“Warm, Cozy, and Inviting on a Blustery Homer Weekend :)”

Halcyon Heights B&B / Inn
Ranked #8 of 40 Homer B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Anchorage, Alaska
“Warm, Cozy, and Inviting on a Blustery Homer Weekend :)”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

In March 2013, my husband and I stayed at Halcyon Heights in their Quarter Deck room for three nights. Being from Alaska, it is all too easy for us to get wrapped up in the day-to-day and forget just how much this State has to offer. Halcyon Heights B&B helped to remind us why we chose to live in a State that offers seven months of cold, dark winter.

In true Alaskan friendliness, Stephen, Juxia, and Jalad (their Shetland Sheepdog) were warm and gracious hosts. Juxia fixed the most creative, healthy, and tasty breakfasts I have ever eaten. Stephen always made sure my coffee cup was never empty and his knowledge of the local attractions and eateries was spot-on. Each evening (after a full day of adventure) we retired to a clean, warm, and inviting room - which was especially comforting because of the late winter storm that blew in during our stay.

The house itself was bright and cheery with large windows that overlooked Kachemak Bay, hundreds of houseplants, and hand painted beams and cabinets. It was very clear to us that Stephen and Juxia love their house and love to share it with others.

Thank you, Stephen and Juxia, for the relaxing and fun time that we spent with you, we highly recommend your Bed & Breakfast!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ukudigal, Owner at Halcyon Heights B&B / Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Well said DG. We all get busy and "forget to smell the roses " in life. It was our pleasure hosting you at Halcyon Heights in Winter. Actually Homer's winter is quite mild, clearly moose know that very well since they all migrate to Homer. This year they have made dens all over our property, even right outside the kitchen window. And It is not as dark as people think, there are still 6 hours of daylight on the SHORTEST day, December 21 in Homer (Latitude 59 38.1' N). Besides the twilights at dusk and down provide more visible light. It is one of most unique experience for Halcyon Heights guests to watch Sun rises behind the Kenai Mountains and over Kachemak Bay in winter, we invite you come back again if you have never seen how spectacular it could be.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed there in the winter for a few nights. The hosts were extremely friendly and accommodating. I liked the huge living room with the casual decor, the morning sun streaming through the windows and the view of Kachemak Bay far below. Breakfast was delicious too. Much recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank matt t
Ukudigal, Owner at Halcyon Heights B&B / Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thanks for recommending us. Matt. Indeed, it is truly amazing to watch the winter Sun rising from South East direction (just like we were taught in school :) over Kachemak Bay and Kenai Mountains. Glad you like our breakfast. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and come back soon.
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at Halcyon Heights for about a week this past February. The place was very nice and comfortable. We were 2 adults and 1 child. My daughter stayed on a pull out bed, with an EXTRA mattress on it. The Kitchen was roomy with all the ammenities to include some spices for cooking. The bathroom was huge, with 2 seperate sinks, and the cammode in it's own room.

We were rather busy with preplanned activities so we didn't get to visit and spend as much time with the hosts Stephen and Juxia (Ju-shai) as I would have liked as they were very friendly and had all sorts of good suggestions for other activities. They were so nice. They brought us fresh (home made) pot stickers one night. On valentines day they left fresh flowers and chocolates for us! They had board games for us to borrow as well as a ton of movies.

I will definately stay with them again in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for sharing your experience! Tom. We are pleased to know your group are satisfied with the Portside Kitchen Suite and had a wonderful time in Homer. Hope to see you again soon. Last checked, the Igloo you discovered in Wynn Nature Center is still standing! Amazing!
colorado
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My first experience at Halcyon Heights was about 5 years ago, in the summer, and for business purposes. Even though I was the only non-tourist in the full house, I had a great room, and thoroughly enjoyed the food, service, and spectacular views.

I returned this past December, still for business, but under completely different circumstances. It was winter, dark, and very cold. Obviously, it was not tourist season, and I basically had the house to myself. However, the hospitality, and great breakfasts provided by Juxia, were still excellent. She even provided a few fresh seafood dinners for me during my stay. I was there for 10 nights, and I felt very comfortable with my spacious room, and full access to the kitchen. I would have been miserable in a hotel for this long period of time.

