“A total blast that goes by too quickly”

Icy Strait Point ZipRider
More attraction details
Owner description: Alaskan sized adventure! This is it, the world's largest zip-line: 5,330 feet long, 1,300 foot vertical drop, 60 mph maximum speed, 300 feet highest point from ground, 1.5 minute ride time! If you are looking for true adventure then the ZipRider is for you. Unlike anything you've seen before the ZipRider cable ride at Icy Strait Point is truly a once in a lifetime experience. Your adventure begins when you board your bus for the ride to the top the mountain. Your driver will narrate as you pass through the village of Hoonah and then up the mountainside. Once on top you will take a short walk to the launching area. At 1,300 feet above sea level you will sit into a special harness seat and await your launch. Six guests launch at once, and it is a race to the bottom! 3, 2, 1 and you're off, accelerating to 60 mph as you pass 300 feet above the treetops. If your eyes are still open you will see sweeping views of Port Frederick, Icy Strait and your cruise ship far below. Your ZipRide concludes with a break-activated landing on the beach back at Icy Strait Point.Participants must be between 90 and 275 pounds and be comfortable with heights. This ride is not recommended for individuals with back or neck problems, or who are pregnant. Photos will be available at the end of your ride!
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived on the Grand Princess last week and booked the ATV/Zip combo. The ATV was fun but not worth the $ in our opinion. The zip line had a line >1 hour once we arrived by bus at the top. Gives you a chance to get really nervous :-) The operators were very nice and it actually was not scary getting loaded into the seats the the doors blast open and you are flying! It felt like 15 seconds and we were down. I know it was more but for the $ and time ... not sure, You are a captive audience, really not much else to do there. In the end I am glad we did the zip, skip the ATV

1  Thank AWaileaWahine
"afraid of heights"
in 9 reviews
"amazing ride"
in 5 reviews
"the empire state building"
"fast fun"
"atv ride"
"take pictures"
"an amazing experience"

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Loved loved loved this zip rider. My middle aged sisters and I and our 86 year old dad were on a cruise that included Icy Strait Point (Hoonah). We went on the Zip Rider - largest in the world - and all of us loved it so much that we would have ridden it again if we'd had time! Even my sister who is scared of heights loved it. If you arrive in Hoonah by cruise ship, you are picked up right by the dock by a shuttle bus. We had a great driver, Jimmy Dalton, who was funny and shared lots of stories of the area plus pictures from the building of the Zip Rider and his personal photos. We considered the bus ride a bonus adventure. Once we got to the top of the mountain (1,530' above sea level) we walked down a gravel road for about 5 minutes (slightly steep) to the Zip Rider. Six people can zip line at the same time. The view from the top is amazing. Once you're in the harness seat (easy), and the gate opens, off you go. The ride is so smooth you don't really notice the height. It is only 90 seconds but it feels longer which is good! When we got to the bottom, we were all smiling - including the sister who is afraid of heights. They take photos of you as you're coming down and when you get to the bottom that you can purchase if you wish. The whole experience was wonderful from beginning to end. As a bonus, there is a restaurant at the dock that sells halibut fish and chips (delicious) and salmon chowder (excellent).

2  Thank Laura B
Reviewed July 8, 2013

What an experience,went down the Zipline whilst ashore from Cruise ship,it takes 45 minutes in a bus to the top,90 seconds to come down @ 60 miles an hour.
As an active 65 year old,this was a thrilling ride with spectacular views,the safety crew were informative,reassuring and very friendly,I have been down numerous Zip lines,this was simply the best.
My 60 year cousin and I visited this attraction whilst our wives visited the gift shops etc in Icy Strait Point,we all finished the visit with a couple of cold beers,highly recommended.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We started with an ATV adventure with a guide, Thomas. We really enjoyed this because Thomas was so knowledgeable and passionate about his home and culture. We learned so much about the island, culture, and wildlife. Thank you, Thomas! Lastly we went to the zip rider. I was apprehensive but recommend it highly. My husband and I were sorry we didn't do it again. Exhilarating!

1  Thank wellsje48
See more reviews
Reviewed July 7, 2013

First to note if you are considering doing this, is that there is a weight limit. You must weigh at least 90 lbs. and no more than 250 (I think that was the max.). We took a bus ride up to the zipline and had some great views on the way. I was pretty nervous, but the seat you are buckled into feels sturdy and secure. The young worker assured me that there would be no jolt as we began and that it was a smooth ride all the way down. It was a hoot! I even kept my eyes open the whole time (I tend to close them on rollercoasters).
If you think you might be too old for this, there was a grandmother of at least 70 with her grandchildren on our bus ride up. My teenage sons and I thought it was great!

1  Thank hipster4