“You will be sorry as heck, if you don't use Teckk”
Review of TECKK Outfitters

TECKK Outfitters
Ranked #13 of 19 Outdoor Activities in Hoonah
More attraction details
Owner description: Native Alaskans Keith and Edna Skaflestad invite you to come along with them for a "Real Alaskan Experience."
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“You will be sorry as heck, if you don't use Teckk”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Awesome, was the only way to explain our tours with Teckk Outfitters. While on our Alaskan cruise we stopped in the lovely town of Hoonah for our planned whale watch. We met up with Keith and his pal Josh. The boat was high class, and the guides were great. Instantly felt like old friends. Their knowledge of the area made us feel real comfortable, growing up there. My son thought we saw near 100 whales on our adventure in all. August was a great time to go And Teckk are the people you want to be with. I told Keith our captain some ladies like chocolate or diamonds, but my wife likes whales and he did not disappoint. While we were parked and surrounded by whales, some came up within 30 feet of the bout. To my wife's delight, it might of been one of the neatest things we have ever saw. We were all so please to not be on some big boat filled with people.Just five of us, and Josh and Keith. We just didn't want our fun to end so we paid extra money to have a bear trip the same days once we knew we had the right crew. Josh took us on a beautiful journey and was so pleasant to be with. His knowledge of bears, their life and habits was amazing enough, but of the places he took us we knew we were in bear country. There bears we saw were huge, and momma had some cubs enjoying a nice meal of salmon fresh from the stream. They were so busy eating they didn't seam bothered by the fact we were there. I was very happy that Josh was armed and very watchful for our safety just the same. All the people back on the boat were amazed at what we had saw in just one day looking at our photos, and jealous they didn't go.I will be going back in a year with some friends to do some fishing with Keith, and I look very forward to seeing Josh again. Thanks guys, what a lovely life you have, and for sharing just one day with my family and I. Sincerely, Coe Landwehr

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Coe L

Texas
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Best part of Alaska cruise”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We booked this and we are so happy we did. We had a guide named josh who made the afternoon thrilling. He knew exactly where to take us, we saw 9 bears in 3 hours and they were beautiful !!!! When we got back to the cruise ship the passengers who took the cruise line excursion were so happy to see 1 !!!! The guide was awesome! We would definitely do this again

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Love2vacation12
Danville, KY
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“TECKK Outfitters was GREAT!!!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We did this bear search tour on the spur of the moment after we finished our whale watching tour with another compnay in Hoonah. This was the thrill of a lifetime! Our guide was Josh and he was FANTASTIC! I can't put into words how informative Josh was and how much knowledge he has of the bears, their habitat, their lifestyle, etc. He knew just where to take us to look for them. We saw 9 bears this day and we enjoyed every one of them. Josh took us into the woods and showed us bear markings on trees, bear tracks and even one of his favorite fishing spots. He's so safety conscious as well and he even put this city girl at ease trekking through the woods. He showed us all the different plants, trees and flowers around the area. He's lived in Hoonah for a while and he really knows the area. He speaks with such respect of the Hoonah people and their culture. I highly recommend TECKK Outfitters while in Hoonah! This is so much more of a personal experience than if you book with the cruise ship excursions. We heard many people on the ship say that with their cruise ship excursion they saw only one bear or even none at all.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Carrie M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great fun had by all!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband, 2 daughters (9 & 11) and myself went out whale watching with Teckk. We had Keith as our guide and he went out of our way to make sure we enjoyed ourselves. Everyone was very friendly and the boat was great. We saw at least 35-40 humpbacks. Very active from breaching to one with a long tail slap. Can't say enough about how much fun we all had. Don't go on a crowded cruise ship excursion, book direct with Teckk.

3 Thank sstockhaus
Hillsborough, North Carolina
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Great time!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We did a Bear Search through Teckk Outfitters during our trip in Hoonah/Icy Strait Point Alaska. It was fabulous. We went with Keith one of the owners of the company in his truck and it was awesome. It was super comfortable, it was safe, and we spotted quite a few bears in their natural habitat.

There are other tour companies you can go through while in Hoonah on a bear search, but when I was interested in booking this excursion, I wanted to go with someone who was LOCAL, knows bear inside and out, has grown up being exposed to bear, and the fact that he has saved lives during bear attacks doesn't hurt either. So there was no question that when I booked a bear search - I'm going to go with Teckk Outfitters. His sons also have the same experience with bears and we would have been just as comfortable searching with them. We really enjoyed learning about life in Hoonah and what it's like to live in the winters there - not many other tour companies can give you this as they breeze in and out only during the summer. They aren't true locals.

The flora and fauna is beautiful, he was able to show us how he calls bears (and it actually works!!!!!!! They came out - so cool!), he pointed out other wildlife, we went off road - it was exactly what we wanted.

If you are interested in seeing bear while in Hoonah/ISP definitely do it with Teckk Outfitters. You will feel super comfortable and have a great time!

Visited June 2012