“Two great days with Skookum”
Review of Skookum Charters - CLOSED

Skookum Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Along with king and silver salmon fishing, retired newspaper photographer and author Jim Lavrakas offers a "Photo Safari" aboard his 27-foot "Skookum", roaming Kachemak Bay in search of your perfect photo. I'm looking forward to being your photography "coach"! Logbook: Leave the Homer dock 9 a.m., head to Gull Island bird rookery near Halibut Cove for seabirds including puffins and cormorants. Then tour the south side of Kachemak Bay in search of marine animals like Dall's porpoises, sea otters, orca (killer) and humpback whales. Many opportunities to see and photograph bald eagles. Occasionally we'll see black bears. Return to Homer by 3 p.m. One rate for the entire boat: $650 plus Sales Tax/ 1-6 persons / 5 hours
Littleton, Colorado
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Two great days with Skookum”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My wife and I did 2 tours with Skookum. We did the Feast of the Seas tour the first day then did the photo safari the second. Both were wonderful, and I am glad with did both. The Feast of the Seas tour is perfect for folks that want to try a little fishing but not just do that and not haul a bunch of fish home. We fished for a few hours in wonderful scenery and both my wife and I caught a few fish (plenty for eating) then headed to Jim's cabin on the bay and to eat it. Then we headed out for a few hours of sight seeing (but the sight seeing starts right away - I was splitting time between fishing and photography, but favoring photography). The 2nd day we did the photo safari. Captain Jim set up shots for me that are absolutely wonderful. When I showed them to friends and family back home, it was difficult to get folks to believe they were my photos. One of the main reasons I wanted to go to Homer was to get some good photos of eagles. Skookum delivered - got got fantastic shots of eagles, and not just a few. I was also able to get some pretty good photo's of puffin, which is not easy (small, fast, and fly away). For the puffin, Captain jim would cut the engines and float towards them so the would not be scared off, and we were able to get fairly close. Because I was determine to get a good Puffin photo, Jim has patience and worked it until I got some get pics. The only disappointment was we did not get to see any killer whales. That possibility existed, but never came across any (and no reports of other charters finding any either, whereas there was reported activity the day prior). But that gives me an excuse to go back a do it again someday.

Visited June 2012

hawaii
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 226 helpful votes
“THIS IS A GREAT TRIP !”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Family of five with kids ranging from 11-19 really enjoyed this unique Feast from the Sea experience.
We were all able to enjoy a very interesting tour of some tide pools next to the captains cabin.There were all kinds of crabs,sea urchins,chitins,starfish and the kids were fascinated by all the life in these little shallow pools and streams.
We were provided wading boots.
Next we were off for our fishing expedition and our kids were all able to catch a fish and our youngest daughter was very excited to pull two rockfish from the sea which the captain kept for our lunch.
The food prepared for us was fantastic and along with the beautiful setting was very impressive.
This is a tour that we all enjoyed and would definitely recommend and in my opinion is especially good for families.
Mr Lavrakas was very nice and professional throughout our tour.

My teenager caught a huge rockfish which may have approached trophy status and she was very excited with her catch!
She was quickly posting her photos on instagram and facebook!
We spent about 2 plus hours fishing and headed back to that small cute cabin in the woods on an island only accesible by boat.
Along the way we spotted sea otters and bald eagles.Keep your cameras ready b/c the captain throws some of the remains of the fish that he had already cleaned up for eating out by where some bald eagles nest in a tree and they come flying down with their claws out and snatch up the fish -its all pretty amazing.

Visited June 2012
Shreveport, Louisiana
“this is really good”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

More than expected. personal nature of host was wonderful. the lunch at their cute cabin was the hit of the trip. don't miss this one.

Visited September 2011
Carlisle, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic trip, highly recommended!”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Went out on 8/26 with Capt. Jim Lavrakas for the Feast from the Sea tour. It was my wife and I, along with her parents (who are in their late 60's, early 70's).

We initially had thought about a full-day halibut trip, but decided that a more "local" trip might be a better idea. After our day on the water I can certainly say we made the right choice!

We met the Capt. at the marina around 9 am and he got us all set up and off we went. Very knowledgeable guide who gave us a ton of good info about the area, wildlife, sea-life, etc). He took us into some of the smaller bays on the other side of Kachemak Bay, where we started to fish.

First cast, Fish On! Was very cool to see my mother-in-law pull in a small halibut on her first cast! Lots of catch and release on this trip, as Jim is very conservation-conscious. He takes great care to see that any fish that are not kept are safely returned to the water unharmed.

Anyway, caught tons of fish (Yelloweye Rockfish, China Rockfish, Halibut, Sculpin, Greenling, Dusky Rockfish) and even some big Tanner Crabs! Along with the fish, we saw lots of wildlife along the way (sea otters, dozens of bald eagles,)

We fished for a few hours and headed to Jim's cabin in one of the nearby coves where his wife Ruth was waiting to cook up our catch. She made one of the tastiest batches of Cioppino I've ever had! Nothing beats fresh fish that you caught only hours before!

Really great time and we were back at the marina in Homer by 3:30 that afternoon.

Like I mentioned before, this was a great trip that I'd highly recommend to anyone visiting the area. The scenery in Kachemak Bay is breathtaking, and it's great fishing in such deep water, so close to shore. Add the great food to that mix and it's a definite winner!

Thanks Jim & Ruth!

Visited August 2011
Tacoma, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun for everyone”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We had a group of 11 -- two preteens, two older teenagers, and the rest 50 something friends. Jim's boat can only accommodate 6 passengers, so we booked two days of the "Feast from the Sea" tour -- half of us went on the boat each day, the other half checked out the shops around Homer and went beachcombing. (My 17 year old son who really likes fishing went on the boat both days.)

Even though there was a wide range of ages and interests (only a couple of us had done any significant fishing before) we all had a great time. Jim was full of interesting information about the area. We got to sample three types of fishing -- rockfish, cod, and salmon -- and one day we also did a little crabbing. Jim knew just where and when to go to catch fish, so everyone was able to have success. In addition to fishing we had a great time taking in the beautiful scenery and wildlife (bald eagles and sea otters). We stopped at Jim's remote island cabin for a delicious meal featuring a cioppino made from some of our catch in the morning. While we were at the cabin we also had the chance to do some looking at tide pool creatures (sea anemones, crabs, brittle stars, etc.).

One thing that really impressed me about Jim is how willing and able he is to adapt to the interests, abilities, and desires of the those on the tour. He also has a nice way of balancing fishing with conservation -- for example encouraging us to release a large female rockfish that was obviously full of eggs. Jim seems to have endless energy. We were all happily tired by the end of the day, and Jim was doing most of the work.

At the end of the day we had a good haul of fresh fish that Jim cleaned and fileted for us. This was one of the highlights of our trip to Alaska.

Visited July 2011