“Kayaking Calm Alaska Waters”

Above & Beyond Alaska
Book In Advance
More Info
$145.94*
and up
Juneau Shore Excursion: Tongass Wildlife Kayaking Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A huge variety of both day and overnight trips offered throughout the Juneau area. Including guided glacier trekking, ice climbing, wildlife viewing, and sea kayaking. We cater to all ages and abilities. Providing quality, small groups, and off the beaten path experiences. We are the top rated wilderness guide service in the area and welcome large groups, photographers, and production companies. We offer custom trips too! Book with the company who has worked with the Travel Channel, BBC, Nat Geo, Good Morning America, the Today Show, and so many more! We also operate the Alaska Boat & Kayak Center, Juneau's only kayak rental and retail shop located in Auke Bay boat harbor.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Kayaking Calm Alaska Waters”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I went kayaking with Abaove a& Beyond Alaska, departing from Statter Harbor in Auke Bay, Alaska, north of Juneau. It was a spectacular sunny day with calm waters. We saw eagles and other birds, whales and even a deer swimming in the channel between islands. Definitely a worthwhile experience!

FYI I took a disposable underwater camera with me for shooting pics so not to worry if wet or lost.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank XplorMor

New Haven, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hike to Ice Cave”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

August 2013 - We thoroughly enjoyed our ten hour trail, glacier, and ice cave hike with our ABA guides, Brigit and Chelsea. The hike through the switchback was very doable for us. We are about a level 7/10 level hikers. There was one challenging rock climb, but all we had to do was slow down a bit and watch our footing and the entire group made it with no problems. The hike on the ice was no more than 1/2 mile with our crampons and there were no dangerous areas along that trek. After visiting the cave, Brigit and Chelsea asked if any of us were interested in being belayed down a ten foot diameter and 100 foot drop moulin into the cave. We jumped, a bit literally, at the chance and snapped the great photos attached. Hats off to ABA and especially Brigit and Chelsea for a very memorable, enjoyable, and safe day.

1 Thank ron o
Trenton, Maine
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Ultimate Survival Alaska!”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to work with Sean and some of his staff while we were filming National Geographics 'Ultimate Survival Alaska' and we traveled and filmed in several venues around Juneau... and the NG Production Company hooked up with Above & Beyond Alaska to assist in the filming and logistics... So I got to spend a fair amount of time with these wonderful guides and I would highly recommend Sean & crew to take you on any of their adventures! Sean's staff was SO knowledgeable about the area and his team was proficient, professional and a joy to be around! I spend a fair bit of time in Alaska but never did anything like this, I was eager to learn..so I was a sponge to their expertise and EXPERTS they are! I now consider Sean a friend and hope to make it back for another adventure.. I CAN'T WAIT! You went Above & Beyond! (get it) THANKS SEAN!!!!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Timber17
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Private Glacier Hike”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I (both 24) did the private Mendenhall Glacier Trek the last week in August 2013. We were picked up on-time by our guide (Bjorn) at the cruise ship terminal. It was a short trip to the start of the trail. As others have said, the first mile of the trail is well maintained and then you start off the beaten path. I was worried about the difficulty of this hike, but we managed just fine. It was certainly not for the faint of heart, but our guide gave tips or help whenever needed. We are glad that we booked the private tour so that we could go at our own pace. There was a group going that day as well and we seemed to be about 1.5 hours ahead of them in terms of pace.

Since we were on the private tour, we were able to try ice climbing and visit the ice cave. I wasn't up for the ice climbing (looking over the edge was enough for me!), but I took pictures while my boyfriend participated. After this, we headed down to the ice cave. It was amazing; the pictures don't do it justice! Be forewarned tough, our guide told us that because of warm weather, people on tours earlier in the summer did not get to experience it. We felt very lucky we were able to.

Overall, Above & Beyond Alaska did a great job with the tour. We felt safe, knowing that we had a knowledgeable guide, proper equipment (we did see people on the glacier without crampons, crazy!), and plenty of snacks. Highlight of our entire cruise!

3 Thank BostonTraveler0729
philly
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very nice trip and guide”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The trip is very intensive and not for the fainted heart. Highly recommended, but not suggested for any seniors as to my experience. We have a senior in our group, he was barely making the whole trip without the help from the nice guide. We were able to see the ice cave which is definitely a highlight for our Alaska trip.

1 Thank C F