were all hungry and it was a beautiful sunny day, so we decided to take the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts and eat lunch there. This is one place where it is definitely worth using a coupon. The cost is normally $31/person, but the coupon books had it for buy 1 get 1 free! For the 5 of us, it brought the cost down to just under $19/person.

There was very little wait for the tram and then we all loaded and went to the top. We got up there and went straight to the full service restaurant. I'm so glad we did because the place filled up quickly after we got there. We were seated right by a window so we could look down at our ship and it felt like we were sitting in the trees. As we were looking out the window, several bald eagles flew right by the window! So close we really could see their eyes! OMG they were so graceful and so beautiful!

After lunch, we browsed the gift shop a little bit and then went out to meet Lady Baltimore - a bald eagle that was rehabilitated at the Eagle Sanctuary right there at the top of Mt. Roberts. She was on display in an enclosure where the front is open and you were so close you could almost touch her. The ranger explained that Lady Baltimore was severely injured with a broken wing and blind in one eye (can't remember how it happened though) and she was brought to the rehab center. She will never be released in the wild because of the broken wing that never healed correctly enough for her to fly and because of the blind eye. We never walked down to the rehab center though to see any other eagles.

There is a trail up at the top that you can walk around. My husband walked the trail and there were still areas that had snow late in June. The rangers also cautioned to be on the lookout for bears and where you step as it could be slippery because of the still melting snow.

We then took the tram back down and went to relax aboard the ship. All in all a very relaxing day.

Tips: if it is cloudy, don't waste your money taking the tram to the top as you won't be able to see the incredible view. Also, don't prepurchase your tickets through the cruise line - they aren't cheaper, you can't use a coupon and you'd end up wasting money if the weather is bad. Buy your tickets direct from the tramway when you get to Juneau if you want to go to the top - and don't forget the coupon in either the Northern Lights or TourSaver book. We actually "split" up our group so that we could use 2 coupons as I don't think they let you combine them for a group of 5 like we had. Also - my son (age 13 at the time) was considered an adult for fare purposes. I'm not sure what the age cut-off is for the child rate.

36  Thank Michelle F
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Juneau Tramway is worth a ride if you don't mind the price tag. I was lucky to be living in Juneau at the time I rode it, and went on "locals day." So, I paid a fraction of the price. The only problem was the restaurant at the top was closed, and I was looking forward to sitting, enjoying a meal and looking out over Juneau and Gastineau Channel. We were able to purchase some great souvenirs at half off due to the end of the season sale. The best bet would be to ride it in the summer months and hike on one of the trails to the top of the mountain for unprecedented views of the area.

4  Thank XplorMor
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband was a little hesitant to fork out the cost of the tram. It really ran us $31 each. Seemed a steep price to pay just for a tram ride.

However, there was more to do than just ride the tram to the top of the mountain. (We happened to see several eagles soaring up close and personal to the tram on both the ride up and down, which was awe-inspiring and for me was almost worth the price of admission right there!)

There's a small theater at the top where they showed a wonderful short film about the native people, the Tlingits. It explained about the Raven Clans and Eagle Clans and how their unions helped keep nature's balance. It was wonderfully informative and entertaining. Really gave me an appreciation for their culture, and the history of early Juneau.

Then we discovered the trails. We only did the Alpine Loop Trail with a slight detour to Father Brown's Cross. The trail was moderate. I'd recommend sturdy walking shoes at least, but you don't need full blown hiking boots. There's also the Mount Robert's Trail. We were told there was still ice and snow blocking part of it and it wasn't really open. That might be a more challenging trail that would require better gear. You can also walk up the trail from the town of Juneau. They told us that was steep terrain, but we didn't do it.

My best tips would be to go as early as you can. If you're on a cruise ship, make this one of your first stops. IF the weather is good. The first time we were in Juneau a few years back it was raining and foggy. The tram was running but locals told us to save our money. We wouldn't be able to see anything and it wasn't conducive weather for hiking.

However, this second time when we visited the weather started off clear as a bell and the views were worth it. It started to cloud up as we were finishing up the trail (but was still clear enough to see), but there were tons more people back near the Nature Center. When we first got there it was nice and relaxed and no crowds anywhere. That quickly changed.

Oh, and very nice server in the restaurant saw us with cameras in hand and said, "You want to see something stunning? I'm not supposed to do this, but we're not serving people out here right now so come here." She led us to the back patio and let us admire the view as long as we wanted. Loved it!

7  Thank HauntJauntsGrl