“Great Family Run Business”
Review of Ashore Water Taxi

Ashore Water Taxi
Ranked #3 of 5 Transportation in Homer
More attraction details
Owner description: Ashore Water Taxi, now in our tenth year of operation, is a family owned business providing boat tours, kayak tours, SUP rentals and transportation to Kachemak Bay State Park and surrounding communities.We are always ready to book hikers, campers and kayakers to any destination in the park, and the stability of our boat makes it a great platform for wildlife photography. Gull Island Rookery, sea otters, eagles and whales are all popular subjects.Scheduling is determined by the needs of our clients, all departures and pick ups are customized on a first come first served basis.When adventure,safety and dependability are what you need, Ashore Water Taxi is who you want.
Soldotna, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Family Run Business”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We used Dave's water taxi service to take a day hike over to Grace Ridge. His boat has a nicely sheltered cabin that kept the cold out and a friendly dog that accompanied us. He seemed knowledgeable about the area, especially the wildlife, which he was happy to share. Most importantly, Dave took us over and got us back in a timely fashion. Moreover, he and his wife Louise were nice people that seemed to take good care of their clients and of the natural resources around them. They are running a family business and it gives off that vibe. I got the impression they would have helped us out of any jam, should the need have arisen. We will use them again next time we're in Homer, and recommend them to anyone else too.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank PGMD

• Korean first
New South Wales, Australia
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 256 helpful votes
“Great Alternative to the Larger Tour Operators in Homer”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

If you're seeking to explore Kachemak Bay in a smaller boat where you can get more upclose and personal with the wildlife or just want to customise your trip, hop aboard with Dave and his dog for a trip to suit YOU. We spent a lovely hour or so cruising around the bay looking for otters & puffins. Whilst the weather wasn't great, we still managed to find what we were searching for and enjoyed our time out on the water. Their booking office is opposite Captain Patties on the Spit.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank tez823
Anchorage, Alaska
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“They're kind of a GOOD deal! You can say that again!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I've used water taxi services in several places in Alaska and have found there is a definite difference between them! Captain Dave was on-time, helpful and a great deal. Best part was that he also allowed my dogs to come along, let them ride on his benches when they were nervous, and gave them dog biscuits. Above and beyond any normal "taxi" driver! He was right on time to pick us up at the dock and right on time to pick us up 2 days later. I've already recommended him to a co-worker and will continue to recommend him to everyone I know going to Homer.

BIG kudos as well to Louise, who REALLY went above and beyond by finding a place to stay for 4 people and dogs for only 1 night in the height of tourist season on 1 day's notice. She really saved my hide as I was busy at work and she put in all the legwork calling around until she found me a place to stay. Thanks again, Louise! We'll see you again soon.

My recommendation is skip Mako's and call Ashore Water Taxi for a great experience. They'll get you where you need to go and make you laugh a lot on the journey there.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank TeleKelley
Greenville, North Carolina
“The best of the best on the Spit”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I've had the pleasure of fishing, hunting, clamming, and pleasure boat-riding with help from the guys from Ashore Water Taxi, and have nothing but good things to say about them. Boat captain Dave is on-time... an expert on where and when to hook a halibut, great places to bag a big goat, and a damned fine skipper when the wind picks up and things get dicey. With big bucks on the line and my opportunities limited by finite funds and vacation time, there are none better than Captain Lyon. I have, and would again, trusted that guy with my funds, my time off work, and my family's lives. Dave's the man. Look no further.

Visited July 2011