All in all, Halcyon Heights is a perfect place to stay while experiencing this small, Alaskan town. I hope to return one summer with my family, and enjoy Alaska for vacation, not for work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ukudigal, Manager at Halcyon Heights B&B / Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
We are pleased to know you had a successful business trip and our inn is comfortable for your extended stay. We wish you did not have to put in so many long hours of work everyday. Only if you could sleep in for one day, you would probably notice the dark December days, actually, can be a pleasant surprise to see a glorious sunrise at 10am in the morning, or breathtaking bright stars and/or northern lights on a clear night. We are really glad you let us take care of you like family. As a small country inn, small and personal touch are part of who we are. Your return visit is our highest compliment. Looking forward to meeting our family soon.
Sapporo, Japan
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I planned to stay this lovely B&B for 4 nights. The place was very quiet (very important for me). My room had a gorgeous bed and a very big elegant bathroom. I didn't have glaciar view but instead I enjoyed moose and rabbits coming by in the garden from my room. Breakfast was really tasty, healthy and looked beautiful. The hosts Stephen and Juxia loved Homer and shared their passion with guests. They had a view of Homer spit and glaciers from the living and dining room. At night it looked magical.
Juxia also ran a travel agency, so she arranged things and fixed some problems for me. It seemed like they really love taking care of their guests and make sure they feel comfortable and enjoy fully Homer experience.
And there was a very friendly dog, Jalad. He was the one which welcomed me first and saw me off.
Somebody told me staying Homer is like living in a post card. Eventually I stayed there for months! It's really a special place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 11solveig14
Ukudigal, Owner at Halcyon Heights B&B / Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thanks for taking the time sharing! We are pleased to know you enjoyed the Forecastle Room so much. I remember how excited you were watching moose and the BIG FEET snow - shoe hare eating dinner outside your window. That is why we say in Halcyon Heights - "Alaska comes to you!" Thanks again, hope to see you again soon.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Halcyon Heights for three nights in early September. We much enjoyed our time there, as we were enthralled by the sheer physical beauty of Homer and Kachemak Bay, and were delighted with our hospitable hosts, Steve and Juxia. They provided us with so much useful information, and helped us with a last-minute reservation for a 1/2 day kayaking trip. Our room at Halcyon was very comfortable, well-appointed, clean and quiet, with an incredible view of the Bay and the glaciers beyond. Our breakfasts were all very good, and we so enjoyed the breakfast table conversations with our hosts and our fellow travellers
(probably fueled in part by all that good coffee Steve served).

Homer is such a scenic community, with a great vibe and lots of good restaurants. Steve's advice on everything from dinner places to coffee shops to scenic drives was always right on the mark. And for my husband and me, being able to play with their well-behaved canine companion made us miss our "gals" back home just a little bit less.

We hope to return to Homer, and would definitely stay at Halcyon Heights again if we are able to make that return trip happen.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our balcony - a great vantage point just outside our room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kemeky
Ukudigal, Owner at Halcyon Heights B&B / Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thanks for taking the time sharing! We are so pleased to know you like the Camboose room and had so much fun on the sea kayaking trip. One tip here for future September travelers, our weather can be unpredictable, yet, the rain never lasts that long, we get some blue skies with sunshine almost, every day. Suggest to allow 3 or more days to take advantage of the natural beauty, rich culture and the great outdoor adventures everyone love! Rain or shine, fresh air is always here.
Bethany Beach, DE
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My family and I stayed there for three nights at the end of August. We could not have asked for more knowledgeable and gracious hosts or more comfortable surroundings. They steered us to the best restaurants and we are picky . The breakfasts were superb. "husband" Steven made sure we were full before we left the table although we did wish coffee were already out for us to serve ourselves when we got uo. The view over the B&B is breathtaking. We loved the ellias wrangle movie Steven showed us. We would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We stayed in a connecting room that shared a kitchen ..we loved it and so did my sister.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are pleased that your family love the Portside & Starboard 2 room 2 bath kitchen Suite. Glad to know you like our recommendations for local dining and sightseeing. We know it is tough to choose what to do with limited time and different interests of each individual family member. Very happy we were able to help and you had a wonderful time in Homer. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and come back soon.