“Not a good time”

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Homer
Florida
“Not a good time”
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Hoping for a quaint and quiet stay. While quiet, hotel was anything but quaint. Nasty manager. Dark, basement room and smell of mildew in the hallway (despite claim of recent renovation) only added to disappointment. The bathroom shower even has a hand soap dispenser bolted into the wall - can you say classy? Would highly discourage anyone from staying here - simply not worth it.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wearytraveller79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 15, 2008

When you approach this hotel from the outside, you might be reluctant to go in. But please do go in - you will not be disappointed.

As noted in some other reviews, this hotel is in a state of renovation. The owners seem to be starting with the rooms, which are something similar to what you would find in a more upscale hotel. The beds are very comfortable, the furniture and television are great. The size of the room is a bit small, but the bedding and amenities are quite nice and comfortable.

The outside of the hotel looks a bit like a roadside motel, and I did not see the sign as I drove past the place. The parking lot is unpaved, and this all leads to a bit of concern as you get near the place. But once you enter the door, the people are friendly, the rooms are terrific, and you feel very welcome.

I stayed there during the height of the summer season, and I found the rates to be very reasonable for the quality received. My room was quiet and everything worked well.

I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Bed was comfortable and the room was quiet.
  • Disliked — From the outside, the place looks less attractive than the rooms.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Horseshoe Bend, ID
Reviewed June 21, 2008

We stayed at the Beluga Lake Lodge with another couple for four nights during a recent fishing trip to Homer. I have to say we will definitely go back! Yes, they were still remodeling, but the friendly staff makes up for ANY inconvenience that you may experience. We were treated like we were family. Everyone was so wonderful and accomodating right from the first phone call I made to book the room until we checked out. The rooms are slightly smaller that what I am used to but we didn't spend much time in them, and the wonderfully soft, welcoming bed sure made up for the size of the room. We had a desk and chair as well as a large screen tv with access to several channels. The other couple's room was the same. there is a wonderful large deck outside with a beautiful view. All in all we were very, very pleased and can't wait to go back and see how the remodeling project has turned out. We are all ready planning another trip to Homer and will definitely contact the Beluga Lake Lodge first!

• Liked — The wonderfully soft beds :o) and the friendliness of the staff.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Palmer, AK
Reviewed April 30, 2008

This was a decent place to stay...it served our purposes well. The price was right ($56/night) and we were able to bring our dog. It wasn't The Ritz, but it was clean and got the job done. I was pleased that it seemed we weren't put right next door to other guests, and vice versa. It was remarkably quiet. It was also remarkably small...a queen sized bed and about 2 feet all the way around was all the space we had...but there's free wireless internet in the room and cable TV. It wasn't a place we lounged around in, but that wasn't our need. I'd certainly go back again. I also found the manager to be friendly, even though she seemed to be juggling the last minute repairs before "the season" starts. (We stayed the last week in April.)

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank merrymaryallegra
Homer
Reviewed March 31, 2008

"Nice and quiet"
I've stayed @ the Beluga Lake Lodge multiple times. And I loved it! It was a nice and quite stay. The rooms are nice and cozy. I aspecially liked the pillow top matresses. It was great to stay in a room for a week and have to sleep in comfort! Not only that but the house keeping was awesome!
I will most definetly stay there again! No questions asked!

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank KIK21
MN
Reviewed February 24, 2008

I had no problems at all. I flew into Homer from Anchorage after the office was closed but someone stayed there just to check me in. My room was nice and clean and the people friendly and helpful. I will stay here again and it is by far the best value in Homer.

• Liked — Clean and quiet
  • Disliked — Washing machine out of order
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank TraveloneMn
Homer AK
Reviewed December 13, 2007

tHIS IS NOT A FAKE REVIEW. I did not stay there. I would rather sleep in a tent. Beluga Lake Lodge does weekly rates. I have spoken with them on the phone for several weeks on occasion for information. I was told I could have a refrigerator and microwave in my room. I also asked about a desk as I am writing and doing research. One room had a refrigerator and microwave and desk. It was very tiny. I was shown a larger one which needed some work on the wall in the bathroom, the curtains needed fixing, there was no desk and no fridge or microwave. I felt this room would work for me as it is out of the way and perhaps would be more peaceful for research and writing. I went to the desk to ask the manager and she became very angry immediately. She said,"You people think we should always be accomodating you". I am not sure who "you people" are. I guess she means customers. She found it infuriating that a customer would ask for something. GOOD GRIEF! She said she was upset that all these people are coming to stay on the weekly, "long term" rate. Why then do they advertise they rent by the week. I asked to speak to the owner and was told I was not allowed to. They would not even give me his name. I am stunned. I have never been treated so rudely in all my life. I would have been a very quiet non-intrusive guest. I just needed a way to store some food and heat it. What I needed was available. She actually told me I should go and buy my own reftigerator. UNBELIEVABLE! Yes, please contact me if you wish.

Stayed December 2007
3 Thank aspiecelia
slipknotsunshine, Marketing Manager at Beluga Lake Lodge, responded to this review, February 29, 2008
We at the Beluga Lake Lodge make every attempt to provide exceptional guest service. Upon rare occasion, however, we do fall short of these goals; when this happens we do everything within our ability to turn the guest's disappointment into a positive experience, which is exactly what we attempted to do related to the above situation. We took the following actions to try and rectify this situation for the guest:

1) We showed the guest several different rooms, but no single room had the desired combination of location, size, and amenities; we were in the midst of room renovations, as many Alaskan hotels are in the wintertime, and had a limited amount of rooms available.

2) At NO TIME did we suggest that the guest purchase her own refrigerator; we offered several times to have a refrigerator brought in, but every solution presented another problem with the agreed-upon room.

3) When it became clear that we would not be able to accommodate the guest in the manner in which she desired, she became quite verbal and demanded the name and phone number of the owner; not only was the owner out of state at the time, but the staff is not permitted to give out his personal information for obvious reasons.

We deeply regret that we weren't able to accommodate this customer, but we assure our future guests that they will receive the highest level of service to complement their accommodations.

Travelers are raving about these Homer hotels