“Do NOT miss this Whale Watch!!!”
Review of TECKK Outfitters

TECKK Outfitters
Ranked #13 of 19 Outdoor Activities in Hoonah
More attraction details
Owner description: Native Alaskans Keith and Edna Skaflestad invite you to come along with them for a "Real Alaskan Experience."
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went with TECCK on both their whale watch and bear watch. Killian was our morning guide on the bear watch and obviously loves this island where he grew up. He gave us great history of the area and we thoroughly enjoyed it. It was mid September, and although other reviewers saw many bear the week before, we saw only one black bear feeding on salmon in the stream. We KNOW there is never a guarantee, and were perfectly happy with the morning.

In the afternoon, Keith took us on his boat to see if we could find a whale or two. OMAGOSH!!! My husband estimates 75-100 humpbacks playing in the water and putting on quite a show for us. It was amazing & spectacular. I took about 500 photos. Besides the whale, we saw stellar sea lions, otters and it was beyond what we could have ever imagined.

2  Thank Babysis01

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Awesome, was the only way to explain our tours with Teckk Outfitters. While on our Alaskan cruise we stopped in the lovely town of Hoonah for our planned whale watch. We met up with Keith and his pal Josh. The boat was high class, and the guides were great. Instantly felt like old friends. Their knowledge of the area made us feel real comfortable, growing up there. My son thought we saw near 100 whales on our adventure in all. August was a great time to go And Teckk are the people you want to be with. I told Keith our captain some ladies like chocolate or diamonds, but my wife likes whales and he did not disappoint. While we were parked and surrounded by whales, some came up within 30 feet of the bout. To my wife's delight, it might of been one of the neatest things we have ever saw. We were all so please to not be on some big boat filled with people.Just five of us, and Josh and Keith. We just didn't want our fun to end so we paid extra money to have a bear trip the same days once we knew we had the right crew. Josh took us on a beautiful journey and was so pleasant to be with. His knowledge of bears, their life and habits was amazing enough, but of the places he took us we knew we were in bear country. There bears we saw were huge, and momma had some cubs enjoying a nice meal of salmon fresh from the stream. They were so busy eating they didn't seam bothered by the fact we were there. I was very happy that Josh was armed and very watchful for our safety just the same. All the people back on the boat were amazed at what we had saw in just one day looking at our photos, and jealous they didn't go.I will be going back in a year with some friends to do some fishing with Keith, and I look very forward to seeing Josh again. Thanks guys, what a lovely life you have, and for sharing just one day with my family and I. Sincerely, Coe Landwehr

3  Thank Coe L
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We booked this and we are so happy we did. We had a guide named josh who made the afternoon thrilling. He knew exactly where to take us, we saw 9 bears in 3 hours and they were beautiful !!!! When we got back to the cruise ship the passengers who took the cruise line excursion were so happy to see 1 !!!! The guide was awesome! We would definitely do this again

3  Thank Love2vacation12
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We did this bear search tour on the spur of the moment after we finished our whale watching tour with another compnay in Hoonah. This was the thrill of a lifetime! Our guide was Josh and he was FANTASTIC! I can't put into words how informative Josh was and how much knowledge he has of the bears, their habitat, their lifestyle, etc. He knew just where to take us to look for them. We saw 9 bears this day and we enjoyed every one of them. Josh took us into the woods and showed us bear markings on trees, bear tracks and even one of his favorite fishing spots. He's so safety conscious as well and he even put this city girl at ease trekking through the woods. He showed us all the different plants, trees and flowers around the area. He's lived in Hoonah for a while and he really knows the area. He speaks with such respect of the Hoonah people and their culture. I highly recommend TECKK Outfitters while in Hoonah! This is so much more of a personal experience than if you book with the cruise ship excursions. We heard many people on the ship say that with their cruise ship excursion they saw only one bear or even none at all.

1  Thank Carrie M