“Never fails to satisfy”

Ranked #3 of 7 Dessert in Homer
Cuisines: Seafood, Healthy, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Description: We are Now CLOSED until Springtime. Looking forward to serving you then. At the Fresh Sourdough Express, we offer food that is both good for you and the planet. ~ Since 1982 we have Served Healthy Hearty Alaskan Cuisine focused on using Local and Organic ingredients. We feature the best Alaskan seafood, pork, and beef plus plenty of Homer-grown vegetables. Offer delicious vegetarian & vegan options using as much seasonal Home-grown produce as possible. There is no skimping on the value you receive when you are served a delicious, robust meal, teeming with regional flavor and quality, from one of our smiling servers. We serve breakfast all day, hearty lunches, daily seasonal specials, to-go meals, and box lunches. Daily baked goodies including gluten-free options and a variety of baked goods made with organic ingredients. Drinks include a raw juice bar, smoothies, espresso drinks, milkshakes, Kombucha and natural sodas All in a fun and friendly atmosphere. Summer Hours 7 am until 3
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Sourdough Express is one of the "must dos" for any Homer vacation. Do the 1/2 day Halibut trip and then go to the Sourdough for brunch. The food is hearty - I'd call it traditional Alaskan stick to your ribs with an environmental/green veggie ethic thrown in.
Baked goods are great.

kysark, Owner at Fresh Sourdough Express, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

We're so glad you enjoyed it!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

All the food here is healthy, delicious, and organic. YUMMY sourdough bread and pancakes. Friendly people. Wondrous bakery counter. We had breakfast and lunch there.

Important! The sign out front says the restaurant is open for dinner, but it wasn't open for dinner at all during our week in Homer.

I'm glad you had a great experience in our restaurant/bakery. We have since fixed the sign so that it does not say that we are open for dinner. I look forward to meeting you on your next time through!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stopped in for lunch after a very long drive down the Sterling Highway. Place looked interesting and had a good menu and good ratings. I really hate to give this interesting little restaurant a three because the food was good enough but the problem had to do with service and may have been beyond their control. They were finishing up (we thought) service for a large group that, though we were told, had changed and morphed and caused an overload and lots of confusion. As a result we waited one hour (we timed it) between the time we placed our order and received our food. I wish that when we appeared at the door that someone would have told us that the wait might be long and we could have made a decision of whether we wanted to wait that long for our food or move on. This was not a matter of waiting for a table. We were seated and our orders were taken within a few minutes thus leading us to believe that we would see food in a reasonable amount of time but didn't happen.

I'm so sorry that your experience was less than superb. You absolutely should have been told when you walked in the door that there might be a wait because of the large group. Usually when that happens, I'm notified and even jump back into the kitchen to make the smaller tables orders while the main cooks push out the big order. Please come back and give us another chance!

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Clean, orderly and inviting. Breakfast meals arrived fairly quick and wonderful! I had a vegan dish and my husband had a traditional with reindeer sausage, which he loved. Sourdough bread was homemade- same with the jelly!
This is also a bakery with beautiful baked goods! We bought a peanut butter and a ginger cookie. These were great!

Thank you so much for the delightful review! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I have been in Homer for a few days now and were recommended to go to The Sourdough by a local on the spit, and we were pleasantly surprised! We are vacationing from the south and for lunch, I had a muffaletta which I absolutely loved. My husband had the reindeer sandwich, which we were at first skeptical about but our waitress was very helpful in describing the dishes to us, and he loved that too! We both decided to get something to go for dessert, I got the bread pudding cheesecake (and it came with a kind of whiskey cream sauce - to die for!) and my husband got the peach cobbler. Both delicious! We definitely hope to make another stop by the restaurant for breakfast some time before leaving Homer!

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I learned to cook in Louisiana so I've added a few dishes with a southern flair, using Alaskan ingredients. I'm SO glad you enjoyed them. Be sure to stop in the next time you are in town!

Been to Fresh Sourdough Express? Share your experiences!