“Did not meet our expectations”

Best Western Bidarka Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Homer
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We expected more when we booked this hotel.
The hotel staff was kind and courteous. Check-in was smooth. We were given a room in the non-smoking building which is located at the back of the property. Our room was on the second floor and there was no elevator, so we had to carry our luggage up the stairs. We opened the door to our room and it smelled old, stale, and musty. There also may have been smokers in this non-smoking room previously. The room was outdated with the exception of the TV which looked new. The beds were uncomfortable. The bathroom was old and outdated. The bathroom fan sounded like an airplane and needed repair. There was no air conditioning in the room, only a small table fan. There was a refrigerator in the room. You could hear everything through the door. We constantly heard people talking and walking about, and the floors creaked. The room faced a small dumping ground on the hotel property. There were windows and junk stored outside of our building as well as a trailer and odds and ends all over the grass which was very unappealing.

There was breakfast provided free of charge which was kept clean and filled and had the standard selections. It was well maintained.

There is a Safeway near by which was convenient for groceries and drinks. We also recommend a bakery which is a 5 minute drive for breakfast and lunch sandwiches. I believe it was call the "Two Sisters Bakery" and it was very good and convenient.

We would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WorldTraveler444444

Reviewed August 4, 2010

This hotel smelled terrible!! It smelled so heavy with mold and mildew that you could hardly catch your breath,even with the window open and the fans(noisy) going!! The room was huge (jacuzzi suite) but the bathroom was so small you could not sit on the toilet without hitting up against the toilet paper roll and wall.The jacuzzi did not work too well either,it was old .

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ruby1962
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We stayed here several nights and had two rooms- one with one bed that had an excellent view of the water and another that had two beds- and boy were they heavenly pillowtop beds! VERY comfortable, wonderfully soft sheets! Nice staff members, and an absolutely incredilbe free breakfast- not just your ordinary continental breakfast-- this one was complete with eggs, biscuits and gravy, and sausage. We ate at the on-sight bar/restaurant and it was excellent as well! The rooms both had refrigerators and microwaves- came in very handy!! We even used the on-site laundry. When we fish with Captain Mike again we will definitely stay here!

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank bandit3s
Reviewed April 27, 2010

This is our second time at the hotel--the first time we were happy in the main building ,and this time we were in the annex. Both times we have had pillow-top beds, clean bed spreads, clean bathrooms and free breakfast. I do not understand the bad reviews (maybe recent changes have been made)-we have stayed at other Best Westerns in the state and this is by far the most updated & cleanest one. It's also pet friendly. For the off season price this is as good as it gets in Alaska.
It is also next to the popular Fat Olives pizza place!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Arcticstar
Reviewed April 1, 2010

The Bidarka had a great bed with new linens, a nice bathroom with shampoo and soap in the shower, free coffee in the room, a good hot breakfast with sausage, sausage gravy, fresh fruit, yoghurt, scrambled eggs, bagels, mini muffins, cereal, coffee and juice. The free breakfast room had an ocean view. They also had an exercise room, a public computer, a restaurant and bar. I walked to the visitors center, the beach, and downtown. There were great restaurants within walking distance. They also said they would provide transport from the airport at certain times. The room I had did not have a view of the ocean. Also you could hear people outside the room at night. You could walk to the spit, but it would be a hike. Taxis did seem cheap ($5 from the airport).

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AKTraveler2
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We liked this place. I see that others gave it a bad review. But, for us, it was fine for one night. I booked it through Best Western's website, which is cheaper than other sites. The room was ok, clean, and good enough. The guy at the front desk was very nice and helpful. He suggested a wonderful restaurant, sourdough express, which we totally loved (the name has nothing to do with the great food at this place). Anyway, we definitely liked the Bidarka and would stay again. Did I mention the breakfast was really good - hearty with eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, etc...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2009

My husband and I just stayed here a couple a weeks ago so that he could catch the 6:00 AM ferry to Kodiak. I honestly loved, loved, loved this hotel! It is not too much to look at from the outside, but the room itself was excellent. Everything was refurbished. The carpet was a nice, new green/teal with maroon specks in it. There was a large flat screen TV. A microwave and mini-frig built into the armoire thing that houses the TV. Very nice writing desk. Tastefully matched chairs. Brass lamps. Very, very comfortable bed, with very comfortable pillows, which seemed to be some sort of sythetic down? Alarm clock, wake-up service, pens, writing paper, and every amenity that you would think of in a 4* hotel. I.e. coffee maker with tea, decaf, regular coffee, hairdryer, shampoo, lotion bottles. The bathroom was very nice, nice tile on the floor, and a way high up shower faucet which seemed "spa-like." The bedspread was also very classy. I didn't notice an A/C, but who would need it in Feb? But the window did open and we had a nice partial view of the bay. The room was $75 off season rate, with tax, so it came to about $80. The rate included a free hot breakfast, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Panoramic views over the bay. Scrambled eggs, two types of sausages, yogurt, cereal, an array of juices, including V-8, with nice fancy glasses, pastries, etc. It was self-serve and I really enjoyed drinking coffee out of the nice mug that they provided. I did not check out the gym. Nor did we eat in the restaurant. However, it seemed liked a nice touch to have an attached restaurant/bar. Free internet in your room if you have your laptop. And, it you don't, there was a free lobby computer, which I used. There was also a tea/coffee set-up in the lobby. I noticed on their brochure that they provided free shuttle service from the airport and the ferry terminal. And, they also provided fish services. It's about a block from the main street of Homer, Pioneer Ave, where all the restaurants and art galleries are at. And, the popular pizza restaurant, "Fat Olives," is also a couple of blocks walk along the Sterling Highway, towards the grocery store, Safeway. Walk past "Fat Olives" and you can check out the Ocean and Islands Visitor Center, which is worth a visit. A few "niggles" was that the key card was a little difficult to open the door. And, I overheard the front desk staff talking about how the former manager and different people quitting, and one being let go. Not good or professional. However, all in all, the room was really fantastic. A bit on the small side. However, I have stayed at the Captain Cook, the Sheraton, and he Hilton, all in Anchorage, which were overrated, a bit on the old/worn side when I stayed there, and expensive. I have also stayed at the Land's End and the Pioneer Inn in Homer. The Land's End is good to be near the ocean, but unless you spurge and get the ocean view room, it is nothing to write home about. Their rooms are rather old. And, the rooms overlooking the parking lot have full beds built into the wall, which are supposed to simulate ship beds, with a TV up high. Other rooms that they have, have fold-out bunks, that fold-out from the wall, too. Not fun. And, not fun to have to crawl over your husband, or out the foot of the bed, in order to get out in the middle of the night in order to use the bathroom. When I stayed there, too, they only offered local channels. That might have changed. But I'll tell you, the BW with the large flat screen TV and all the channels was nice! Anyway, I am sorry to read about people's poor experiences at the BW, but I really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple