“Early dinner out on cloudy day on spit”
Review of La Baleine Cafe

La Baleine Cafe
Ranked #6 of 78 Restaurants in Homer
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
“Early dinner out on cloudy day on spit”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Chili and Ramon bowl are what we ordered. Ramen bowl came with a nice size pice of salmon and could be shared. It was a generous size. Cup of chili perfect size. Yummy!

Durham, North Carolina
“Fantastic Food!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had a layover in Homer and ate a late lunch here. We each had the Dungeoness Crab Melt on fresh french bread - and the options for sides were either soup, salad, or curry fries. I chose the curry fries, my husband had the Reindeer Sausage Chili. Also included in the $13 price tag were water, tea, and coffee. The hostess was open to amending the cheese on the melt, because I am lactose intolerant. The food was fresh, delicious and great value for the price! We will definitely be back - they were environmentally friendly, have a variety of options, a bathroom, and indoor and outdoor seating. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for anyone going to Homer! YUM!!

• Visited August 2013
“The ultimate breakfast sandwich!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were, unfortunately, leaving Homer when we stopped here (based on a review I'd read) to grab a breakfast sandwich for the drive. The previous positive reviews did not go far enough.
They use fresh organic, local ingredients and the results are fabulous. We wish we had more days left in Homer so we could eat there for lunch as well.
My husband deemed this the best ever --- toasted ciabatta, fried egg, bacon (can also order without), tomato, cheese, lettuce. Yummmm. Luckily we stopped to eat this as it does get wonderfully messy unless you order the egg more than over easy. It also had fruit on the side; fresh berries and some orange slices. They served free coffee while we waited---Silver Hook, roasted in Kodiak. Also excellent.
The owners also run a cooking school and 2 wilderness lodges, so la Baleine is only open thru early Sept. Don't miss this little gem!

Hickory, NC
“Really great food, nice people”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

A friend of ours that was with us had heard from some friends that this place was good, so we stopped in for lunch. Really glad we did! I had a Salmon Rice Bowl type of thing that was very tasty and quite filling and the two other people I was with really enjoyed their meals as well, including a fritata that my wife had that I got a couple bites of. They only serve breakfast and lunch.

• Visited July 2013
Westchester, NY
“Great Breakfast, Welcoming Spot”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family and I were happy that we came upon this small and friendly place while visiting in Homer in June. We tried the breakfast burrito and the breakfast skillet, and both were excellent, as was the coffee. Seating is limited (we had to wait a bit for something to open up), but on a fine morning you can sit outside as well. Had we been staying longer in the area, we would have definitely returned to try the lunch offerings.

• Visited June 2013