“Best Kayaking Trip Ever”

North Country Charters
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had never gone sea kayaking and this was simply awesome. The guide was knowledge and patient with teaching us how to use the equipment and gave us lots of information about the area. We had a chance to stop and get out and we even saw a sea otter. The water taxi to and from the dock was fun as well, passing Gull Island and chances to see other wildlife. I highly recommend this if you have any interest in water sports.

All reviews
"these guys"
in 6 reviews
"ship home"

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Three of us booked on an all-day multi-species 6 person fishing charter, and had a terrific time. The captain, Eric, worked his tail off to make sure we had every fishing opportunity we possibly could, in light of the extremely windy weather. We all caught our two halibut in the morning, then spent some time catching rockfish. Since we couldn't get to the location for the ling cod due to the high winds Eric set us up for some of the most incredible salmon fishing I've ever experienced. We often had multiple fish on at one time, regardless of if we were fishing for halibut, rockfish, or salmon. Great trip!

2  Thank ND_bike_hike
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Husband said "best thing in 13 days of Alaska". Very nice! Great charter, wonderful Captain, deckhands and fishing. We joked we were getting tired and hoped for a minute without a bite/fish! The halibut were even biting baitless hooks! I swear, I witnessed it! Several different choices of fishing but we loved our all day halibut trip and will enjoy another feast from our loaded freezer tonight! Thanks Captain Sean, Walter and JR! We had a BALL!

1  Thank autumn_aspen
Reviewed July 31, 2012

charters on a 20-something foot boat out of Homer Alaska. Our trip with Ben Martin on the "Fringe Benefit" July 12th was a horrific experience. My wife and I had booked a full day, longer range all day halibut/lingcod charter. In the morning Capt Martin stated that we would likely be unable to make it out far enough to fish for lingcod. We had no problem with that. Instead of canceling the lingcod portion of the trip initially, Capt Martin took the boat out into very rough waters resulting in severe sea sickness. First vomiting, then dry-heaving. Seeing that it was impossible to fish in the outer rough waters, Capt Martin then decided to fish in closer, less rough water. By then the damage was done and the rest of the day was miserable. As previously mentioned, it would have been far wiser to abort the lingcod portion to begin with and spend more time fishing the nearby "chicken holes".

I certainly don't blame Capt Martin for my wife and I becoming seasick, that is a chance you take when going out on charters in less than ideal weather. That being said, in my opinion the decision to drive around in rough water for a couple of hours was poor.

My biggest complaint with the boat "Fringe Benefit" is that it is small. There is nothing approaching a chair outside the boat's cabin. The bathroom our "head" was miniscule and next to impossible for a large person to fit into. Being overweight, I literally had to squirm through the door to enter, pinned by both of it's sides during the attempt. Once inside, there is very, very little room. While I am admitedly overweight, others on the boat had difficulty as well. Another man, who was not overweight, but full sized walked down the steps to the head. He tried to walk into the head, but also had trouble getting through the door. Someone had asked him what he was doing, and he stated "I thought I was going to the bathroom." Having fished off numerous other charter boats in Michigan & Alaska I have never encountered a head that small. When suffering from sea sicness the last thing you should be worried about is squeezing into the bathroom.

It was mildly annoying that Capt Martin spent much of the trip focused on two of his passengers who had spent about a week booking charters with him, and had numerous future dates booked. I guess from a business sense that was the correct approach, but it was quite obvious.

In fairness, Capt Ben Martin was polite and personable. But that just wasn't enough to make up for the above mentioned issues. While many praise "6-pack" boats as being a superior experience as opposed to larger charter boats carrying more passengers, I just don't see it. In ideal, calm waters smaller 6 pack boats may be the way to go, but how often is that? In any case, my next booking will be aboard a larger, more accomodating charter boat.

10  Thank master_angler_dave
See more reviews
Reviewed July 30, 2012

July 23 2012 we needed to be at the dock 5:45 am, so what, that is what it takes. Eric, a mature experienced young man was our captain. He got us out into the deep waters and avoided choppy windy conditions of the ocean. All of us paid $80 extra for Ling Cod fishing but the ocean was too rough that day. They refunded that portion, so we spent it on a fish dinner. [ yes get your wallets ready, expensive ] He had all 6 rods new and ready, Shimano Penn, with the approtiate weight for the different current strengths and changed them as needed. He baited each rod, added chum and all 6 of us caught the limit of 2 each. One man reeled in a nice 38 lb fish. Eric was patient and helpful with each of us. The head was over sized. The boat was about 28', older but clean and safe. Eric gave us a safety overview before set out. You could fish and sit down too. It was our first fishing trip in Homer and we would go back again to be on Eric's boat or book with North Country Charters. Eric is working towards a degree in nursing. Do not be fooled, there are so many charters in Homer it will make your head spin. Homer deep sea fishing is for persons in fairly good shape. Wear waterproof layers, it was cold and rainy the day we fished.
Do the research, ask many questions.

3  Thank Di L

Been to North Country Charters? Share your experiences!