Review Highlights
My Favorite Port!

Beautiful, quaint little town with plenty to see and do while in port. Was definitely my favorite... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
obelisk7
Palmer, Alaska
Fun tourist place with kids

It was fun to see local people dressed up with their traditional costumes and playing drums to... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
shiho b
Vancouver, Canada
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Hoonah
from $117.45
from $180.00
from $73.13
1,088 results
All reviews zip line salmon cruise ship nature trail whale watching icy strait cannery museum bloody mary small town port stop bald eagles crab shack atv tour totem poles tram ride real alaska tribal dance
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This little Museum is great and has a lot of various types of tools and materials along with the machinery that used in the past.
It also tells you have they were used to get the fish and can them etc.
It is defiantly worth a visit if ever you are there.

Date of experience: September 2013
1  Thank CaptHarry1
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Icy Strait Point, Hoonah in Alaska, proposes to have the longest and highest ZIP WIRE in the world.
Well it certainly is long, fast and high, with some 5,330 high with a 1,300 vertical drop, and takes around 90 seconds
Have done the one in Labadee, Haiti, Icy Strait Point is defiantly longer and higher with about the same speed 60 mph
But the first drop is amazing, you are put in a harness which is permanently connected to the Zip Wire Line (light a cloth seat) you put your feet up against the panel in front of you and wait!
they count down from only 3 then the panel you have you feet on 'OPENS" quickly, and your off.
It is stunning and the sites are something else to see, my Grandson who is only 12 wanted to do it again and again. well so did I.
If we go back to when you start from the beginning, you first board a coach with takes around 40-45 mins to reach the top of the mountain, but the driver give you a commentary all the way up and the views are stunning., he stops a couple times and explains more, that in its self is great.
When you get to the top there is a little walk down to the loading area. (there are Toilets here)
you wait and 5 line up at once and all go at the same time. Brilliant.
It costs around $135 each
I will defiantly do it again if I'm back in Icy Strait Point

Date of experience: September 2013
8  Thank CaptHarry1
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We sailed in at 4.30pm as it doesn't get dark till 11pm we spent 5 hrs on Icy point .walking around looking at snow cap mountains,we saw from the shore 2 whales so close. Then we walked into the forest walk to see 2 bald face eagles. This is all timber buildings very old fashioned . It's great we had lunch on the dock with fresh salmon and chips washed down by Alaskian beer bliss . No rat race here

Date of experience: May 2013
2  Thank Rox H
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I grew up with a sardine factory in my home town. We have almost nothing left of it and nothing left of it's history. I see the history of the Salmon cannery in Hoonah and am very glad to see the machinery, the pictures, the culture of salmon and those who worked there was exceptionally well displayed. Kudos!

Date of experience: June 2013
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were part of a cruise and one of our stops was Hoonah, and Icy Strait. My wife and I , and I expect another 2000 people, are really glad we stopped there. We were blessed with a crystal clear day and there were incredible views for about a 360 degrees. We took the shuttle bus into the town and enjoyed meeting a few folks, seeing eagles, just walking around, and a great lunch. All the views were astounding. 800 or so people who call Hoonah home are pretty fortunate and I realize we weren't there in the winter but the beauty is special as is Icy Strait and Hoonah.

Date of experience: June 2013