All reviews rv park captain shane european style within walking distance bishop's beach living room shared bathroom fishing charter common areas fat olives great view kachemak bay small room place to stay halibut double bed main building
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Choosing to stay at the Driftwood after reading the reviews was confusing. I kept asking myself, am I in the same place? After retreading them, I realized the reviews (and the traveler photos) are of multiple properties. We stayed at what they call the Historic Inn. Although their website (and many reviews) cite bay views, it is a real stretch. The Inn is across a street from other buildings that are on the bay. The rooms are tiny, very clean and the staff very nice. But. 'Historic' should be interpreted as 'old', not B&B cute. It is basic with the (very clean) bathrooms down the hall. There is nothing wrong with the place, but just know what you are getting into!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7. It was on the end, so had windows on two sides which helped the claustrophobia of being so tiny, and probably the noise factor.
1  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed July 17, 2013

First of all, let me note that the Driftwood is three different properties that are all reviewed under hotels...the lodges (which look very nice) is really a different experience from the historic hotel, and the Rv park is also reviewed as a hotel. I'm strictly reviewing the historic hotel. Here's a quick review...

- Rooms...tiny and uncomfortable. If you plan to spend ANY time in your room besides to sleep, look elsewhere. A full size bed.
- Bathrooms...European shared bathrooms. Adequate, but the shower stall is tiny. I'm a relatively tall, slim guy and everytime I reached down I bumped the valve, resulting in either very hot or very cold water.
- Staff...friendly and helpful
- Clenliness...very good.
-View...don't bother paying for a bay view. It's partially blocked by the much nicer lodges.

Overall, I would have been more content spending more money and staying elsewhere.

1  Thank bike_california
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was by far the nicest hotel we stayed in during our recent Alaska trip. We stayed at the adjacent house to the main building. Great beach view, quiet, peaceful. The room was extremely clean and tastefully decorated. Location is just outside town - we loved the fact there were not many people around. They do not serve breakfast but there are two places that do just down the street. You will not regret if you stay there. The staff was very polite and the room rates are fair.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We came across this location while trying to find another one, and were glad we did! It was small, friendly, great showers and restrooms. The staff was also super and very friendly. Great views and walking distance to town.

Room Tip: We stayed in the RV park in a corner lot across from the water, it was great. Enjoyed dinner at AJ's across the street and good time listening to, and talking with, "Hobo Jim"
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Violet099
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed in one of the Seaside Lodges & the view was spectacular! Our room was quite small but comfortable especially since we had a great kitchen/living area to enjoy. Would highly recommend these lodges.