“We'll be camping on the lawn until we've tried the entire menu.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fresh Sourdough Express

Fresh Sourdough Express
Ranked #2 of 8 Dessert in Homer
Cuisines: Seafood, American, Cafe, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At the Fresh Sourdough Express, we offer food that is both good for you and the planet. ~ Since 1982 we have Served Healthy Hearty Alaskan Cuisine focused on using Local and Organic ingredients. We feature the best Alaskan seafood, pork, and beef plus plenty of Homer-grown vegetables. Offer delicious vegetarian & vegan options using as much seasonal Home-grown produce as possible. There is no skimping on the value you receive when you are served a delicious, robust meal, teeming with regional flavor and quality, from one of our smiling servers. We serve breakfast all day, hearty lunches, seasonal daily specials, to-go meals, and box lunches. Daily baked goodies including gluten-free options and a variety of baked goods made with organic ingredients. Drinks include a raw juice bar, smoothies, espresso drinks, milkshakes, Kombucha and natural sodas All in a fun and friendly atmosphere. Please check out our menu. We offer catering services planned with attention to detail for any event. Our Intentions, desires, and beliefs: Customer service makes all the difference in your experience while you dine. It is our intention to serve you in a manner that is welcoming and enjoyable. Buying local helps to build the local economy and assures freshness in all that we prepare. The food we consume directly affects our health and the health of the plant. We strive to be a zero-waste facility by composting all of our food scraps, recycling everything possible, and implement energy efficient appliances and practices into our establishment. Check out our website and find out how we started the Cafe with just $43 and the passion "to make the world a better place one bite at a time." We sincerely look forward to serving you and value your feedback. Open from May until October Summer Hours Open DAILY 8 am - 5 pm daily Off-season Hours 8-3 Closed on Thursday
“We'll be camping on the lawn until we've tried the entire menu.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

OH.MY.GOSH. I don't know where to start. We found our way to this cafe from looking up "best breakfast in Homer". From the moment we walked in, we were greeted with happy smiley faces and chilled out funky music. We started with coffee and it was an AWESOME brew and they even gave us free samples of their baked goods while we waited for our food. We ordered the St. Augestine, the smoked salmon scramble, & cinimon french toast. It was all insanely tastey and blew our minds! The French toast is the best weve ever had! Portions were big, I tried to finish mine because it flippin good, but was stuffed! Our waitress Ala was so nice and helpful! We loved it so much we bought the bread to make our own french toast! We'll be coming back next time were in Homer! Such a gem and awesome to know their progressive in Eco friendly practices and support local organic products!! Yum yum yum!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kysark, Owner at Fresh Sourdough Express, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thanks for the raving review! It's always great to hear kudos on the staff and the food!

Alaska
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just what we needed on a hungry morning! Service was fast and friendly. The scramble with smoked salmon was excellent! Definitely try the sourdough wheat toast with homemade organic strawberry jam (to die for)!

Visited May 2013
We are happy to satiate your hunger anytime!
Keizer, Oregon
“Eggs were perfect, abundance of homemade potatoes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had breakfast at the Fresh Sourdough Express via a recommendation from the Land's End were I was staying. This was a great choice. The service was FANTASTIC!!!! Jenna went above and beyond and was so friendly. I would go back just to have her wait on me again. That kind of customer service is hard to find!

I ordered two eggs over easy with potatoes and sourdough wheat bread. Not only was the service fast, but the eggs were perfectly cooked. I couldn't even eat all of the delicious homemade potatoes and the sourdough bread was thick and hearty and yummy. Make sure you check out the unique spices on every table.

I will be back the next time I am in Homer!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I'm glad you had such a great experience. See you next time!
Eagle River, Alaska
“Still Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I was a little apprehensive when the sign read "new owner", but what a great surprise! We've always stopped in for breakfast each time we visited Homer, and this place never disappointed us. That still applies. the staff is very friendly, and takes care of the customers. We had lumberjack hash (awesome) with a spicy sausage, and French toast (equally awesome). Good regular coffee. I could always count on the sourdough for good coffee. I had the creamy homemade yogurt with homemade granola. Delicious. After reading the reviews, I will definitely be back for the fried chicken.

Visited May 2013
Kathy K, Owner at Fresh Sourdough Express, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
I'm glad you had yet another stellar experience! The Lumberjack Hash was my own personal creation this winter and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed it, as well. I'll see you Saturday night for Fried Chicken made just like my Louisiana grandmother used to make it... soaked in buttermilk overnight, then rolled in cajun-seasoned flour, and fried in peanut oil in a CAST IRON SKILLET!!!
Whitehorse, Canada
“Great local bakery!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I down rated the service only because the staff is so overwhelmed, not because it was bad. Stopped in twice for coffee and pastry, and both mornings the place was jammed...busy, fast-paced and noisy...just what you would expect from a popular cafe.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the great review! We were definitely overwhelmed this weekend. Business is up this year over last, which is a good thing... we just need to get up to speed with staff, which we are working on as I write this!

Been to Fresh Sourdough Express? Share your experiences!