“Absolutely Awesome!!”

Icy Strait Whale Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Icy Strait Whale adventures is located near Icy Strait Point in the town of Hoonah. We offer guaranteed whale watching on our brand new 2014, 40' North River Custom Built boat. Our spacious boat is very comfortable with heated cabin, restroom and large windows for viewing whales and wildlife. Captain Duane will delight in sharing the majestic beauty that is Alaska on this 3 hour whale watching tour which can take you along the coastline to either Point Adolphus, Icy Strait or up Neka Bay.
Hot Springs, Arkansas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Absolutely Awesome!!”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

When I booked a tour for our family of 5 (my husband, 3 adult children and me), there were no reviews available for Icy Strait Whale Adventures, so I was a little nervous. However, after speaking with Captain Colleen on the phone, I decided to go ahead and book. So glad I did! Since there were 5 of us, we had the boat to ourselves. Capt. Colleen was so friendly and was just as excited as we were when we began to see whales all around us. She made sure we got lots of great photos and gave us a lot of information about the area and the whales. Didn't know whales snored!! She even provided soft drinks and delicious salmon dip. I highly recommend Capt. Colleen and Icy Strait Whale Adventures for the thrill of a lifetime!

3 Thank catlady912

nordsjælland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Just Amazing”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had the most amazing whale watching trip with Colleen at Icy Strait .
I know we were very lucky, the weather was perfect , sea totally calm, and the whales (and sealions) where in a playfull mood. Collen knew exactly where the whales would be , and expertly(and respecfully) motored out to them .
We saw whales throughout the whole trip, but towards the end they where just playing around , breeching , tale slapping and just having a whale of a time ...excuse pun !!! at one point there where three that breeched at the same time !!, we ended up staying out on the water longer than the 3 hours , because even Colleen thought it was amazing. There where just 6 of us in the boat so there was plenty of chance to get great pictures.
I spoke to several others from our cruise ship that had been on the larger boats that the cruise arranges , and they where very envious of our trip and the photos we'd taken.
Thank you Colleen for a trip of a lifetime.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank 13shibas
Cheshire, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“See whales with Captain Colleen”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This was an awesome trip. We wanted to see whales and originally thought about booking through the cruise ship but then I read some reviews and decided to go with Capt Colleen. We had our own private tour! We had to take the first tender off the ship and Capt Colleen was there to pick us up right outside the security gates. She whisked us away and off we were on our tour. She told us how to spot a whale and once we spotted one, we spotted lots of them! As they moved around we moved with them. She put a microphone in the water so we could hear them. It was awesome. As we were watching, a whale breached about 100 yards from us right behind another boat. It was so awesome and by the time we grabbed our cameras, it breached again. As we were sitting there, a seal lion came up to the boat and was talking to my son. That was the coolest thing. With Captain Colleen, we were the first boat out at the whale sightings and the last to leave. She is very knowledgeable about the area and very friendly. It was an enjoyable trip and would highly recommend.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Justin R
Orlando, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great Time”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We went with Capt. Colleen not knowing what to expect due to Icy Straight Whale adventures not having many reviews on trip advisor. I spoke withCapt. Colleen and she seemed very nice and professional,so we gave her a shot. Upon arrival to Icy Striaight, Capt. Colleen was waiting for us and drove us to the boat. Capt. Colleen is not a native but is very knowledable about the area and knows the waters. The tour was all to ourselves and we had an amazing time. Capt. Colleen knows all the areas to visit for whales. We saw a few whales and other sea animals. It was a good time and the right price. I would recommend this tour to anyone.

3 Thank Cru16110
Sudbury, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Skip the cruise tour and join Captain Colleen!”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This was by far one of the most amazing parts of our cruise! Cptn Colleen gave us great directions, so her vehicle was easy to find from the ship. From there it was a short drive to her boat (which was fairly spacious and comfortable - with an inside cabin to remain warm). She offered us coffee, juice/pop and snacks...and then we were off. We spotted our first whale a few minutes out. It was fairly far away...but I was still happy to see one. In my mind I was thinking that this might be the only thing we see the entire day...but I was dead wrong. About a half hour later, we were in the middle of about 4 pods of whales. It was amazing! One was even right next to the boat. In addition, we saw some sea lions and otters (also amazing!). All in all, the trip was fantastic and there was two things which makes her tour unique:
1-She takes photos with her (super-amazing) camera, and will email them to you...so all you have to do is enjoy the whales!
2-She has this sound device that she puts in the water allowing you to hear the whales better

Amazing trip and an amazing guide. Definitely highly recommend.

1 Thank joshnorth