“Must see visit to Mendenhall Glacier”

Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center
Juneau Shore Excursion: Mendenhall Glacier, Whale-Watching Cruise and City Tour
Ranked #2 of 92 things to do in Juneau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Mendenhall Glacier is easily accessible via roads from the local airport, cruise ship terminal and state ferry terminal. Our facility and lands are managed by the federal government through the United States Forest Service. Federal passes are accepted and sold s well as daily passes. There is a visitor center with a theater showing a 15-minute film on Mendenhall Glacier, a bookstore operated by nonprofit organization Discovery Southeast, and exhibits on wildlife, history, and glacial and geological changes. Rangers provide talks at various indoor and outdoor sites in summer. Open hours in summer are daily 8am to 7:30pm. Due to wildlife and bears, no food is allowed outdoors from April-November. There is no beverage or food service available to prevent bears from becoming food-conditioned. Nearby Steep Creek is the spawning stream for wild sockeye salmon from late July through early September. Later in the fall, a run of coho salmon spawn in the creek. Porcupines can be seen foraging on leaves in deciduous trees. Beavers are visible early in the morning and in the evening. Learn about Alaska and the natural world around the glacier and lake. Enjoy a one-hour hike to 400-foot-tall Nugget Falls. Other trails lead to different habitats. In winter, the visitor center is open Friday-Sunday from 10am to 4pm and closed on federal holidays.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We visited the Mendenhall Glacier while in Juneau for the day on a recent Alaska cruise. It is truly a beautiful place and well worth a visit. There is a short hike to get a better view of the glacier and waterfall. The Park Rangers were friendly and informative and we also enjoyed the Nature Center. Overall, a great day in Juneau.

2  Thank time2travel916
Write a ReviewReviews (6,114)
All reviews
in 103 reviews
"blue ice"
in 77 reviews

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had a rental car and drove here. One of few glaciers left you can almost walk right up to. A few people but worth the visit

3  Thank BrisbaneNewDad
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I took the Glacier shuttle out here from near the cruise dock for $16 round trip. What a deal! You walk up to the visitor center where you can see the Glacier from right there. Last year I thought I would splurge on a helicopter excursion - for me a 2 for 1 deal is still a splurge. Miserable and pricey fail was the helicopter excursion. This was so much better, and inexpensive. Live and learn, if I ever come back to juneau I won't think twice about what my plans for the day are. I went up to the visitor center, admission is only $3 and well worth it. A friendly park ranger "Steve" gave me a talk on how glaciers are formed. I would have watched the film but I didn't have time for both the film & a walk on the trail to the waterfall, so I chose the walk. It is listed as a 45 minute walk, for 1 3/4 miles round trip. I walked quickly as I could but with stops for pictures & to enjoy the sights it took me a full hour. I think for those who are mobility challenged it could take quite a while longer so allow time so you don't miss the last shuttle back.
There were fun exhibits in the visitor center, a canister of snow as well as a block of ice labelled "200 year old ice / Please Touch." There was a small gift shop as well. No bottled water available for purchase here, probably for environmental reasons. But I would have benefited from having some water during the walk to the waterfall, especially since I had to hurry due to time constraints. So if water is important to you, have a bottle you can fill at the fountain or bring your own bottled water with you.

2  Thank tink360
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Our first cruise stop is Juneau. My husband opted to rent a car so we can manage our own time to explore. I am very please that he rented a car because it gave us more time to take pictures and savor our Alaskan moment in Juneau. From Juneau Port, it took us 30 minutes to go to Mendenhall Glacier. It's very easy get there. The sight of Mendenhall is amazing! The view of the mountains is beautiful. The trail is long but the bonus part is, you get to see the nuggets Falls. Overall the experience is overwhelming. I want to capture everything.

1  Thank Abigail O