“Top Notch Air Service Operation, with TURBINE OTTERS”

Bald Mountain Air Service
Ranked #7 of 69 Outdoor Activities in Homer
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Your Alaskan brown bear adventure begins with Bald Mountain Air Your floatplane trip is over some of the most scenic country Alaska has to offer. Prepare for the awe-inspiring beauty awaiting you on this amazing adventure. And, if it's bears you want to see ... we guarantee it! It doesn't get better than this: a fabulous floatplane ride with eye-popping views; landing in a pristine Alaskan wilderness on a floatplane with an honest-to-goodness lifelong Alaskan bush pilot, followed by the best day of your life watching nature's most magnificent creatures, the Alaskan brown bear.
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Gary the owner is very picky about who he hires and how he runs his operation. His Turbine powered Otters are faster across Cook Inlet than the competition using regular engines. Plus is planes are spotless and well maintained. He owns his own hangars and maintenance facilities, and that helps keep the planes in tip-top shape. This is a larger scale operation, as he also has aircraft in other parts of the State. ( to include Polar Bear view up north) I am a commercial pilot who likes to find faults with the flying habits of others. I have not found any here and I would put my kids on any plane being flown by Bald Mountain Air.

1  Thank Alex C
in 2 reviews
"ranger station"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was my second trip with Bald Mountain, and they did not disappoint, this time I took my daughter and 2 friends with me, and they agreed with me, an absolutely fantastic day, worth every cent. we sat amongst the bears and watched them catch and eat fish, one even came and sat near us twice to eat his fish. We also saw 2 young bears wrestling and playing, standing on their back legs and boxing it was amazing. We went to Funnel Creek, we landed on a small lake and then walked about 1km to the river. Thank you Bald MT Air for another day I will never forget. This is one for everyones bucket list that visits Alaska.

1  Thank SusiefromTassie
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We did the tour at the beginning of August and were flown to Moraine Creek/ Funnel Creek. The flight there was very pretty. Once we got there we ended sitting up a cliff and looking down at the creeks and the bears. There were many brown bears down and few can up the cliff and were quite close to us. The guides were informative and knowledgeable and obviously loved what they were doing.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had the most amazing day with Eric and the bears...28 of them to be exact! Our trip was delayed about an hour and half due to fog. I was secretly hoping that it would be cancelled because I was nervous about getting in a float plane. When the fog lifted, we took off and it was the best flight I've even taken. It was such a smooth flight, it was surreal. After a short walk to the river we settled in to watch bears EVERYWHERE! There were so many of them and they were so close. It was absolutely the best travel experience and worth every cent. Ask to go with Eric...he was the best!!!!

2  Thank trishlowe
See more reviews
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Went on Bald Mt. Air via float plane to Katmai National Park. Found out most of the bear viewing planes are more like taxis that drop you at the site. At Katmai National Park we met with Rangers who gave a short talk what to expect and how to act when you run into a bear. No food is allowed on your walk in the park but there is a place to store food at the ranger station along with make-shift bathrooms and an enclosed place where you can eat. It is about a 1.5 mile walk (easy) to the water falls to see the bears. Enjoyed all the bears.