“Not worth it.”

Best Western Bidarka Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Homer
“Not worth it.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'll start off saying the hotel is conveniently located, and you can't miss it when arriving in Homer which is nice. However, after checking into our room my husband went to use the restroom and when he lifted the seat there was dried urine from the last customer, gross. As if that wasn't bad enough, when I looked behind the bathroom door there was a small bundle of hair...and not the kind on your head. What kind of people do they have cleaning this place? Oh that's right, a few young women with no manners and don't look very well put together. If it were my business, I wouldn't allow my employees to have piercings showing all over their face and I would REQUIRE name tags and CLEAN uniforms. Something I didn't see too much off. I would identify the specific girl I encountered if she were wearing a name tag but she had no manners and has no business being employed anywhere that wants to be presented as a respectable establishment. I approached her and asked if she could take a look at the bathroom and maybe clean it again and she blankly looked at me, rolled her eyes, and stated "my boss already checked it...it's clean, sorry." Smirked, and walked away. And I can't say many others were any nicer. They avoid all eye contact and never once did I get a single "hi". In all of my years traveling and particularly enjoying the Kenai Peninsula these last two visits between the best western and the anchor river inn I am extremely discouraged and disgusted with the kinds of people that are invading these communities. Business owners need to step up and monitor their employees. The room was ok, a bit outdated and overpriced for what you get but it I understand the economy. In my opinion, with a few renovations and some nicer maids it could be a lot better.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Hood River, Oregon
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was a 1-night business trip stop for me. Just like the previous reviews have stated, I agree this hotel is pretty run down, with a few nice things to make it pretty ok. The bed was VERY comfortable, the TV has a zillion channels (altho mine stopped working) and the breakfast was really nice. There's a bar/restaurant on-site which had good service, a bunch of locals hanging out playing darts and pool, and served up a great burger. The free airport shuttle was prompt, and the staff was friendly. I'd stay here for business, but not with the family on a vacation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BizDevRoadee
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a run down hotel with run down rooms that are tweaked just enough to keep it a reasonable place to stay. The beds are very comfortable and the breakfast is great. But the lighting was awful, especially in the bathroom. It is a fairly good value for Alaska ... so yes ... I'll probably be back and stay again when I'm in Homer. But there is really room for a nice Best Western to be built!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AK_Steve_AK
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have stayed here twice, the first time we were on the first floor in a separate building. The room was average for this type of place, was expecting a/c but then again most of AK doesn't have it. The room was average. You have to flip the switch on the surge protector for the electronics to come on, which is easy enough, but we had food to keep cold and it took several hours for the fridge to get the slightest bit cool. Across from our room was pretty dumpy looking and a bit scary. It was however quiet! The second time we stayed we were on the second floor (facing the highway, mid way down the parking lot), the room was not as nice. The bathroom was a little grungy and the room had a nasty smell. It was also on the 2nd floor and we had requested a month before when we booked to be on the first floor. Going back and forth unloading/loading with a toddler and no elevator is not so easy, the stairs were open between the steps so we carried our son and the luggage up/down. Hotel staff called asking us not to use the bath and try putting something in the shower over the overflow. I had given my son a bath with minimal water no where even close to the overflow and the water drained to the room below us. I asked if maintenance was coming up to take a look and she said it wasn't a big enough problem. If we stay here again we will stay in the other rooms, not this one. Breakfast was good, love the waffle maker. We had a car so it wasn't a problem, but if you're walking it's a little far from most places.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Homer
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had a conference there this last weekend.We had the two banquet rooms down stairs. We ask for coffee service on Saturday ONLY, what we did ask for was to come fix a water jug (you push a button and water comes out)instead they brought in a coffee service.They walked in and I told them that is not what I said.(water jug didn't get fixed) he walked out with the service. We went to pay the last day and we were charged for it.They treated me like I was lying to them,(when I said we didn't get it or order it) and made us feel like we where stupid. Two of the girls didn't know how to take the service off our bill,so we had to come back the next day and talk to the head lady (she would not come out and talk to me). At the end we didn't pay for that service but we were made to feel like it was our fault. I have brought them a lot of business over the years! No more! Sad!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank joyfuldj

Travelers are raving about these Homer hotels

Eagle River, Alaska
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We booked a room here online while we had family in from the lower 48. We showed up on the day we booked for to find they had charged our card two days earlier, when we clearly weren't there, and insisted we pay again if we wanted to stay that night. We told them we were not there two days earlier - and they confirmed that - but said that was the day we booked for online and therefore they were charging us for it. There was clearly a mistake in their online service, but they were very rude and unwilling to make things right. I explained that we were there under special circumstances and had family with us and that did not matter to them at all. The manager was very rude and clearly has no moral value as she knowingly charged us for a service that we didn't get. That is theft by most people's standards. We were forced to go elsewhere, rather than pay them double for a one night stay. We ended up staying at a cabin that was on the ocean and quite beautiful for near the same cost. Please think twice before staying here and especially before booking a room online. There are so many better options in Homer than to give money to a business that operates under such dispicable moral standards.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank cll0705
Boise Idaho
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was our 3rd night stay of a 10 day vacation in Alaska. The check-in was smooth and friendly. Our room was large and spacious and very quiet as well considering everyone is up and moving around because the sun never goes down!! The complimentary breakfast was wonderful and located in its own 2nd story room overlooking the ocean.....very nice. Best of all was the sports bar located on the property called "The Otter Room". It has a dark quit area by the fireplace and another area with big TV's where you can whoop it up. After spending 2-3 days in Homer this would be our choice again if and when we return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple