Open today: 8:00 AM - 7:30 PM

from $103.95
from $198.45
from $152.25
6,966 results
All reviews nugget falls mendenhall glacier city bus blue bus global warming short film salmon cruise ship beautiful waterfall an easy walk hiking trails mile hike blue ice an excursion black beans downtown juneau helicopter ride
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went to Juneau first week of Sept with a cruise. The weather was gorgeous, T-shirt weather!
First tip - wear those ultra light down coats, the park faces the glacier and wind comes from glacier direction. So the park is much cooler than the town center.

Transportation: I find it very easy to use blue bus, $45+tax, drops you off at visitors center, and there are buses each hour to take you back to town.

A 2.5 hours stay can cover short walk to phot point, longer but easy trail to the fall, and 20 min movie at the center.

Btw, few steps away from blue bus drop off, there’s a short walk in the woods which you can see salmon.

Highly recommend to go while you are in Juneau.

1  Thank Worldtraveller2005
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The staff were knowledgeable about the area. My favorite part was the viewing area with all the windows. My tour company didn't give enough time to see much. I would not have even noticed Nugget Falls had I not gone in the visitor center. I would have loved more time to explore all of the exhibits and gift shop. Take and make the time.
There is a ramp, although steep at points. There is an elevator in the visitor center.

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank Travelrn995
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Mendenhall Glacier is a stunning feat of nature and one of the best attractions near Juneau. There is an easy walk to a lookout that offers a gorgeous view of the glacier and surrounding lake, and a longer hike that leads to a waterfall and a closer view of the glacier - don't start this hike later in the day as it will likely take longer than expected.

Don't miss the boardwalk that follows a section of a creek where salmon spawn (late September to early November) and bears are frequently spotted. We saw two cubs in a tree and the mother fishing about eight feet from us. Because we were above the creek and behind mesh wiring we felt very safe - she didn't even seem to notice us. The rangers are also very present, making sure people stay safe, while offering education on the bear's activity.

1  Thank IntrepidTravelTribe
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The glacier was beautiful but next time I would take a kayak out to it to see it better. I really thought you could walk up to its base but it has retreated too much for that. But the short hike to the waterfall was so worth it. We stood in the rocks at the base of the waterfall and splashed in the shallow water on this pretty beach. This was a pleasant surprise to us. Don't just stop at the pretty visitor center. Take the hike. And it is educational, showing you by year how much the glacier has receded. Hurry while you can. Well worth the visit.

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank Dixie509
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great visit and the visitors center is very informative. We didn't have much time there as we were part of a tour, but the time we did have was well spent.