“While your there...”

and up
Adventure Hike Along Mendenhall Glacier
Ranked #12 of 90 things to do in Juneau
More attraction details
Owner description: A six-minute ride up a 1,670-foot mountain slope.
Reviewed December 16, 2012

To be honest, I wasn't sure about writing a review about a cable car. There's not much it can do except go up and down.

It's not cheap but if your using it to get to the top to do the all day hiking, I guess it's a matter of perspective.

There's a restuarant, gift shop and a rather sorry looking bald eagle at the top. It's then the gateway to the hikes.

One item of note was how tightly they pack in the car for the journeys up or down. A couple of kids near us were quite scared at one stage.

The journey only takes 7-8 minutes so it's not a particularly long ride.

The sign forbidding you bringing your bears or firearms onboard was amusing.

4  Thank avatar777
Write a ReviewReviews (2,214)

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just not much to do at the top. Restaurant always leaves me wishing for better food, such a great location to have plain fair, why not a little fancier supper meal and expanded wine menu.

6  Thank dcollinsak
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We've taken numerous cruises to Alaska and this year we finally had the opportunity to ride the tram up Mount Roberts. A wheelchair was very kindly offered for my disabled husband and we were able to board the tram first which is always a concern as they pack people in tight. Once at the top there is an amazing view of the Chilkat Mountains to the north, Gastineau Channel to the south, west to Douglas Island, and east into Silver Bow Basin. The hiking trails are not accessible so my husband browsed the Nature Center or gift shop while I ventured off to get some scenic photos. I only walked a small portion of the trail. If you are a hiker, there are trails galore and you'll get your exercise. There are bear viewing platforms along the way. Didn't spot any bears, but did spot white mountain goats. Your ticket gets you all day unlimited rides on the tram. Definitely worth doing at least once!

5  Thank lanningslee
Reviewed November 22, 2012

It was pretty much the same every time you go up. Pretty expensive to go up then in addition if you want to eat up there, is an additional expense. Like I said for out of town guests, first time locals and hikers it is worth it for those things,

1  Thank Vi M
Reviewed November 12, 2012

In town aboard Celebrity's Infinity and stopped in Juneau for several adventures. I don't really like trams or ski lifts or other types of mountain inclines, but going on the tramway was totally worth it. The ride to the top is pretty quick; while going up I couldn't quite look out the windows, once at the top, it was breathtaking. My family did the entire hike to the top, took more photos, found the geocaches hidden at the top, and spent time in the gift shop and environmental education stores. The ride down for me was much better and enjoyed the view. The ride is quite smooth and quick. Well worth the visit; be sure to have enough time for the hike to the top. I actually visited in September, 2010, but didn't have that date selection for this review.

4  Thank Pam S