“Eggs were perfect, abundance of homemade potatoes”

Fresh Sourdough Express
Ranked #2 of 7 Dessert in Homer
Cuisines: Seafood, Healthy, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: We are Now CLOSED until Springtime. Looking forward to serving you then. At the Fresh Sourdough Express, we offer food that is both good for you and the planet. ~ Since 1982 we have Served Healthy Hearty Alaskan Cuisine focused on using Local and Organic ingredients. We feature the best Alaskan seafood, pork, and beef plus plenty of Homer-grown vegetables. Offer delicious vegetarian & vegan options using as much seasonal Home-grown produce as possible. There is no skimping on the value you receive when you are served a delicious, robust meal, teeming with regional flavor and quality, from one of our smiling servers. We serve breakfast all day, hearty lunches, daily seasonal specials, to-go meals, and box lunches. Daily baked goodies including gluten-free options and a variety of baked goods made with organic ingredients. Drinks include a raw juice bar, smoothies, espresso drinks, milkshakes, Kombucha and natural sodas All in a fun and friendly atmosphere. Summer Hours 7 am until 3
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had breakfast at the Fresh Sourdough Express via a recommendation from the Land's End were I was staying. This was a great choice. The service was FANTASTIC!!!! Jenna went above and beyond and was so friendly. I would go back just to have her wait on me again. That kind of customer service is hard to find!

I ordered two eggs over easy with potatoes and sourdough wheat bread. Not only was the service fast, but the eggs were perfectly cooked. I couldn't even eat all of the delicious homemade potatoes and the sourdough bread was thick and hearty and yummy. Make sure you check out the unique spices on every table.

I will be back the next time I am in Homer!!!

kysark, Owner at Fresh Sourdough Express, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

I'm glad you had such a great experience. See you next time!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was a little apprehensive when the sign read "new owner", but what a great surprise! We've always stopped in for breakfast each time we visited Homer, and this place never disappointed us. That still applies. the staff is very friendly, and takes care of the customers. We had lumberjack hash (awesome) with a spicy sausage, and French toast (equally awesome). Good regular coffee. I could always count on the sourdough for good coffee. I had the creamy homemade yogurt with homemade granola. Delicious. After reading the reviews, I will definitely be back for the fried chicken.

Kathy K, Owner at Fresh Sourdough Express, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

I'm glad you had yet another stellar experience! The Lumberjack Hash was my own personal creation this winter and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed it, as well. I'll see you Saturday night for Fried Chicken made just like my Louisiana grandmother used to make it... soaked in buttermilk overnight, then rolled in cajun-seasoned flour, and fried in peanut oil in a CAST IRON SKILLET!!!

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I down rated the service only because the staff is so overwhelmed, not because it was bad. Stopped in twice for coffee and pastry, and both mornings the place was jammed...busy, fast-paced and noisy...just what you would expect from a popular cafe.

Thanks for the great review! We were definitely overwhelmed this weekend. Business is up this year over last, which is a good thing... we just need to get up to speed with staff, which we are working on as I write this!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I've really been surprised at the increase in food quality and service since Sourdough changed hands. Kathy's international creations are simply mouth-watering, and her Saturday night soul-food experience results in the best fried chicken EVER! The baked goods and breads are reliably good. Prices are middle of the road, and it can be noisy, but overall, one of my favorite spots in town.

Thanks SO much! I'm glad you loved the food as much as I do!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a small locally owned restaurant that has been in Homer for many years. The initial owners retired and the new ones, while keeping many of the same excellent menu items, have also added many vegan and gluten-free options. I ate a veggie stir-fry over brown rice that had superb flavor and the portion was more than I could eat in one meal. Breakfast is available all day and is also very good. The bakery items are so tasty! Great service, comfortable, and tailored to your needs- what more can you ask?

Kathy K, Owner at Fresh Sourdough Express, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you SO much for your wonderful review! We look forward to serving you again soon!