“Great view, snow limited access to mountain area”

Goldbelt Mount Roberts Tramway
and up
Adventure Hike Along Mendenhall Glacier
Ranked #12 of 90 things to do in Juneau
More attraction details
Owner description: A six-minute ride up a 1,670-foot mountain slope.
Reviewed January 21, 2013

There are great views up there! Unfortunately, we went in May and there was a lot of snow at the top. I didn't bring my snow shoes so my access to the area was very limited. Still, while enjoying the visitors center, a local family played a very entertaining music concert for no charge. We really enjoyed that show.

5  Thank Karen S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,214)

Reviewed January 5, 2013

While in Juneau on our cruise we walked through the town and found that we had plenty of free time so wedecided to take the tram up the mountain. I loved the views while going up and down. Walking around at the top was okay, really not too much to see or do. Some good photo ops.

4  Thank Floydova
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Mount Roberts Tramway was my favorite Juneau attraction. I loved the ride up to the top of the mountain aboard the tram which has a very steep ascent. The view from the top is stupendous, but I also enjoyed the film in the Chilkat Theater, which explains a lot about the Native American Tlingit culture and history.I didn't get to eat in the the Timberline Bar and Grill at the top but got to meet the chef who seemed very knowledgable about food.
The ascent goes 1`800 feet above the cruise ship docks, but visitors can continue to the very top by taking one of several hiking trails h=that start just a few yards from the Visitor Center, which also has a gift shop.

5  Thank travelfreak31
Reviewed December 16, 2012

To be honest, I wasn't sure about writing a review about a cable car. There's not much it can do except go up and down.

It's not cheap but if your using it to get to the top to do the all day hiking, I guess it's a matter of perspective.

There's a restuarant, gift shop and a rather sorry looking bald eagle at the top. It's then the gateway to the hikes.

One item of note was how tightly they pack in the car for the journeys up or down. A couple of kids near us were quite scared at one stage.

The journey only takes 7-8 minutes so it's not a particularly long ride.

The sign forbidding you bringing your bears or firearms onboard was amusing.

4  Thank avatar777
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just not much to do at the top. Restaurant always leaves me wishing for better food, such a great location to have plain fair, why not a little fancier supper meal and expanded wine menu.

6  Thank dcollinsak