“Good and Bad”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Homer
Anchorage, Alaska
“Good and Bad”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a run down hotel with run down rooms that are tweaked just enough to keep it a reasonable place to stay. The beds are very comfortable and the breakfast is great. But the lighting was awful, especially in the bathroom. It is a fairly good value for Alaska ... so yes ... I'll probably be back and stay again when I'm in Homer. But there is really room for a nice Best Western to be built!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AK_Steve_AK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have stayed here twice, the first time we were on the first floor in a separate building. The room was average for this type of place, was expecting a/c but then again most of AK doesn't have it. The room was average. You have to flip the switch on the surge protector for the electronics to come on, which is easy enough, but we had food to keep cold and it took several hours for the fridge to get the slightest bit cool. Across from our room was pretty dumpy looking and a bit scary. It was however quiet! The second time we stayed we were on the second floor (facing the highway, mid way down the parking lot), the room was not as nice. The bathroom was a little grungy and the room had a nasty smell. It was also on the 2nd floor and we had requested a month before when we booked to be on the first floor. Going back and forth unloading/loading with a toddler and no elevator is not so easy, the stairs were open between the steps so we carried our son and the luggage up/down. Hotel staff called asking us not to use the bath and try putting something in the shower over the overflow. I had given my son a bath with minimal water no where even close to the overflow and the water drained to the room below us. I asked if maintenance was coming up to take a look and she said it wasn't a big enough problem. If we stay here again we will stay in the other rooms, not this one. Breakfast was good, love the waffle maker. We had a car so it wasn't a problem, but if you're walking it's a little far from most places.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Homer
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had a conference there this last weekend.We had the two banquet rooms down stairs. We ask for coffee service on Saturday ONLY, what we did ask for was to come fix a water jug (you push a button and water comes out)instead they brought in a coffee service.They walked in and I told them that is not what I said.(water jug didn't get fixed) he walked out with the service. We went to pay the last day and we were charged for it.They treated me like I was lying to them,(when I said we didn't get it or order it) and made us feel like we where stupid. Two of the girls didn't know how to take the service off our bill,so we had to come back the next day and talk to the head lady (she would not come out and talk to me). At the end we didn't pay for that service but we were made to feel like it was our fault. I have brought them a lot of business over the years! No more! Sad!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank joyfuldj

Travelers are raving about these Homer hotels

Eagle River, Alaska
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We booked a room here online while we had family in from the lower 48. We showed up on the day we booked for to find they had charged our card two days earlier, when we clearly weren't there, and insisted we pay again if we wanted to stay that night. We told them we were not there two days earlier - and they confirmed that - but said that was the day we booked for online and therefore they were charging us for it. There was clearly a mistake in their online service, but they were very rude and unwilling to make things right. I explained that we were there under special circumstances and had family with us and that did not matter to them at all. The manager was very rude and clearly has no moral value as she knowingly charged us for a service that we didn't get. That is theft by most people's standards. We were forced to go elsewhere, rather than pay them double for a one night stay. We ended up staying at a cabin that was on the ocean and quite beautiful for near the same cost. Please think twice before staying here and especially before booking a room online. There are so many better options in Homer than to give money to a business that operates under such dispicable moral standards.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank cll0705
Boise Idaho
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was our 3rd night stay of a 10 day vacation in Alaska. The check-in was smooth and friendly. Our room was large and spacious and very quiet as well considering everyone is up and moving around because the sun never goes down!! The complimentary breakfast was wonderful and located in its own 2nd story room overlooking the ocean.....very nice. Best of all was the sports bar located on the property called "The Otter Room". It has a dark quit area by the fireplace and another area with big TV's where you can whoop it up. After spending 2-3 days in Homer this would be our choice again if and when we return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Southwest Harbor
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I usually stay here when I travel between Homer and Kodiak. The rooms are very adequate and comfortable. The breakfast is always outstanding, actually one Of the best that I have ever come across on a middle class budget. The attached bar and restaurant the Otter room has good food, good company an friendly staff. The hotel staff is also very friendly. The location is very convenient as it is next to the Highway that heads toward Anchorage. The parking lot is very big and can accommodate most vehicle sizes, even if you're pulling a trailer. If your looking for a hotel with a view, then this is not the place for you. They are pet friendly as well.

• Stayed June 2012
frbill92@hotmail.com
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was booked to stay at the Bidarka Inn for three nights. When I arrived I was told that my room wasnot ready even though I requested early check in and yet others who came after me got their rooms. When I returned 2 hours later there was a line for check in and I had to wait another 20 minutes despite the fact that there were two front desk people visiting in the back. I was given a room in the front of the hotel that was so noisy I couldn't even hear the TV because of the road noise and parking lot noise. . . And the noise was constant. The room was a handicap accessible room and the vanity and shower were very inconvenient. This was one of the worst Best Western experiences I have ever had. And the front desk staff was terrible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo