“Step Back in Time With A Quaint Tradition” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Hoonah Whale Watch Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Icy Strait Point is located in the town of Hoonah on Chichagof Island. We are a quick 20 minute flight from Juneau, Alaska. Icy Strait Point is the only private cruise ship destination in Alaska; we offer over 20 different shore excursions including ATVs, biking, kayaking, nature tours, the best whale watching in Alaska and the world's largest and highest zipline ride. We also have 3 waterfront restaurants with breathtaking views offering some of the freshest seafood you will ever eat. Don't miss our unique shopping center, a free museum, walking trails, etc.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
North Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Step Back in Time With A Quaint Tradition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stepping off the Cruise ship onto the covered pier I was excited to see what would await us as we made our way up toward the gentleman waiting to greet up. I almost giggled as it felt like a moment from the, 'Amazing Race' as we were welcomed to Alaska.

Cruising to Alaska has long been on my bucket list and this did not disappoint. My husband and I were each given a small envelope containing an even smaller piece of cedar. Printed on the envelope was the narrative about the tribe's fire and how each of us were encouraged to do our part to join in the tradition and keep their family fire burning. I can't tell you how much that tradition touched the writer in me.

This stop more than any other ended up being my favorite. This was more a quaint Alaskan Hamlet that time had basically ignored. Yes, there were many souvenirs to buy that obviously weren't made there, there was a marked difference. Here you could sit on the ship and watch the whales.

Every person in every store, every place we went were very nice. That wasn't so in other places we visited. Some places things were so commercial, locals we were angry.

This is a great place to visit!

Visited August 2013
6 Thank Terri N

• Korean first
Gibraltar
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Icy Strait Point, Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

This little Museum is great and has a lot of various types of tools and materials along with the machinery that used in the past.
It also tells you have they were used to get the fish and can them etc.
It is defiantly worth a visit if ever you are there.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank CaptHarry1
Gibraltar
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Longest ZIP WIRE in 'Icy Strait Point', Hoonah, Alaska”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Icy Strait Point, Hoonah in Alaska, proposes to have the longest and highest ZIP WIRE in the world.
Well it certainly is long, fast and high, with some 5,330 high with a 1,300 vertical drop, and takes around 90 seconds
Have done the one in Labadee, Haiti, Icy Strait Point is defiantly longer and higher with about the same speed 60 mph
But the first drop is amazing, you are put in a harness which is permanently connected to the Zip Wire Line (light a cloth seat) you put your feet up against the panel in front of you and wait!
they count down from only 3 then the panel you have you feet on 'OPENS" quickly, and your off.
It is stunning and the sites are something else to see, my Grandson who is only 12 wanted to do it again and again. well so did I.
If we go back to when you start from the beginning, you first board a coach with takes around 40-45 mins to reach the top of the mountain, but the driver give you a commentary all the way up and the views are stunning., he stops a couple times and explains more, that in its self is great.
When you get to the top there is a little walk down to the loading area. (there are Toilets here)
you wait and 5 line up at once and all go at the same time. Brilliant.
It costs around $135 each

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Quietness and bliss”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

We sailed in at 4.30pm as it doesn't get dark till 11pm we spent 5 hrs on Icy point .walking around looking at snow cap mountains,we saw from the shore 2 whales so close. Then we walked into the forest walk to see 2 bald face eagles. This is all timber buildings very old fashioned . It's great we had lunch on the dock with fresh salmon and chips washed down by Alaskian beer bliss . No rat race here

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Rox H
Southwest Harbor, Maine
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Well presented History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I grew up with a sardine factory in my home town. We have almost nothing left of it and nothing left of it's history. I see the history of the Salmon cannery in Hoonah and am very glad to see the machinery, the pictures, the culture of salmon and those who worked there was exceptionally well displayed. Kudos!

Visited June 2013

Been to Icy Strait Point? Share your experiences!